I will be going more into Geology

• Thread starter Chow
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Geology
In summary, the speaker is a student at the University of Alberta who will soon be attending the University of Saskatchewan to complete a 4-year degree in Geophysics. They have taken several physics-related classes, including introductory courses in Newtonian mechanics, waves, and fluid dynamics, as well as a more advanced course on Schrodinger's equation. At the University of Saskatchewan, the speaker plans to focus more on geology but is interested in taking additional physics courses. They are considering courses in quantum mechanics, statistical mechanics, classical mechanics, and relativity to deepen their understanding of physics.
Chow
Hello there, I am currently a student at University of Alberta, finishing finals then moving to the university of Saskatchewan, will be getting a 4 year degree in Geophysics.

The Physics related classes I have are Physics 144 146 281 271 which is Newtonian mechanics and relativity, fluids and waves, Electromagnetism and Introduction to Modern Physics.

144 and 146 seemed pretty much introduction, Newtonian Mechanics and waves and simple fluid dynamics with 1st year level calculus.

281 we had to learn the next semesters of math in one lecture..great fun..
271 Schrodinger's equation (time independent) and solving the hydrogen atom was pretty interesting I really enjoyed it, despite the difficulty being pretty rank. Had to learn a bunch of new math for that class as well.

Now in U of S most of those classes are not needed but, i have them..I will be going more into Geology, but i find myself having a few science options. I really want to dive deeper into the physics world with them, I am by no means exceptional in it, I am around class average in the 200 level+ courses, but my curiosity for it is pretty high. I am not sure where to go next U of S requires a 300 level E&M course, but from the looks of it in there course description we covered a lot of it in physics 281 at U of A. (A few 200 level courses there are 100 level courses at U of A, like linear algebra..)

I am thinking a 200 level mechanics course, SHO and stuff like that, any other suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you are looking to further your understanding of physics, I would suggest taking a course in quantum mechanics. This is an advanced level course that covers topics such as wave equations, particle statistics, and the Schrodinger equation. You may also want to consider a course in statistical mechanics, which covers thermodynamics and the properties of systems in equilibrium. Additionally, you could look into a course on classical mechanics, which covers topics such as Newton's laws of motion and conservation of energy. Finally, you may also want to consider a course on relativity, which covers topics such as time dilation and the twin paradox. These courses will provide you with a more in-depth understanding of physics.

What is Geology?

Geology is the study of the Earth, its physical structure, and the processes that shape it. It also involves the history of the Earth and its past environments.

What are the different branches of Geology?

There are several branches of Geology, including mineralogy, petrology, paleontology, structural geology, and environmental geology. Each branch focuses on a specific aspect of the Earth's structure and history.

What skills are needed to be a successful Geologist?

To be a successful Geologist, you need to have a strong foundation in math and science, excellent observation skills, critical thinking abilities, and an interest in the natural world. Good communication and problem-solving skills are also essential.

What career opportunities are available in Geology?

Geology offers a wide range of career opportunities, including working as a geologist in the oil and gas industry, environmental consulting, mining, academia, and government agencies. Geologists can also specialize in specific areas, such as hydrogeology or geophysics.

Why is Geology important?

Geology is important because it helps us understand the Earth's past, present, and future. It plays a crucial role in resource exploration and management, environmental protection, and hazard mitigation. Geology also helps us understand the impact of human activities on the Earth and how we can preserve its resources for future generations.