Combination Formula with a lockout twist

In summary, the combination formula for this scenario with a "lockout" twist is 3^6, representing the 6 groups with 3 choices each. This means that there are 729 possible combinations when selecting 6 items from a group of 18 choices, where once one item is selected from a group, the other two are "locked out" for the rest of the combination.
Calcunaut
Combination Formula with a "lockout" twist

Hi! I am trying to figure out all possible combonations for 6 items among a group of 18 choices. So I turn to my old friend C(n,r) to calculate where n=18 and r=6. "But WAIT!" I tell you before you hastily begin scribbling, "There is a twist..." You see my problem is that the items are divided up into 6 groups, with 3 choices in each group. Once a choice has been made in a group for the combination the other 2 in the group are unavailable, or "locked out" of the rest of the combination. The order doesn't necessarily matter but a choice must be selected from each of the six groups. Here's a visual representation:

A B C
1 A1 B1 C1
2 A2 B2 C2
3 A3 B3 C3
4 A4 B4 C4
5 A5 B5 C5
6 A6 B6 C6

If "B1" is selected in a single combination then "A1" and "C1" cannot be apart of the same combination. What is the formula for this and how many possible combinations are there?

Physics news on Phys.org

Do you have 18 distinct items? The answer is [itex] 3^6 [/itex].

Or are you counting {A1,A2,A3,B4,B5,A6} to be the same as {A1,B2,B3,A4,A5,A6}?

If its like the bike locks that are popular, each "ring" is independent and like Stephen said, there will be 3x3x3x3x3x3 combinations (or 3^6).

1. What is a Combination Formula with a lockout twist?

A Combination Formula with a lockout twist is a mathematical formula used to calculate the total number of possible combinations for a specific set of elements, with the added condition that certain combinations are not allowed or "locked out". This is commonly used in security systems, such as combination locks, to limit the number of possible combinations and increase security.

2. How is a Combination Formula with a lockout twist calculated?

The formula is calculated by taking the total number of elements and raising it to the power of the number of elements allowed in a combination. For example, if there are 10 elements and only 3 are allowed in a combination, the formula would be 10^3, which equals 1000 possible combinations. This can then be adjusted to account for any locked out combinations.

3. What is the purpose of using a lockout twist in the Combination Formula?

The purpose of using a lockout twist is to increase the level of security by limiting the number of possible combinations. This makes it more difficult for someone to guess or brute force their way into a system or device.

4. Are there any limitations to using a Combination Formula with a lockout twist?

Yes, there are some limitations to using this formula. It can only be used in situations where the elements are finite and discrete, such as numbers or letters. It also assumes that all combinations are equally likely, which may not always be the case in certain situations.

5. Can a Combination Formula with a lockout twist be used in other applications besides security systems?

Yes, this formula can be used in various other applications, such as in gambling or probability problems. It can also be applied in computer science, such as in password generators or data encryption algorithms.