Top Astrophysics Universities on the West Coast: A Family-Friendly Guide

In summary, the conversation is about a physics and math undergrad student in Kentucky who is looking for the right university on the West coast to attend for their Masters and PhD in astrophysics. They are hoping to find a town that is suitable for a family since they are married with two kids. The student's research has not yielded many reputable options, but someone suggests using a standard reference book that should be available in their library.
Lmint19
I am a physics and math undergrad student in Kentucky and I am trying to find the right University to attend when I get my Masters and PhD. I hope to receive my degrees in astrophysics.

My research has not turned much up in the way of reputable astronomy and physics schools.

I want to find a University on the West coast with a town that would be suitable for a family since I am married with two kids.

Can someone please help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
Lmint19 said:
My research has not turned much up in the way of reputable astronomy and physics schools.

The standard reference book is http://www.aip.org/pubs/books/graduate.html

It should be available in your library.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is astrophysics?

Astrophysics is a branch of astronomy that focuses on the physical properties and behavior of celestial objects, such as stars, galaxies, and planets. It combines principles of physics and mathematics to study the universe and its origins.

2. What can I do with a degree in astrophysics?

A degree in astrophysics can lead to a variety of career opportunities, including research positions in universities, government agencies, or private companies. Graduates may also work as data analysts, science communicators, or educators in the field of space science.

3. Is astrophysics a difficult major?

Astrophysics can be a challenging major, as it requires a strong understanding of physics, mathematics, and computer science. However, with dedication and hard work, students can excel in this field and pursue a fulfilling career in astrophysics.

4. What skills are needed to study astrophysics?

To be successful in astrophysics, students should have a strong foundation in mathematics, physics, and computer science. They should also possess critical thinking skills, problem-solving abilities, and a passion for the subject.

5. Are there any specific requirements for admission to a university for astrophysics?

Admission requirements may vary depending on the university, but most programs in astrophysics require a strong background in math and physics. Students may also be required to submit standardized test scores, letters of recommendation, and a personal statement. It is important to research the specific requirements of each university before applying.