Intro to Logic: Answers to Your Questions

In summary, the person is looking for a book that provides an introduction to logic and helps with understanding proofs. They have provided a thread for reference and are open to suggestions for resources. The responder suggests the "forall x" online text as a potential option and also recommends Beck and Geoghegan's "The Art of Proof - Basic Training for Deeper Mathematics."
Physics news on Phys.org
please , I want your help

I looked at the other thread and it seems to me that you are likely needing to understand more about how to do proofs versus calculating rather than a book on formal / mathematical logic. The thread that you referenced points off to the "forall x" online text which is really a nice text on logic so that should tell you whether that's what you're looking for. On the other hand, I think that Beck and Geoghegan's "The Art of Proof - Basic Training for Deeper Mathematics" may be more in line with the kind of question that you were asking in the other thread.

What is logic?

Logic is the study of reasoning and arguments. It involves identifying and evaluating the validity and soundness of arguments and their underlying principles.

Why is logic important?

Logic is important because it helps us to think critically and make sound decisions. It also allows us to identify flaws and fallacies in arguments, and to construct effective arguments of our own.

What are the basic principles of logic?

The basic principles of logic include the law of non-contradiction (a statement cannot be both true and false at the same time), the law of excluded middle (a statement is either true or false, there is no middle ground), and the principle of identity (a statement is identical to itself).

How is logic used in everyday life?

Logic is used in everyday life to make decisions, solve problems, and communicate effectively. It is also used in fields such as mathematics, computer science, and philosophy.

What are the different types of logic?

The three main types of logic are deductive, inductive, and abductive. Deductive logic starts with a general principle and applies it to specific cases. Inductive logic starts with specific observations and draws a general conclusion. Abductive logic uses clues to come up with a probable explanation for a given situation.