How Do You Calculate the Recoil Speed of Thorium 234 After Particle Emission?

• Thread starter mogley76
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Speed
In summary, the particle (x) of relative mass of 4 was emitted from a uranium 238 nucleus. The recoil speed of the residual thorium 234 nucleus was calculated to be 9.296E-20 kgm/s.
mogley76

Homework Statement

A Particle (x) of relative mass of 4 is emitted from a uranium 238 nucleus. Assuming the the particle (x) was originally at rest and was emitted with a speed of 1.4E7 m/s.
calculate the recoil speed of the residual nucleus (thorium 234)

Homework Equations

none given

The Attempt at a Solution

I know this is to do with the conservation of momentum. so P1=P2

p2=m2v2

so for particle (x) : (4*1.66E-27)*(1.4E7) = 9.296E-20 kgm/sbut initial velocity is 0 and i don't know how to go about calculating the recoil on the uranium nucleus? I am kinda lost..
can anyone help me out?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
hi mogley76! :smile:

first write out the general equation for conservation of momentum :wink:

m1v1=m2v2 but v1 is 0 right? so I am kinda puzzled as to how i can workout the recoil speed..

mogley76 said:
m1v1=m2v2 but v1 is 0 right? so I am kinda puzzled as to how i can workout the recoil speed..

The momenta are equal in magnitude but opposite in direction, so that should be
m1v1 = -m2v2

You can also see this as
m1v1 + m2v2=0

Do you see how to go forward now?

so...the recoil speed must be -1.4E7 m/s ? because thety both equal each other but in opposite directions?

mogley76 said:
so...the recoil speed must be -1.4E7 m/s ? because thety both equal each other but in opposite directions?

No: that would mean that the velocities are equal and opposite. The momenta are equal and opposite.

hi mogley76! :smile:

(just got up :zzz: …)
mogley76 said:

(try using the X2 icon just above the Reply box :wink:)

you seem confused as to the basic equation …

conservation of momentum is ∑ mv before = ∑ mv after

in this case, "before" there is only one mass, and its speed is 0, so the LHS (∑ mv before) is 0

ie 0 = ∑ mv after :wink:

1. How is recoil speed calculated?

The recoil speed of an object can be calculated by dividing the momentum of the object before the recoil by its mass. This can be represented by the equation: Recoil speed = Momentum before recoil / Mass of object.

2. What factors affect the recoil speed?

The recoil speed of an object can be affected by various factors such as the mass of the object, the momentum of the object before the recoil, and the force applied to the object during the recoil.

3. Can recoil speed be negative?

Yes, recoil speed can be negative if the momentum of the object before the recoil is in the opposite direction of the recoil force. This can happen in scenarios such as a backward recoil of a gun after firing a bullet forward.

4. How is recoil speed related to Newton's third law of motion?

According to Newton's third law of motion, for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. In the case of recoil speed, the action is the force applied to the object during the recoil, and the reaction is the backward movement of the object at a certain speed.

5. Can recoil speed be greater than the initial speed of the object?

No, recoil speed cannot be greater than the initial speed of the object. This is because the recoil force can only act in the opposite direction of the initial motion of the object, so the resulting speed cannot be greater than the initial speed.