What background is needed for a degree in ME?

• Thread starter OhNoYaDidn't
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the necessary background for starting a degree in engineering. The speaker is from Portugal and plans to apply for the degree there. They mention a report from a former MIT teacher who believes that Portuguese universities teach more material than MIT. The speaker shares their own background and advises that high school level physics and calculus are general prerequisites for the degree. They also suggest taking additional science and math courses for a better understanding.
OhNoYaDidn't
Ok guys, I'm not quite sure is this is in the right place. My question is, what is the background i need to have before i start this degree?

I'm thinking about applying for Me next year, but I'm concerned i don't have the enough background in Science/Mathematics.

( Btw, I'm from Portugal and i will apply for this degree here, i read a report by a former MIT teacher who came to Portugal to teach in the same University i'll apply.

His main point was that the amount of things an engineer learns here in Portugal in university is more than in MIT, his opinion was that here they aren't very concerned about what their students do know when they finish their degree, but in the amount of material they teach. )

Sorry if i made some typos.

Physics news on Phys.org
My back ground before I started my degree was in cabinet making, so basically no experience with mechanical engineering. I had a strong interest and a good aptitude for math and science, and now I'm finishing up my 2nd year. Not that it matters but I am now 28 years old, so don't let age hold you back either!

Last edited:
I think as a general rule high school level physics and calculus are general prerequisites, although some colleges provide calculus based on your aptitude tests when entering.

So, solid understanding in Pre Calculus and high school Physics and Chemistry?

Yup that sounds about right. The more science and math you take the better.

1. What is "Needed background before ME"?

"Needed background before ME" refers to the necessary knowledge, skills, and experience that are required for a person to pursue a degree or career in mechanical engineering (ME).

2. What background is typically required before studying ME?

The specific background required may vary depending on the institution or program, but generally, a strong foundation in mathematics, physics, and chemistry is necessary for studying ME. Knowledge of computer science, design, and manufacturing processes may also be beneficial.

3. Can someone with a different educational background still pursue ME?

Yes, it is possible for individuals with a different educational background to pursue ME. However, they may need to take additional courses or complete a pre-engineering program to acquire the necessary background before being admitted into an ME program.

4. Is work experience considered part of the needed background for ME?

While work experience is not typically a requirement for studying ME, it can be beneficial in helping individuals gain practical skills and knowledge in the field. Some universities may also consider relevant work experience when evaluating applicants for ME programs.

5. How can I acquire the needed background for ME?

There are various ways to acquire the needed background for ME, such as taking relevant courses in high school or college, participating in internships or co-op programs, or working in a related field. It is also important to continuously learn and improve skills through self-study and professional development opportunities.