Uh I need a runway, really let me explain

• Thread starter rhody
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Explain
In summary: BMW has the "feel" nailed down. In summary, the bike is a work in progress that includes Ohlins shocks, a PUIG windscreen, Satos rear sets and racing hooks, Yoshimura fender eliminator, Racing Products case covers, stator/clutch, swingarm spools, Heli bars, Pazzo Racing levers, custom paint, front/rear wheels, black on red, and custom paint, rear swingarm.
rhody said:
Kris,

First bike ? Are you a hopeless gear head like yours truly, or just trying the sport to see if it suits you ?

Rhody...

Yep, first bike, a big bike to start on I've been told.

And yes, I'm pretty much a hopeless gear head, I've been wanting a street bike for a long time now, and been riding dirt bikes (never raced, I prefer just trail riding) since I was young. I just believe that the two wheel transit system is the best system one can have.

Physics news on Phys.org
Here's our car on a runway.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, all packed, well almost, (see thumbnails), headlights, taillights taped, test video for steering head mounted Contour HD camera came out fine. The audio is raspy (not wind noise, the exhaust of the bike sounds funny, like bees in a can, doesn't do it justice at all). Working on that now.

Staying over in NH tomorrow evening. Then track day bright and early Tuesday morning. There will be 30 other guys there. Am taking my laptop too so I may be able to post my first video shorty after. It will be bare bones at first unless I take the time and effort to get video editing software, will add captions, music, as I learn as I go. Hope to report back safe and sound...

Rhody... :wink:

Attachments

• Biketruck1.JPG
    Biketruck1.JPG
    55.3 KB · Views: 380
  • biketruck2.jpg
    biketruck2.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 399
  • biketruck3.jpg
    biketruck3.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 403
Thought I'd put aside my lurking tendencies for a moment and actually post something in here :)

I just got back from an amazing Alaska trip a few days ago...from Edmonton we got on the Alaska Highway at Dawson Creek and followed it to Whitehorse. From Whitehorse we hit the Klondike highway and went to Skagway then got on the ferry to Juneau then on another ferry to Ketchikan and Prince Rupert. Then home from there. Was gone for almost two weeks and it was not nearly enough time. Nearly 5000 km by the time we were home.

I wanted to head up to Anchorage, Valdez and Fairbanks but I had neither the time nor the right bike. My poor little Triumph cruiser blew out the rear shocks halfway through the ride. The road was actually quite good but with my bike so loaded down every bump counted. Plus there was a lot of rough gravel and dirt sections. The twisties from Fort Nelson to Liard Hotsprings were unreal though! 4 hours of what would be a sportbikers paradise...if it weren't for all of the bears and moose on the road anyway haha. Not long after that the road turned into a giant mudpit that my street tires were none to happy about :P

Next year plan...either Prudhoe Bay on the Alaska Highway or the Arctic Circle on the Dempster. Obviously not on my cruiser though...looking fairly seriously at trading it off on the new Triumph Tiger 800 XC :D

By the way Rhody good luck on your track day, it will be a blast! I would love to do one of those if I ever get a track oriented bike. Your bike will be the talk of the track I'm sure.

Scorpa,

Wow, long trip, through gorgeous country, please post some pictures and videos if and when you have them, and along with it some interesting stories, which I am sure you have. Having your shocks fail due to excess weight sucks, although you didn't say it stopped your progress. Some critical spare parts are a must on an epic trip like the one you did.

Thanks for the good wishes. I will try to be safe, but have fun at the same time. Will report back later in the week. Hope the new bike becomes a reality for you as well.

Rhody... o:) :devil: (the jerkyl and hyde side)... hehe...

Back in one piece, a few interesting stories to tell, too tired to focus now, as far as fatigue goes, pretend you just did about two hours of deep knee bends on the balls of your feet with toes pointed outward, at times in a 100+ mph wind blast, well, you get the idea. More tomorrow when I can gather my thoughts.

Rhody... :eek: :devil: :biggrin:

P.S. It was terrifying at first, but after I settled, what a FREAKING BLAST !

Yay!
Looking forward to hearing about it (although might not have reception for a while) !

This guy seems to be taking bike safety a bit TOO seriously. Or else he's just got a British sense of humor.

I know nothing about it except what you can see in the picture - I was in my parked car when he pulled in front of me and stopped for a couple of minutes. The BMW logo on the mudguard looks genuine. If the number plate was standard (not a customized plate) the bike was first registered in 1987-88.

Attachments

• bike.jpg
    bike.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 376
AlephZero said:
This guy seems to be taking bike safety a bit TOO seriously. Or else he's just got a British sense of humor.

I know nothing about it except what you can see in the picture - I was in my parked car when he pulled in front of me and stopped for a couple of minutes. The BMW logo on the mudguard looks genuine. If the number plate was standard (not a customized plate) the bike was first registered in 1987-88.

AlephZero,

Yes, quite a character, fur covered passenger seat, a fire hose reel sign, a bit eccentric to say the least. While I am busy trying to make sense of Windows Movie maker to edit my video of track day at Loudon, NH. I thought I would show you http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...RE3xx_dQ&sig2=eABysAJJFu5jbFWQyPp03Q&cad=rja". I think you will like "GoGo's" performance in the video, even if you never need a pair of leathers.

I used one of their suits on track day (a rental). Knock on wood I didn't go down or come close to doing so, but if I had after you watch this I think you will agree with me, this set of Leathers would have given me a good chance of escaping serious injury. On top of a good product, their people are great, helpful, knowledgeable, with some, like Matt who I have gotten to know have been racing for over twenty years and who has a vast experience with everything related to racing and is a pleasure to work with. He just came back from a two week odyssey where he raced and sold and promoted their suits. Knock on wood he came back in one piece with no accidents, but a close call or two.

When I get the editing sorted I will post my experience, a racers (fish eye lens, versus HD wide angle) to give you a sense of comparison, and finally a view from the back of one bike showing the front of the bike behind. With this view you will understand why your legs get sore after a day of riding.

Rhody... :cool:

P.S. I have been told another track day is in the works for September, same place. I plan to attend, but with a monster bike :eek: that is worth more than the truck I drove it to the track in (I would hate to seriously ding it, it is very expensive to fix), I may buy a used track bike, a screaming 600, then, be a bit more aggressive with it. I barely used 3rd gear with the BMW, whereas on a 600 you may use up to 5 gears, The monster bike is like a giant rheostat, whereas the 600 is more a highly tuned sewing machine. You have to work the gearbox to get the same level of performance out of it. With the 1000, you have to be extra careful on the throttle, whereas on the 600 you can be a bit sloppy before bad things happen. It is more forgiving to learn track antics on. That would be ideal. It is lighter by 20 to 30 pounds less than my bike, which is light to begin with. Time to get back to editing. Hopefully, I will be done in a day or two and will post the video's I mentioned at the beginning of this post. Later...

I have been futzing with Window's Movie Maker now for a couple of days, sort of got the hang of it. Got the basic video put to music and captioned, want to add some pictures and audio, I hope it is worth the wait. I will post it all in one big chunk. I have a couple of other video links and narrative to post that help explain what actually happens on the track. I can say this, it is way more intense than I imagined. Words cannot adequately convey the feeling you get. I just looked at my last post, a day or two yeah, right, I wish I had the time to make it superb.

Rhody... :devil:

Just got back from unloading cars and collecting data from a trip to Kennedy Space Center where we did some testing of our car and a few other customer cars.

The nascar style transporter (with a/c lounge) had a lift failure and we had to either trailer the cars or drive them as well as work for two 14 hour days in stifling heat with only tents and a fan or two.

This also meant that we left a twin turbo Z06 behind.

This is the 2006 daytona pace car that jay leno drove in the race.

The dash says "Hi Jay" when you start the car.

A girl drove it 150mph in the standing mile.

[PLAIN]http://www.performancepowerracing.com/images/ImageGallery/2011_Guinness_World_Record/med/_MG_9763_resize.jpg [Broken]

A different girl went faster than her husband in a N20 injected challenger going 171 in the standing mile.

[PLAIN]http://www.performancepowerracing.com/images/ImageGallery/2011_Guinness_World_Record/med/_MG_9674%20(1)_resize.jpg [Broken]

Her husband was not amused and refused to let her drive his ford GT which hit around 200mph in the standing mile.

[PLAIN]http://www.performancepowerracing.com/images/ImageGallery/2011_Guinness_World_Record/med/_MG_9918_resize.jpg [Broken]

We had to clear off the runway so Gabrielle Gifford's husband could land his T38.

Yes, his name is on the side of the plane and I'll bet he's as sharp as you can get when you have a t38 as your daily driver.

[PLAIN]http://www.performancepowerracing.com/images/ImageGallery/2011_Guinness_World_Record/med/_MG_1619_resize.jpg [Broken]

This one saw 200mph but it is an amazingly set up road race car that is a daily driver.

It is often seen owning all at porsche club meets on the east coast.

[PLAIN]http://www.performancepowerracing.com/images/ImageGallery/2011_Guinness_World_Record/med/_MG_2091_resize.jpg [Broken]

It was so hot I expected to see this alligator walk upright and a few of us were close to passing out...well...the dummies who wore long pants and black shirts.

We decided not to harrass him as he was touchy after being harrassed by the film crew from a recent Transformers movie.

[PLAIN]http://www.performancepowerracing.com/images/ImageGallery/2011_Guinness_World_Record/med/_MG_8950_resize.jpg [Broken]

Here's where the nose gear touched down on sts 133.

[PLAIN]http://www.performancepowerracing.com/images/ImageGallery/2011_Guinness_World_Record/med/_MG_9279_resize.jpg [Broken]

Matt and frank were the lucky ones as I spent my time inside the sauna like car tracing a suspected electrical gremlin for the 2 step rev limiter wiring that did not exist as we found out later.

This included having my head where the pedals are under the dash while I defended my wiring scheme to the guy in the white shirt (inventor of FAST, accell DFI, and Big Stuff ecus). After all that, it was a failure within the ecu so I got out to recover from the onset of heat stroke by lying down under a truck while he got to replacing the ecu.

[PLAIN]http://www.performancepowerracing.com/images/ImageGallery/2011_Guinness_World_Record/med/_MG_9592%20(1)_resize.jpg [Broken]

The speeds mentioned are for one mile runs starting from a dead stop...all of these the cars are capable of much higher top speeds.

The guys at NASA were really cool and I could see the wheels turning in their heads about how they could sign up with us for a chance to run the runway in their cars...not sure if that's a conflict of interest but we would accommodate them if they asked.

That said, having gearheads at NASA allowed us access to places one would not normally be able to access such as getting to drive a corvette to the launchpad.

Back to reducing the data...have to see what kind of lift or downforce as well as what the turbo inlet pressure drop was for our runs but the twin turbo GT ran very hard and only used 30% injector duty cycle at 20psi boost so it seems we have enough injector for the next engine that makes 2500hp at near 12,000 rpms.

I'm a bit distressed at hearing the plight of the NASA people and the fact that they are severely restricted in being able to pursue commercial interests which could keep them busy.

I'm sure about 5 years down the line, the government will suddenly find a need for something they just canceled and pay 36 times what they would have had they just left the infrastructure in place and let them continue being the vangard of technology for the entire earth.

NASA is an engineering force of extraordinary magnitude.

They deserve our gratitude.

Howler,

Very nice post, too bad your transport lift ... the bed, and that you had to endure the heat and humidity, almost did you in, hehe... I love that runway, looks like something from the Autobahn. It would be a great semi-safe place to explore acceleration and braking for the BMW. You can only get good at it by safe practice in controlled conditions, I discovered that the initial "bite" of the front brembo's from 120+ is unsettling to the chassis, so a gentle squeeze followed by a more firm grip is best. There is no way to learn stuff like this unless you practice.

Funny you mention the new transformer's movie, saw it last night, so they really used the Kennedy launchpad as a backdrop, nice. You never know with all the CGI stuff these days.

I love the symbolism in your statement, (Chevrolet must love it too, hehe):
That said, having gearheads at NASA allowed us access to places one would not normally be able to access such as getting to drive a corvette to the launchpad.
perhaps "the launch of a Vette from the launchpad" would be better, eh ?
I'm a bit distressed at hearing the plight of the NASA people and the fact that they are severely restricted in being able to pursue commercial interests which could keep them busy.

That sucks, sounds like that have some of these folks "boxed" in, as you mention, that hardly seems fair.

I have my Loudon Track Day video pretty much ready to go, the computer it was made on is down, suspect power supply, so it is just a matter of organizing my thoughts. I think it came out pretty well, and IMHO is funny too, which is never a bad thing. Thanks for sharing your odyssey with us.

Rhody... :biggrin:

I have been delinquent long enough, I am tired, but will give you my best shot at Loudon Track Day impressions on June 21st with video and narrative.

First, the track is so much smaller than it appears on video, my Contour HD video gives a realistic view of what I believe you actually see.

Second, I was pretty intimidated after the morning intro session and follow the leader for newbies like myself. I doubted I could do it before suiting up for our twenty minute sessions. I was tense, knew the basics,, keep on balls of your feet and hands light on the bars when cornering, no death grip on throttle or bars, don't target fixate, ride at your own pace, yada... yada... yada... Time to put up or shut up. Remember, I have been riding bikes since I was 16. However, nothing compares to this, nothing.

I am over 50 now and am pragmatic in my approach in testing my limits. I had only 1300 street miles with this bike before track day, and none to redline in 2nd gear (30 - 120 mph) on the street. As I mentioned a long while ago, speed for speed sake is not what excites me, it is acceleration/hard braking in the first three gears while cornering or coming off corners. There is no better place to practice that than the ratty road course at Loudon, with on 3 small straights to rest (and pass or be passed on) in between, It is all work on every other part of the track.

After the second session, (in rain mode, only 150 hp at the rear wheel) I started to relax a bit, and after the third session, I put it in sport mode (full power 180 hp to the rear wheel). As you will see in the video, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRak39cJu08", I document a few laps at 2X actual speed, to music and captions (my thoughts as I was editing the raw video). If I was tired before the end of the session, felt my concentration was a bit off, I just pulled off the track. I promised myself I wasn't going to crash (and didn't thank God). Some of the experienced track guys and racers reminded me, "the thing has a monster motor, be careful applying the throttle, and you can never be smooth enough (I did and listened). At the end of the video, I shot two short segments using second gear to accelerate 90% hard to reline in 2nd gear and hard braking from a bit faster, about 130. The video does not do the experience justice. Under acceleration, it is like being shot out of a cannon. Under hard braking (knees gripping the tank) you experience the same feeling but your arms feel the g-load and your eye's feel like they are being pushing into their sockets.

By the end of the day, my upper thighs, near hip sockets were really sore, watch this supplemental http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RESSBpkoR38&feature=related" (not great rider technique, but you get the idea from the hip movements used in the corners, and how it can wear you out quickly). One thing our instructor's did was paint little white X's at all the Apex markers on the track, this is known as "the line" and is the fastest way to ride the course. If you watch carefully in the first link I provided you will see these little X's and my attempt at staying on "the line".

Finally, to give you perspective to a local racer, Robbie Nigl, with ten year's race experience on the track, you get a real good idea from the http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYE2xWATC4c" (split screen) of what the rider feels as he zips around the track. If you watch his hand movements, he is shifting his Ducati multiple times up and down the gearbox because he lacks the motor that the BMW has. I am no racer, but to me, it was easier to modulate 2nd gear than worry about matching braking to a lower gear or slipping/sliding when up-shifting, although it takes a finer touch to do so. You will notice Robbie rides right over the rumble strip when coming out of the bowl in turn four. It allows him to get more speed and a straighter shot at setting up the next two corners. I have given you a taste of what it was like from three different perspective.

On to what I got from the experience. One, I have never been so tired after a day at any other activity, this includes climbing Mt Washington (6200+ feet) in New Hampshire. I was completely mentally, physically and emotionally drained. A benefit of this experience was that for a few days after, I was free from worry (I tend to worry a fair amount) and I was surprised and overjoyed at that. Third, I have been told that about 40% of people who experience a track day get hooked. I am part of that minority I am afraid. I am going to buy a used suit/trailer and sell my other touring bike for a 600cc ripper that I will modify for the track. The thought of dumping that expensive (almost a work of art monster bike really bothers me). Apparently two other guys, one young, one older (both with powerful Ducati's) are going to do the same thing. Great minds thinks alike, eh ?

Lastly, I can't say with 100% certainty that my posit science, insight visual training kept me safe, but I feel that it definitely helped with my focus for each 20 minute session. I will continue to use it and add the audio part of the training to my regimen soon.

Hope you enjoyed this rather winded (I tried to keep it short, but there were a number of points I simply could not ignore). If you want to experience something truly challenging, guaranteed to release massive amounts of adrenaline, in a group setting on a track with experienced instructors and other riders of similar ability, then a track day may be for you.

There was a wide range of people who attended, a husband and wife team (late thirties, no kids), older guys, like me, and some twenty year old's who had a great time. Nobody in our group crashed, woo.. hoo... to that. We are planning another track day this fall. Hopefully, by then I will have a 600cc track prepped sport bike and will be a bit more aggressive (but safe) with it.

Rhody... :biggrin: o:) :devil:

P.S. I don't think the video came out half bad considering I never used the HD camera or windows movie maker software before. I will try and improve, especially the sound, next time. Check out the little surprise I left in the second to last caption (first video). I think you will get a kick out of it. Oh, yeah, Happy Fourth of July everyone...

I LOVE Robbie's video. You don't need 1000cc+ of a hot bike in order to have fun. Sometimes less is more. I have ridden light bikes that would scare the crap out of you. Yamaha's RD350 and the Kawasaki 500cc two-stroke twin come to mind.

turbo-1 said:
I LOVE Robbie's video. You don't need 1000cc+ of a hot bike in order to have fun. Sometimes less is more. I have ridden light bikes that would scare the crap out of you. Yamaha's RD350 and the Kawasaki 500cc two-stroke twin come to mind.

Yeah Turbo,

As a kid I had a Kawasaki Triple 2 stroke 400cc, crappy suspension, and about a 3K power band, that as you say, would scare the crap out of you when the power rushed in overwhelming the suspension in the process. Today's sport bikes from small to large are so much more competent that you don't have to be as extremely careful with them. A good rider will adapt to whatever he is riding, not take it too far, basically he will take what the bike gives him (if he is good) and no more. All in all I would say the track was a good experience though, and Robbie's face shots say it all while he is wringing the neck of the Ducati. Ten years of riding the same track doesn't hurt either.

Rhody...

Last edited:
This thread amuses me in so many ways, but I won't be long winded. I'd been doing some research on the BMW S1000RR as I think about getting a liter bike and came across this. Odd that its posted here and not on S1000RRforum.com. In any event you need a runway, someone told you about one in Maine, and we never hear about the runway need again.

You tell us how the BMW is so advanced technically and Keith Code states that its the best bike he's ever used in his training classes, but now you want to ride a 600 at your next track day?

Who speeds a track day video up to double speed? When I watch other track day videos or racing on TV they don't amp up the speed.

SV650FTW said:
This thread amuses me in so many ways, but I won't be long winded. I'd been doing some research on the BMW S1000RR as I think about getting a liter bike and came across this. Odd that its posted here and not on S1000RRforum.com. In any event you need a runway, someone told you about one in Maine, and we never hear about the runway need again.

You tell us how the BMW is so advanced technically and Keith Code states that its the best bike he's ever used in his training classes, but now you want to ride a 600 at your next track day?

Who speeds a track day video up to double speed? When I watch other track day videos or racing on TV they don't amp up the speed.

SV650,

First, this was (primarily) for the enjoyment and benefit of of the members here on PF, many don't ride and want to watch a video that is entertaining and not long and boring. Second, there are a million track video's out there with the BMW at normal speed. Third, the audio on the Contour HD is crappy, sounds like a bunch of bee's in a can at regular speed. Fourth, two guys who attended the same track day who are buying 600's for the track. They both have Ducati's, 1198 and the new Diavel street cruiser. They are expensive. They told me part of the motivation of getting a 600 track bike is not wanting to trash their powerful bike (and themselves) at the track.

Unless you have ridden this thing, uncorked, full 180 HP at the rear wheel and have IMHO at least a decade's worth of experience on liter bikes, powerful, but not in the same category, no one can be comfortable with all that power (maybe you can as an exception, but I doubt it).

Here is a http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEEexu4ip-g" I posted awhile ago of 1X at NHMS track day, on what I believe is a BMW S1000RR (edit, it can't be the number of gears he is using does not match the BMW, probably a 600 instead). Lastly, there were two small clips at the end showing the acceleration and braking from second gear in normal 1X speed. Hey, everyone has a right to their opinion. I enjoyed the experience and am going back again, this time with a better audio setup on a new camera. Hopefully, the next video(s) will accurately represent the experience. You can't please everyone I guess.

Rhody...

P.S. edit: I checked SV650's profile, and he/she did not provide any ability to contact. I suspect they are from the BMW forum who has an ax to grind and is using an ID here to do so. I always find it amazing that people who act brave and bad on the internet, yet never have the courage to allow them to be contacted. It speaks volumes about their character. Sigh... I should be used to it by now having been a member here for over two years and seeing much worse. People never fail to amaze me.

Well, as much as I hate to admit it, there may be one special car whose performance, comes close to what you feel on a bike. The http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPIOImO04uw&feature=related", 500 hp (basically two Suzuki Hayabusa engine's melded together and set to a mild state of tune, in basically a minimal aluminum frame, with fairly small wheels.

Watch this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_8m8i6JqOg&feature=related". Note: the nice heel/toe throttle brake technique.

Rhody... :biggrin:

P.S. I knew I added an earlier post on the Ariel Atom in this thread. Here it https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=3173214&postcount=163" for your reference. I just forgot it at the time I made this post, back in March, senior moment...

Once you get away from showroom stock, the bikes start to suffer the small contact patch and the fact that most bikes have almost 1/2 the frontal area of a car.

This is why no bike holds an absolute race course record.

Last edited:
I think that I was behind you that day in a Dodge Ram...heard your bike, saw the cows running, and can tell you that, without doubt, I ran over that pesky turtle and pretty much obliterated it.

He should have used the crosswalk.

sportster said:
I think that I was behind you that day in a Dodge Ram...heard your bike, saw the cows running, and can tell you that, without doubt, I ran over that pesky turtle and pretty much obliterated it.

He should have used the crosswalk.

Don't pay any attention to sportster, he is a life long friend who seems to relish provoking me, and who hopes to provoke the mentor's as well. He thinks it is funny to provoke them (mentor's) because he see's little value in PF, where I like to hang out. Different strokes for different folks (even close friend's).

Nice try Truc... nice try...

Rhody... :wink:

Regarding climate change

Of course there is climate change. The climate cycles over the centuries. It's a naturally occurring process.

Move on people, nothing to see here. Let's get on with trying to get along with each other instead of wasting time and money on something we have no control over.

Does anyone really believe that we impact the climate? Are we that caught up in our self-importance to believe that we can overturn something that is governed by the very laws of nature and the actions of other celestial bodies?

Yes, we can do more to not pollute our environment, but this whole movement to re-distribute wealth in the name of science is so decietful and conveluded.

What do my friends on PF think?

sportster said:
Of course there is climate change. The climate cycles over the centuries. It's a naturally occurring process.

Move on people, nothing to see here. Let's get on with trying to get along with each other instead of wasting time and money on something we have no control over.

Does anyone really believe that we impact the climate? Are we that caught up in our self-importance to believe that we can overturn something that is governed by the very laws of nature and the actions of other celestial bodies?

Yes, we can do more to not pollute our environment, but this whole movement to re-distribute wealth in the name of science is so decietful and conveluded.

What do my friends on PF think?

He is trying to convince you he is nuts. I assure you, he is not, he is testing to see how much BS the mentors will take before banning him.

Rhody...

Dear Rhody,

I beg to differ with you. I take this forum seriously, yet I hate to see people take themselves too seriously. Like the dead turtle, we are but mere specks on this earth. We exaggerate our importance and do not realize that all this competition so see whom is smarter than whom, and the one upsmanship gaming, is not the point to our existence. The point is to play well together, to share, communicate and cooperate, and and see if we can somehow, in some small ways, leave this world a little better than how we found it.

So, my good friend Rhody, this is not about busting your chestnuts...that would be a shallow undertaking. To you and all others on this esteemed forum, work together and enjoy life because in the end you will not get out alive.

Sportster

Sportster, I'm going to have to agree with you on this one. We are but a speck on this planet, and if the Earth is going through one of its cycles, we have no other option but to go along for the climate ride, so to speak. Yes, we can, and should, address the issue of humanity's carbon footprint, because it is a factor, albeit a small one. BTW, who is this Rhody dude anyway? He seems like a bit of a bully. He posts a lot. I'm surprised he hasn't been banned by the big giant heads yet, when he gets so testy.

Coopster said:
Sportster, I'm going to have to agree with you on this one. We are but a speck on this planet, and if the Earth is going through one of its cycles, we have no other option but to go along for the climate ride, so to speak. Yes, we can, and should, address the issue of humanity's carbon footprint, because it is a factor, albeit a small one. BTW, who is this Rhody dude anyway? He seems like a bit of a bully. He posts a lot. I'm surprised he hasn't been banned by the big giant heads yet, when he gets so testy.
Off Topic:

For the record, Coopster is my other life long friend. The three of us have had extensive discussion on the value of PF and the benefits of having mentors who have the power to ban legitimate nut cases. Without mentors, the forum would not keep the educated crowd that we have. Sportster and Coopster are trying to make a mockery of the function of mentors here. I can see that they are not achieving their goal, which is to be banned. They are still my best friends. I encourage you to take their rants with a grain of salt.

Rhody... :smile:

Dear Mentors,
I have been a member of the forum for a while but am typically too busy to post items.

Yes, Cooper and I are friends with Rhody, but as far as the forum goes, we are not friends. Here is why-

I am a MBA and a professional, doing construction engineering work. I am not a stupid or terribly silly person. I do have a sense of humor though, and a sense of humility about all things in nature. I am humbled by their mystery and enlighteneed by the opportunities that science presents us.

Some people use this forum to pontificate and to fulfill some unfulfilled need for attention. I am not saying that Rhody fits this description,...I will let you make your own determinations about people and their agenda's...my point is that the pursuit of knowledge is often clouded by a thirst for attention and the unruly growth of ego's. It's only when we do not take ourselves so damn serious that we can truly learn and grow, and thus meaningfully contribute to society.

Rhody and others can take personal affront and have a rotten egg attitude, and they can do you know what with them,...I really don't care.

The beauty of this forum is that all can contribute, not just the geeks. If I contribute anything to this forum, it is the ability to expose the rediculous, cut threw the faux persona's, and maybe bring some sense of reason and balance to the insanity and superior attitudes that often drags this forum to a low and mundane point.

If you believe that I am wrong, yes, please ban me as Rhody professes should happen. Let the geeks have their 5 minutes of fame. If I have some credibility in my belief, however, I am happy to be a member of this community and will try to post more often on a variety of subjects. Thanks.

ps...and I promise, no turtle crossing and cow stampede stories.
Sportster

Last edited:
Sportster, Coopster,

This is a thread about performance sportbikes and all that goes with it. Both of you expressed interest in taking a motorcycle safety (MSF) course. Then buying a Can-Am (Sportster) and a smaller entry level bike (Coopster)(type yet to be determined), would you care to share with us your expectations regarding your new sport of choice (pun intended) ? What attracts you to it ?

Rhody... :cool:

Yes, thanks for mentioning it Rhody...as with my pursuit of skiing several years back, I see motorcycling as an avenue for growh...to overcome the fear of riding, to experience the thrill of being on the open road with less protection around me, to be outdoors more, to open doors to new opportunities and new places, to see life from a different angle, and to enjoy the comraderie of other riders.

I used to fear skiing and as you know, I can now go over the edge of a double black without blinking.

You have to know your limitations, however. I can't ski moguls and I don't anticipate ever doing a track day. So within the confines of those parameters, there is enough activity and opportunity for fun and personal growth.

I will leave the physics and rush of it all to the expert riders, like you, and just take it for what it is...something new and exciting. Even if I end up on a nice trike, it doesn't matter. I am not looking to prove anything to anyone but myself, nor do I care to be a poser.

This has the turtle theme, but this time it is a squirrel who narrowly escapes a Lamborghini at 100 mph, self explanatory, http://www.thepostgame.com/features/201107/daredevil-squirrel-performs-ultimate-lambo-leap" [Broken], the narration is cute...

Rhody... :approve:

P.S. Sportster, we will see if you make good on your post promise, or if it is just B.S. The ball is in your court. Trying and doing are two very different things.
sportster said:
I am happy to be a member of this community and will try to post more often on a variety of subjects. Thanks.

ps...and I promise, no turtle crossing and cow stampede stories.
Sportster

Why have I indicated that I might buy a motorcycle in the future? Because it would give us something to do together "as guys" besides our yearly ski trips. You know, some year round "guy time", to give the wife and kids that we adore a break from us. You and I have been good friends for nearly 40 years and I enjoy just hanging out together. Other than that, I have zero interest in owning a motorcycle. I've never gravitated to things with two wheels. Even as a child, I bypassed a scooter in favor of a little red wagon. But, if it's going to happen at all, it'll have to wait until the last of the college tuition has been paid off and the house has a new roof. Until then I guess I'll be doing some flyfishing with fuzzyfelt because that's affordable and also fun.

Coopster said:
Why have I indicated that I might buy a motorcycle in the future? Because it would give us something to do together "as guys" besides our yearly ski trips. You know, some year round "guy time", to give the wife and kids that we adore a break from us. You and I have been good friends for nearly 40 years and I enjoy just hanging out together. Other than that, I have zero interest in owning a motorcycle. I've never gravitated to things with two wheels. Even as a child, I bypassed a scooter in favor of a little red wagon. But, if it's going to happen at all, it'll have to wait until the last of the college tuition has been paid off and the house has a new roof. Until then I guess I'll be doing some flyfishing with fuzzyfelt because that's affordable and also fun.
Coop,

First, if you have zero interest, then you should not do it, just for something to get more "hang time". I have loved bikes since I was a teenager, and always will. Second, if you do decide to jump in, I hope you learn to enjoy it as much as I do. No telling on that score. Third, for the record Coop does not know Fuzzy, and is busting my beans once again. You should state so and apologize. It is the right thing to do.

I never intended for this thread to turn into a soap opera, but, between SV650FTW, and my two college buddies it has. Let's get back to the stuff that I and hopefully you by now find a nice way to spend a few minutes reading and watching.

Rhody... :grumpy:

OK, Rhody. I apologize for insinuating that... a.) I know fuzzyfelt b.) she likes flyfishing c.) she would ever consider flyfishing with Coopster d.) there is room for a sense of humor within this thread e.) all of the above. Answer: e

<h2>1. What is the purpose of needing a runway?</h2><p>The purpose of needing a runway is to provide a designated space for aircraft to take off and land. This allows for safe and efficient operations for both commercial and private flights.</p><h2>2. How long does a runway need to be?</h2><p>The length of a runway can vary depending on the type of aircraft using it and the conditions of the surrounding area. Generally, a commercial runway needs to be at least 8,000 feet long, while a private runway can be as short as 2,000 feet.</p><h2>3. What materials are runways made of?</h2><p>Runways are typically made of concrete or asphalt, as these materials are strong enough to withstand the weight and impact of aircraft. They also provide a smooth surface for planes to take off and land on.</p><h2>4. How are runways maintained?</h2><p>Runways require regular maintenance to ensure they are safe for use. This includes repairing any cracks or potholes, clearing debris, and ensuring proper lighting and signage. Runways also need to be regularly inspected for any potential hazards.</p><h2>5. Can a runway be used for other purposes?</h2><p>In some cases, a runway may be used for other purposes such as emergency landings, military training, or as a drag strip for racing events. However, these alternate uses must be approved and coordinated with air traffic control to ensure the safety of all parties involved.</p>

1. What is the purpose of needing a runway?

The purpose of needing a runway is to provide a designated space for aircraft to take off and land. This allows for safe and efficient operations for both commercial and private flights.

2. How long does a runway need to be?

The length of a runway can vary depending on the type of aircraft using it and the conditions of the surrounding area. Generally, a commercial runway needs to be at least 8,000 feet long, while a private runway can be as short as 2,000 feet.

3. What materials are runways made of?

Runways are typically made of concrete or asphalt, as these materials are strong enough to withstand the weight and impact of aircraft. They also provide a smooth surface for planes to take off and land on.

4. How are runways maintained?

Runways require regular maintenance to ensure they are safe for use. This includes repairing any cracks or potholes, clearing debris, and ensuring proper lighting and signage. Runways also need to be regularly inspected for any potential hazards.

5. Can a runway be used for other purposes?

In some cases, a runway may be used for other purposes such as emergency landings, military training, or as a drag strip for racing events. However, these alternate uses must be approved and coordinated with air traffic control to ensure the safety of all parties involved.