Force required to break the H-O bond

In summary: However, this can vary depending on the strength of the bond and the exact configuration of the atoms. In summary, the force required to break the H-O atomic bond is estimated to be approximately 9.6 x 10^-2 N, and the minimum additional distance required to separate the H from the O atoms to consider the bond broken is on the order of 6 x 10^-11 m.
h1a8
I have a two questions.

1. What is the force (not energy) required to break the H-O atomic bond?
2. What is the minimum additional distance required to separate the H from the O to consider the bond broken?

From this table I see that the energy of the bond is 459000J/mol and the radius of the bond is 9.6 x 10-11 m.
What I first tried (I know it is mostly likely wrong though) was take the energy per mole number and divide it by the radius to get the force per mole. Then I divided that by Avogadro's number to get the force per bond.

Thinking that was incorrect I decided to try the concept of
Force to break = tensile strength x cross sectional area.

That is to say, I compared it to breaking by pulling apart a thin iron bar. I know Young's modulus comes into play here so that's why I guessed I need to know how much further I must separate the H atom from the O atom to consider the bond being broken.

I know this calculation may not be possible or practical but all I need is a lower limit (estimate). Meaning, I want to know X in the inequality Force required is > or = X. To be honest, my main purpose for this is to determine how strong the comic character Silver Surfer was when he claimed to amp his strength to atomic strength. He is 225lb at a height of 6' 4" so I figured he has approximate density of water, which is why I chose the H-O bond instead.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Answering your questions:1. The force required to break the H-O atomic bond is not easily calculated, as it depends on the exact configuration of the atoms and the nature of the bond, and varies from one situation to another. However, a general estimate can be made using Young's Modulus, which measures the elasticity of a material. For the hydrogen-oxygen bond, Young's Modulus is estimated to be on the order of 10^9 N/m^2. Therefore, the approximate force required to break the bond would be 10^9 N/m^2 multiplied by the cross sectional area of the bond, which is approximately 9.6 x 10^-11 m^2. This gives an estimate of approximately 9.6 x 10^-2 N for the force required to break the bond.2. The minimum additional distance required to separate the H from the O atoms to consider the bond broken is on the order of 6 x 10^-11 m, which is the typical radius of the bond.

1. What is the definition of "force required to break the H-O bond"?

The force required to break the H-O bond refers to the amount of energy needed to break the bond between a hydrogen atom and an oxygen atom in a molecule of water.

2. How is the force required to break the H-O bond measured?

The force required to break the H-O bond is typically measured in units of joules (J) or kilojoules per mole (kJ/mol) using techniques such as spectroscopy or computational methods.

3. What factors influence the force required to break the H-O bond?

The force required to break the H-O bond is influenced by factors such as the type of chemical bonds involved, the length of the bond, and the presence of any surrounding molecules or ions that may affect the bond strength.

4. How does the force required to break the H-O bond relate to the stability of water molecules?

The force required to break the H-O bond is directly related to the stability of water molecules. A higher force required to break the bond indicates a stronger bond and a more stable molecule of water.

5. Can the force required to break the H-O bond be changed?

Yes, the force required to break the H-O bond can be changed by altering the conditions in which the bond is formed, such as changing temperature, pressure, or the presence of other molecules. Additionally, the bond strength can also be affected by the type of atoms involved in the bond.