Are photons from a light bulb and the sun the same for our bodies?

In summary, sunlight causes hormones to activate which cause us to wake up. Different types of light bulbs emit different types of photons which have different biological effects.
bobsmith76
Photons activate hormones in us which cause us to wake up. I'm wondering if there is a different between the photons coming from the sun and the photons coming from a light bulb? Do these both have the same effect on the body?

I've put this in the classical category because of optics.

Science news on Phys.org
Photons are photons are photons.

Of course, a light bulb emit photons at different rates and depending on the type of bulb, relatively different spectra of light.

They definitely have a different biological effect on humans because the light bulb is missing many frequencies that are found in sunlight. You can buy bulbs that produce a spectrum that is pretty much the same as sunlight. Of course you don't want the UV in your house. You can see the difference if you take photographs, especially using film, in sunlight, in incandescent and fluorescent light. In fact I recall buying special film to use for indoor photography.

So photons have variable energy depending on their frequency i.e. color for visible and they have brightness or intensity depending on just how many photons there are. People with seasonal affective disorder become quite depressed in the winter in areas that have low light and show significant improvement when expose to bright lights. I can recall a difficult time in my life when I used to go to KMart at night and just walk around because the bright light made me feel better. And improvement in a depressed person who has SAD is documented. At least we don't turn green from the added light.

Look up circadian photoreceptors.

An incandescent lamp will not wake you up as fast as sunlight because they don't emit much blue light.

And people who sleep with lights in their bedroom have a number of health related issues a person who sleeps in a totally dark room does not have.

We're programmed to sleep best when it's very dark. A friend went to Alaska in the summer when there was no dark and she had to put foil over her windows and wear a black mask because she was having all sorts of serious mental problems as well as physical problems from the lack of darkness.

1. What is a photon?

A photon is a fundamental particle of light that carries electromagnetic energy. It is the basic unit of light and is responsible for all electromagnetic interactions.

2. How are photons created?

Photons are created through a process called electromagnetic radiation, which occurs when an electron in an atom transitions from a higher energy state to a lower one, releasing a photon in the process.

3. Is there a difference between photons from a light bulb and photons from the sun?

Yes, there are some differences between photons from a light bulb and those from the sun. Photons from a light bulb are typically produced by heating a filament, while photons from the sun are the result of nuclear fusion reactions. Additionally, photons from the sun have a wider range of wavelengths compared to those from a light bulb, which typically emit in the visible spectrum.

4. Do photons from a light bulb and the sun have the same speed?

Yes, according to Einstein's theory of relativity, all photons travel at the speed of light in a vacuum, which is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second.

5. Can photons from a light bulb and the sun be distinguished from each other?

In terms of their physical properties, photons from a light bulb and the sun can be distinguished based on their source and wavelength. However, in terms of their fundamental nature as particles of light, there is no way to distinguish between them as they are both photons.