Shear stress-strain curve

In summary, the speaker is working on liquefaction resistance of sand and needs help from their physicist colleagues in drawing shear stress-strain curves. They are using a model container with acceleration transducers at different depths and have a general idea of how to draw the curves but are unsure. They propose using the formula t=sigma miai where t is shear stress, mi is mass, and ai is acceleration, but they are confused about how to determine shear strain. They also mention that the sand is saturated and they have accelerometers measuring both the sand and container wall.
hooman_m
Dear colleagues
I`m working on liquefaction resistance of sand utilizing shaking table tests.
i want to draw shear stress-strain curves for each test and i need help from you,my Physicist colleagues. my model container is 200*70*50cm and i`ve put acceleration transducers at depth 7,21 and 35cm from top.I have a general idea of how i can draw shear stress-strain curves using time history of acceleration but i`m not sure about it.i would be more than happy if you can help me.
I guess for determining shear stress at any point i can use t=sigma miai from top to the point of interest.which t is shear stress ,mi is mass at any point and ai is acceleration at any point.and i simplify the process by assuming acceleration is linear through depth.am i right about the process? and i`m so confused how i can determine shear strain at any depth.
i would appreciate your help

Engineering news on Phys.org
First you need to get your concepts correct.

Force (not stress) = mass x acceleration, .

Stress = force/area

Second it is a good idea to define all the terms in your proposed formula. What is sigma?

You also need to realize that in a granular material such as sand the mechanism for carrying stress depends upon the water content.

What do the accelerometers measure the acceleration of? The sand or the container wall?

τ=∑〖m_i a_i 〗/area of the face of container wall and sand is saturated.i put the mentioned accelerometers into the sand so it measures the acceleration of saturated sand.i also measure the acceleration of container wall with another accelerometer if it helps.

What is a shear stress-strain curve?

A shear stress-strain curve is a graphical representation of the relationship between shear stress and shear strain for a material. It shows how a material responds to applied shear stress by deforming or shearing.

How is a shear stress-strain curve measured?

A shear stress-strain curve is typically measured through a shear test, also known as a torsion test. In this test, a sample of the material is subjected to a twisting force, and the resulting deformation is measured to determine the shear stress and strain.

What information can be obtained from a shear stress-strain curve?

A shear stress-strain curve can provide important information about a material's mechanical properties, such as its shear modulus, yield strength, and ultimate shear strength. It can also show the material's ability to withstand shear stress before failure.

How does the shape of a shear stress-strain curve vary for different materials?

The shape of a shear stress-strain curve can vary greatly depending on the type of material. For example, ductile materials will typically have a more gradual curve, while brittle materials will have a more steep and sudden drop-off point.

What factors can affect the shape of a shear stress-strain curve?

The shape of a shear stress-strain curve can be influenced by various factors, including the composition and microstructure of the material, the temperature and environment in which the test is conducted, and any previous treatment or deformation the material has undergone.