What is the Role of Physics in a Career in Medical Biophysics or Radiology?

In summary, The fields of medical physics and medical biophysics involve the application of physics to the healthcare field, with medical physicists focusing on imaging devices and radiation therapy, while biophysicists study the physics of biological systems. It is important to have a strong foundation in physics, particularly electromagnetism, to pursue a career in these fields. Undergraduate studies in physics or related engineering programs are recommended for those interested in pursuing graduate studies in medical physics.
wolski888
Hi,
I came across this forum and decided to post this question.

I am in my second year of undergraduate studies. My goal is to have a career in Medical Biophysics or Radiology, more specifically working in Medical Imaging. I was wondering how much physics is needed in general? I am currently taking a Physics course about Electromagnetism which is part of the program. The practical aspect of medical imaging is very interesting to me.

Thanks for your time!

Physics news on Phys.org
That depends upon whether you want to be a full blown medical physicist, which requires a LOT of physics (and now a residency for most programs), or simply be the person that operates the imaging device, or anything in between.

To become a radiologist you have to go through medical school and then, I believe it's a 5 year residency. In the course of your training you'll get the amount of physics you need in order to understand the images that you're viewing.

To become a medical physicist who specializes in imaging, you generally need to do an undergraduate program in physics (sometimes various engineering programs are also accepted) and then a graduate program at least to the level of an MSc. A 2 year clinical residency is required for certification.

Thank you for the replies!

daveb, can you tell me the difference between Medical physicist and Medical Biophysicist? I understand that operating imaging devices is what a Radio technician does, correct? That is also an option I am open to. I heard of The Michener Instituite in Toronto (near my residence) that offers very interesting programs in the field of Radiology.

Choppy, concerning medical physicist: What about an undergraduate in Medical Biophysics?

Once again thanks for the replies and I eagerly await other responses from you guys again and others.

Medical physicists are typically associated with some hospital in their oncology/radiology department, though some do independent research in a university (and some even have a mix). I've not heard of a medical biophysicist, though a biophysicist is a more generalized term that applies to anyone who uses principles of physics and chemistry as applied to biological systems.

wolski888 said:
Thank you for the replies!

daveb, can you tell me the difference between Medical physicist and Medical Biophysicist? I understand that operating imaging devices is what a Radio technician does, correct? That is also an option I am open to. I heard of The Michener Instituite in Toronto (near my residence) that offers very interesting programs in the field of Radiology.

Choppy, concerning medical physicist: What about an undergraduate in Medical Biophysics?

Once again thanks for the replies and I eagerly await other responses from you guys again and others.

I believe "medical biophysics" is the name of a particular department within the University of Toronto. It is a school that includes medical physics training, but I believe other branches of physics that relate to biology as well. While medical physics is a professional field most often associated with radiation therapy and medical imaging, biophysics tends to involve things like studying the physics of cell membranes.

If this is a field you're interested in,I would tend to stay away from undergraduate programs that get too specialized. The best preparation for medical physics gradudate school is an undergraduate degree in physics, or perhaps some branches of engineering (like engineering physics or some biomedical engineering programs).

1. What is the difference between radiology and medical imaging?

Radiology is a branch of medicine that uses medical imaging techniques to diagnose and treat diseases. Medical imaging, on the other hand, is the process of creating visual representations of the internal structures of the body for diagnostic purposes. So while radiology is a medical specialty, medical imaging refers to the actual technology and techniques used in radiology.

2. What are the different types of medical imaging?

There are several types of medical imaging, including X-rays, ultrasound, computed tomography (CT), magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), and positron emission tomography (PET). Each type uses different technologies and techniques to produce images of different parts of the body.

3. How does medical imaging work?

Medical imaging works by using various technologies, such as X-rays or sound waves, to create images of the body's internal structures. These images are then interpreted by a radiologist to diagnose and treat diseases. Different types of medical imaging work in different ways, but they all use some form of energy to create images.

4. What is the role of a radiologist in medical imaging?

A radiologist is a medical doctor who specializes in diagnosing and treating diseases through medical imaging techniques. They interpret the images produced by different types of medical imaging and use their expertise to provide accurate diagnoses and recommend appropriate treatments.

5. Is medical imaging safe?

Yes, medical imaging is generally safe, but there are some risks involved. X-rays and CT scans use ionizing radiation, which can increase the risk of cancer if a person is exposed to high levels. However, the benefits of these imaging techniques often outweigh the risks. Other types of medical imaging, like ultrasound and MRI, do not use ionizing radiation and are considered very safe.