Where Can I Find English Translations of Early 20th Century Physics Papers?

• Thread starter Mechdude
  • Start date
In summary, there is no one source for English translations of the papers listed in the Annalen der Physik collection, but they can be found online through various sources such as Google Scholar and the American Institute of Physics Digital Archive.
Mechdude
hi, i chanced on this great list of a collection of papers fron the annals der physik here:
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1002/(ISSN)1521-3889/homepage/BestOfAdP.html#1900

it lists some of the best works of the early 20th century, like Drudes original paper, Debye, Boltzman's, Ewalds, paulis' , Schrödinger, Sommerfeld and so on, and some are actually free for non-subscribers, actual problem: the are in German, so does anyone know of aplace where i can get some these papers in English? especially those from 1900-1946, I am studying condensed matter physics and i'd like to see some of these originals myself. is there such a collection for quantum mechanics ( or more accurately the papers that laid the foundation for modern hard condensed matter physics understanding?)

Physics news on Phys.org
Unfortunately, there is no single collection of these papers in English. However, many of them have been translated into English and can be found online. You may be able to find translations of specific papers by searching for the authors' names on Google Scholar or other academic search engines. Additionally, the American Institute of Physics has a Digital Archive with over 6,000 papers from Annalen der Physik available for free. These papers are mostly from the 1920s and 1930s, but some date back to the late 1800s.

1. What does "freely accessible translations" mean?

"Freely accessible translations" refers to translations of content that are available to the public without any restrictions or limitations. This means that anyone can access and use these translations without having to pay for them or obtain special permission.

2. How can I find freely accessible translations?

There are several ways to find freely accessible translations. One way is to search online for websites or databases that offer translations for free. You can also check with libraries or cultural institutions in your area, as they may have collections of freely accessible translations available for use.

3. Are freely accessible translations reliable?

The reliability of freely accessible translations can vary. It is important to check the source and credentials of the translator or translation service to ensure the accuracy and quality of the translation. Additionally, it is always a good idea to compare translations from multiple sources to get a more comprehensive understanding of the content.

4. Can I use freely accessible translations for commercial purposes?

It depends on the specific terms and conditions set by the translator or translation service. Some freely accessible translations may have restrictions on commercial use, while others may allow it. It is important to check the terms of use for each translation to determine if commercial use is permitted.

5. How can I contribute to the availability of freely accessible translations?

You can contribute to the availability of freely accessible translations by offering your own translations for free, supporting organizations that provide free translations, or advocating for open access to translation resources. You can also share information about freely accessible translations with others to help increase awareness and usage of these resources.