Optimize Trebuchet: Advice on Equations for Rope

• Thread starter nbnate
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Trebuchet
In summary: Yeah, it can be. But I'm sure someone on the forum can give you more specific advice. In summary, using a trebuchet can be tricky, but it can be very rewarding when it's done correctly.
nbnate
Can anyone give me advise on how i would optimize a trebuchet? I think i can figure out most of it except what equations should i use for the rope attached to the projectile.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm, well this would probably due better over on the 'Mechanical Engineering' thread, but I could think of a few qualitative possibilities:

- (Obvious) Height from which you drop weight should be as high as you can make it - this is your only source of power so it sets the maximum amount of energy you can deliver to the projectile.
- Similiarly, you want as much weight as possible!
- Length of catapult arm: should be long, but not so long that you projectile has small exit speed

The rest of considerations all have to do with effiecient energy transfer from the energy of the falling weight to the projectile:

- Catapult arm should be stiff, yet lightweight
- So should the rope
- Minimal gear/belt losses - not too familiar with this area, but if you use a belt their should be a large coefficient of static friction between teh belt and the wheel

nbnate said:
Can anyone give me advise on how i would optimize a trebuchet? I think i can figure out most of it except what equations should i use for the rope attached to the projectile.

I would attempt to model the rope as a perfectly rigid beam, myself. This is probably not quite right of course.

There are some shareware programs out there to design trebuchets, but I've never looked at them closely, I don't think they provide much theory.

There are different forms of "optimization", but probably what you're talking about is to get the arm of the trebuchet to essentially stop dead at the end of the cycle due to the load, so that it doesn't slam into the stops. This both makes the machine more efficient, and saves wear & tear on the main beam.

pervect said:
There are different forms of "optimization", but probably what you're talking about is to get the arm of the trebuchet to essentially stop dead at the end of the cycle due to the load, so that it doesn't slam into the stops. This both makes the machine more efficient, and saves wear & tear on the main beam.

Sounds tricky?

1. How does the length of the rope affect the trajectory of the trebuchet?

The length of the rope affects the distance that the projectile will travel. A longer rope will result in a longer distance, while a shorter rope will result in a shorter distance.

2. How can I determine the ideal length for the rope?

The ideal length for the rope can be determined through trial and error, by adjusting the length and measuring the distance of the projectile each time. It is also important to consider the weight of the projectile and the counterweight when determining the ideal length.

3. What is the relationship between the weight of the projectile and the counterweight?

The weight of the projectile and the counterweight have an inverse relationship. A heavier projectile will require a lighter counterweight and vice versa. It is important to find the right balance between the two to achieve the desired trajectory.

4. How does the angle of release affect the trajectory?

The angle of release is a crucial factor in determining the trajectory of the projectile. A higher angle will result in a higher trajectory, while a lower angle will result in a lower trajectory. It is important to find the optimal angle for the desired distance and accuracy.

5. How do I account for external factors such as wind and friction?

External factors such as wind and friction can greatly affect the trajectory of the projectile. It is important to make adjustments to the equations for the trebuchet based on these factors. Wind speed and direction can be accounted for by adjusting the angle of release, while friction can be accounted for by adjusting the weight of the counterweight.