Macro/micro economics Textbook for a mathematian

In summary, the speaker is a junior in high school with a strong interest in mathematics, specifically in its application to macro and microeconomics. They have already studied various mathematical texts such as Thomas calculus, analytic geometry, and nonlinear dynamics and are now looking for a more mathematical treatment of economics. The speaker recommends starting with microeconomics and gradually increasing in complexity, with suggested textbooks including Principles of Microeconomics by Greg Mankiw and Microeconomic Theory by Walter Nicholson. They also suggest familiarizing oneself with real analysis and game theory for further education in economics.
vadiraja
Hello. I am a Junior in Highschool who is very interested in mathematics. Most ap macro/microeconomics teach the subject like social studies or english. But I am aware there are more mathematical treatements.

I have done
Thomas calculus and analytic geometry(4th edition. not the watered down later editions)
Mary Boas Mathematical Methods of the Physical Sciences
Strogatz Nonlinear Dynamics and chaos(-nonlinear differential equations focus on bifurcations etc)
Applied Nonlinear Dynamics Nayfeh and Balachandran
Courant and Hilbert methods in mathematical physics

I want a mathematical treatement on macro/microeconomics(it should be very mathematical)

Physics news on Phys.org
I would recommend that you start with microeconomics and then move on to macro stuff.

Starting with the most basic and increasing in sophistication:

Principles of Microeconomics by Greg Mankiw (any edition will do; no need to buy the newest editions) - Standard first year ‘principles’ textbook in micro;

Microeconomic Theory by Walter Nicholson - Typically used in intermediate micro.

Other books I would recommend:

http://www.introecon.com/" by R. Preston McAfee - Haven’t used before but heard it’s the most rigorous ‘principles’ tb around. Has micro+macro and it’s kindly provided by the author free online.

http://www.deirdremccloskey.com/docs/price.pdf" by Deirdre/Donald McCloskey - Out of print but again kindly provided by author for free online. At intermediate level.

A note on mathematics. Calculus is prerequisite for the intermediate books and recommended for the ‘principles’ level books. Real analysis isn’t needed for the books listed above but I would highly recommend having exposure to real analysis at Apostol/Spivak's Calculus level (to begin with and eventually moving on to Rudin’s Principles of Mathematical Analysis) because the mathematical maturity developed at that level will help in a lot areas of mathematics and any discipline that uses mathematics. Nonlinear dynamics isn’t really used in economics except at advanced levels and in esoteric fields i.e. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Complexity_economics" .

If you find once you start that you want to continue your education in economics I recommend learning a bit of game theory.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the difference between macroeconomics and microeconomics?

Macroeconomics is the study of the economy as a whole, including factors such as inflation, unemployment, and economic growth. Microeconomics, on the other hand, focuses on individual economic agents such as households and firms and how they make decisions.

2. How does a mathematics background help with understanding economics?

A background in mathematics can be beneficial for understanding economics because it provides a strong foundation in quantitative analysis and problem-solving skills. These skills are crucial for analyzing economic data and developing economic models.

3. What mathematical concepts are important for understanding economics?

Some important mathematical concepts for understanding economics include calculus, linear algebra, and statistics. These concepts are used to formulate economic models and analyze data.

4. Are there any specific mathematical techniques used in macroeconomics or microeconomics?

Yes, there are several mathematical techniques used in both macroeconomics and microeconomics. These include optimization, game theory, and econometrics.

5. Is a strong mathematical background necessary for studying economics?

While a strong mathematical background can be helpful for understanding economics, it is not always necessary. Many economic concepts can be understood without advanced mathematical knowledge, and there are various resources available for learning the necessary math skills for economics.