Trebuchet | Brain Teaser | I Scored 2405

• Thread starter Integral
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Trebuchet
In summary, the Bob (2004 ©) scored 2405 on a first try. This is better than the 950 achieved by the player. The Bob (2004 ©) also managed to get a 648 on one attempt. The best score for the distance is launch angle 24 degrees, counter weight mass 99, gravity, height, and wind at max, projectile mass at default. This gets a 650.
Integral
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I guess this qualifies as a brain teaser.

http://www.globalspec.com/trebuchet/

I scored 2405 on my first try.

Physics news on Phys.org
Integral said:
I scored 2405 on my first try.
950 for me :frown:

The Bob (2004 ©)

The Bob said:
950 for me :frown:

The Bob (2004 ©)
1559 is better though. :smile:

The Bob (2004 ©)

1785, but I wasn't really trying.

2584 after I realized that I have to scroll down to see the adjustment part. LoL

i got a 2079

2514!
(Hmm maybe i can try and beat someone in the list, but hell i don't have time now with my exams going on ... maybe later!)

-- AI

Anyone get over 639 on the distance challenge ?

As an aside, is it just me, or have trebuchets become really popular lately?

Oh, and 2646 first try. :approve:

Last edited:
On one out of many tries I managed to get a 650 on the distance.

Gokul43201 said:

I managed to get a 648 on one attempt...it's bizarre, because the graphics make it look like you went over the line when you didn't. I did get one good launch that sent that projectile flying WAAAAY past the goal line though (you can tell how hard I'm trying to really win this game :rofl: )

I'm asking because when I first tried with a fixed set of parameters and varying the height as n, n+1, n+2, n+3 (don't remember exact numbers), I got ranges of 633, 636, 639, overshoot...obviously a bug in the code ! :grumpy:

I got a 2955 on my first try! I found the game the simplest if you leave everything the same and experiment with a simple parameter. So for the distance one, that was mostly a test to play around with it. So i wasted the first four tosses and on my fifth one i got 645. I just changed the mass around to vary the distance. It made the accuracy one really easy since i just had to remember how the masses change the distance. Managed to get 4/5 small targets.

I was prtty good at beating the living daylights out of the wall, but that's about it.

645 on distance, 1000 accuracy, 2368 total.

Gokul43201 said:

They say gravity doesn't affect distance but they lie...

leave everything as it starts except:

gravity: 2.5
counterweight mass: 80
" height: 81

I finished in under 1 min with perfect score for dist and acc and it took me two shots to knock down the wall. My score was 3616... the top score is 50800... any ideas how this is possible?

Hmm... max for dist + acc is 1900... so that must be because of power. Which really defeats the purpose of the game as one category basically determines your score (if you get that good).

I made about 2000 on my first 2 tries and then I got a couple in the 3500 area once I figured some things out.

Probably the best for the distance is launch angle 24 degrees, counter weight mass 99, gravity, height, and wind at max, projectile mass at default. This gets you a 650 and also the projectile moves VERY fast so you only use 10-12 seconds on the first phase. (Also, you can set the parameters before the clock actually starts ticking--that saves you five or ten seconds)

As of this moment I'm going to go back and try for 1 shot on the power test. Maybe it is impossible... maybe the people who got the high scores cheated somehow... but it's worth a try.

Also, the time does not matter tremendously. I set the parameters for a very quick, short shot and went through the tests in about 15 seconds for a raw score of 0, and only got a time bonus of about 1000. This is compared to a bonus of like 600 for just under a minute. So going faster will improve your score, but not THAT much.

Edit: Ah, jeez, I had the wind backwards! +10 is working AGAINST you, not FOR you. -10 is what you want though it's probably not worth the bother to find how to get a 650 all over again with that wind.

Last edited:
Sadly, I'm too ashamed :shy: to say what I got. :uhh: You see, I'm in this for the Biology part of this forum... I don't know much about physics. :biggrin:

Actually, I only got a 323. :frown: :bugeye: :yuck:
And you thought that 600 and something was bad, TheBob. :rofl:
Anyway.. as you can see, I'm no physics wiz... but ask my brother, Dual Op Amp... he's the physics wiz. :biggrin:

FutVet :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Oh,no. Geeze.
Physics wiz, Oh, crap.

i got 2417 !

atomica said:
i got 2417 !

2394 points,but with 10 points penaly for going over 650 m.It were only 627 points instead of 637 points for the distance.Only 1000 at precision.Round 750 at power,no points for the timing,as use a laptop without a regular mouse (i believe it's called "pointpad" as to "touchpad" and "mouse");so it was a bit difficult.That's why i can't play pool on 'yahoo' anymore. :cry:I can't steer the stick and make shots as i do with a normal mouse.
So it's not that bad... :tongue2:

I used 31 projectile mass, 100 counterweight mass, 100 ct height
36 launch angle, 2.5 gravity and -10 wind
that gives 650 distance.
on the accuracy I only adjust the ct height. 50 ht goes half the distance of the field, 25 goes 1/4 etc. its pretty easy to get 1250 that way
I don't believe a one hit knockdown is possible, I could only get about 550-560 per hit and you need 1000 to knock it down. I was starting to experiment with getting 999 in multiple hits, then finishing with the 560, but I kept forgetting exactly what settings I was supposed to be using and I got tired of playing.

1. What is a trebuchet?

A trebuchet is a type of medieval siege engine that uses a swinging arm to launch projectiles, such as rocks or other objects, at high speeds.

2. How does a trebuchet work?

A trebuchet works by using the force of gravity and a counterweight to generate enough energy to launch a projectile. The counterweight is placed at one end of the swinging arm, while the projectile is placed at the other end. When the counterweight is released, it falls and causes the swinging arm to swing forward, launching the projectile.

3. What is the history of the trebuchet?

The trebuchet was first developed in China during the 4th century BC and was later introduced to Europe in the 6th century AD. It was commonly used during sieges in the Middle Ages and was considered a more advanced and powerful weapon compared to other siege engines of the time.

4. What is the significance of the "Brain Teaser" in the title of this trebuchet?

The "Brain Teaser" in the title refers to the game aspect of the trebuchet. In this context, the trebuchet is being used as a fun and challenging puzzle that requires strategic thinking and problem-solving skills to score points.

5. How did you score 2405 points in the trebuchet brain teaser?

I am a computer program designed to solve the trebuchet brain teaser, so I do not have personal scores. However, the score of 2405 could be achieved by successfully launching multiple projectiles at different distances and targets, which requires precise calculations and adjustments of the trebuchet's settings.