Is NYU-POLY the Right Choice for My EE Grad School?

In summary, the speaker has been accepted to NYU-POLY for graduate school in electrical engineering and applied to three other schools. They may not hear back from the other schools due to a missing recommendation letter. The speaker has a bachelor's degree in electrical engineering from Penn State and is unsure if they want to attend graduate school or get a job. They are also nervous about living in the city due to logistics and expenses.
X89codered89X
Hi all,

I just got into NYU-POLY for graduate school in electrical engineering. I didn't really know much about the school before applying, I just thought NYU sounded good so I applied there. I applied to three other schools but I haven't heard back from them, and I may not as I might have screwed up all of the applications (one of my professors never wrote my rec letters because he's too busy or something, but NYU POLY only needed 2 of the 3 though so that was sufficient). BTW I'm about to graduate from MY electrical engineering program at Penn State with a bachelor's.

Does anybody have any first hand experience with this school, particularly the graduate programs?

Other info: I'm not dead set about graduate school. I have a passion for learning and that's why I applied in the first place, but I don't really enjoy my life too much these days as school takes up 80 hours/week on classes/H DUBS/Studying. Is it better to just get a job and work 40 hours /week and make money or should I study for at least a few years at NYU-POLY. I'm also scared s***less to live in the city (mostly because logistics are a nightmare for me. I can't follow directions and I lose keys/phone/wallet regularly).

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Congratulations on getting accepted to NYU-POLY for graduate school! It's an excellent school and a great opportunity for you. In terms of how your experience at NYU-POLY will be, it really depends on what kind of program you're in and what your goals are. Some people may find the coursework to be intense and require a lot of hard work, while others may find it easier and more enjoyable. You'll also need to consider if you'll be living in the city and how that will affect you, since it can be expensive and difficult to navigate. Ultimately, it's up to you to decide if graduate school is the right choice for you. Consider what you want out of life and if pursuing a graduate degree will help you achieve those goals. If you think it will, then take the plunge and enjoy the experience!

1. What is the acceptance rate for NYU-POLY's EE grad school?

The acceptance rate for NYU-POLY's EE grad school varies depending on the program and year, but it is generally around 30-40%. This makes it a competitive program, but not impossible to get into.

2. What is the average GRE score for admitted students?

The average GRE score for admitted students in NYU-POLY's EE grad school also varies, but generally falls in the range of 160-165 for the quantitative section and 150-155 for the verbal section. However, it is important to note that admissions decisions are based on a holistic review of the entire application, not just GRE scores.

3. What is the curriculum like for EE grad students at NYU-POLY?

The curriculum for EE grad students at NYU-POLY is rigorous and research-focused. It includes a combination of core courses, electives, and the opportunity to conduct independent research with faculty members. Students also have the option to specialize in specific areas of EE, such as communications, signal processing, or power systems.

4. Are there opportunities for internships or co-ops during the program?

Yes, NYU-POLY's EE grad program offers students the opportunity to participate in internships or co-ops with industry partners. This provides hands-on experience and networking opportunities for students to apply their knowledge in real-world settings. Students can also work closely with their academic advisors to find internships or co-ops that align with their interests and career goals.

5. What are the job prospects for graduates of NYU-POLY's EE grad program?

Graduates of NYU-POLY's EE grad program have excellent job prospects, with many finding employment in top companies in the technology and engineering industries. The program's strong reputation and connections with industry partners help students secure job opportunities after graduation. Additionally, the program's focus on research and hands-on experience prepares students for a variety of careers in the field of EE.