Exploring NiTiNOL and TECs for Response Time Improvement

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of shape memory alloys (SMA) and thermoelectric coolers (TEC) in a project. The goal is to increase response times by using TEC and possibly using it to heat the wire as well. The issue of controlling temperature and position of the SMA is also raised, with a suggestion to use a feedback proportional controller. The use of an Arduino is recommended as the cheapest and simplest way to build it. The length of the wire does not seem to be significant in this project.
petitericeball
So I posted this in the Electrical Engineering forum, and with 41 views and no replies, it appears I put it in the wrong forum, so here we go...

Hi, I'm currently working on a project and I was wondering whether you guys were familiar with these "devices". SMA's are shape memory alloys, and TEC's are thermoelectric coolers/peltiers. I tried looking for a pretty long time to find the specs on shape memory alloy (more specifically NiTiNOL) and can't seem to be able to find the any force tests. The idea for this project is to increase response times by using a TEC rather than air cooling, and possibly using the TEC to heat the wire as well, depending on if it would be faster to heat with current running through the wire, or with the TEC.

I'm also wondering how I would control this. I'd assume I'd need to monitor temperatures so I don't "reset" the SMA, and I'd also need to monitor position (length) of the SMA, but since length/force/temperature are related, there might be a way to connect the 3 with some amount of error due to changes in ambient. I'm planning on using wires around 1mm maybe, and will probably eventually be using a 100ma or so lipo battery to run this.

Thanks so much!

Engineering news on Phys.org
All you need to do is to control temperature to hold the desired value.

A simple feedback propotional (or proportional-integral) controller can do the job. Probaby an Arduiino is the cheapest simplest way to build it.

I don't see where length of the wire matters.

1. What is NiTiNOL and how does it relate to response time improvement?

NiTiNOL, short for Nickel Titanium Naval Ordnance Laboratory, is a shape memory alloy that exhibits unique properties such as superelasticity and shape memory effect. It is commonly used in various industries, including aerospace and medical, due to its ability to change shape and return to its original shape when heated. In the context of response time improvement, NiTiNOL is often used in conjunction with Thermoelectric Coolers (TECs) to improve the response time of electronic devices.

2. How do TECs work and what role do they play in response time improvement?

Thermoelectric Coolers (TECs) are solid-state devices that use the Peltier effect to create a temperature difference across the device. When an electric current is applied, one side of the TEC becomes hot while the other side becomes cold. This temperature difference can be utilized to cool or heat electronic components. In the context of response time improvement, TECs can be used to quickly cool down or heat up NiTiNOL, which in turn can improve the response time of electronic devices.

3. What are some potential applications of using NiTiNOL and TECs for response time improvement?

The combination of NiTiNOL and TECs can have various applications in industries such as aerospace, medical, and consumer electronics. For example, it can be used to improve the response time of sensors and actuators in aircraft and medical devices. It can also be used in consumer electronics such as smartphones and laptops to improve the response time of touchscreens and other electronic components.

4. Are there any limitations or challenges when using NiTiNOL and TECs for response time improvement?

One of the main limitations of using NiTiNOL and TECs for response time improvement is the cost. Both materials can be expensive, especially when used in large quantities. Additionally, the integration of these materials into electronic devices may require specialized expertise and equipment, which can also add to the cost. Other challenges include optimizing the design and finding the right combination of materials for a specific application.

5. What are some future developments or advancements in the use of NiTiNOL and TECs for response time improvement?

As technology continues to advance, there will likely be further developments in the use of NiTiNOL and TECs for response time improvement. This may include the development of more efficient and cost-effective manufacturing processes, as well as new designs and combinations of materials. Additionally, there may be advancements in the integration of these materials into electronic devices, making them more readily available for various applications.