Oil Tank Analysis for Formula Student Car: Heat Transfer Calculations

In summary, the student is looking into ways to calculate the amount of power that is dissipated from an oil tank due to heat transfer. They are considering modes of heat transfer and calculating how much power is being dissipated. The student is looking into a suitable FEA package to do the calculations.
beckspp
Hi Guys,
This is for my university project.I need to design a oil tank for the formula student car.The first stage is the analysis of the existing stock oil tank (Aprilia SXV 550 is the engine).I need to find out the heat lost/transferred from the of the existing oil tank.How can I calculate the inlet and exit temperature of the Lubricating oil(passing through the tank).
I need to do the corresponding heat loss calculations happening through the oil tank.
I will be considering all the modes of heat transfer
Conduction,Convection and Radiation.
Please tell me How can I justify that a particular value of heat is lost from the oil tank with the help of calculations.And what formulas of heat transfer should i use (Fourier's,Newton's Law of cooling ...?)
What is the suitable FEA package that can be used for justifying my results...?

Science news on Phys.org

First I would measure or look up the existing steady state (eg end of race) values for:

Inlet and outlet oil temperature
Oil Flow rate
Heat Capacity of the oil

eg measure the first two and look up the last.

Then you can easily work out how much power is being dissipated by the existing tank/oil cooler.

Presumably the new lank has to be smaller, lighter and dissipate the same or more power.

Last edited:

CWatters said:
First I would measure or look up the existing steady state (eg end of race) values for:

Inlet and outlet oil temperature
Oil Flow rate
Heat Capacity of the oil

eg measure the first two and look up the last.

Then you can easily work out how much power is being dissipated by the existing tank/oil cooler.

Presumably the new lank has to be smaller, lighter and dissipate the same or more power.
Thanks CWatters...

1. What is the purpose of conducting an oil tank analysis for a Formula Student car?

The purpose of an oil tank analysis is to accurately determine the heat transfer calculations for the car's engine. This information is crucial for the car's performance, as it ensures that the engine is running at the optimal temperature and prevents overheating.

2. How is the heat transfer calculation for an oil tank determined?

The heat transfer calculation for an oil tank is determined by several factors including the ambient temperature, the engine's power output, the type of oil being used, and the size and shape of the oil tank. These factors are used in mathematical equations to calculate the heat transfer rate.

3. Why is it important to consider heat transfer in an oil tank for a Formula Student car?

Heat transfer plays a critical role in the engine's performance and overall efficiency of the car. If the heat transfer in the oil tank is not properly calculated, it can lead to issues such as overheating, decreased engine performance, and potential engine damage.

4. What are the different methods for conducting an oil tank analysis?

There are several methods for conducting an oil tank analysis, including numerical simulations, analytical calculations, and experimental testing. Each method has its advantages and disadvantages, and the most appropriate method may depend on factors such as time, resources, and accuracy required.

5. How can the results of an oil tank analysis be used to improve the performance of a Formula Student car?

The results of an oil tank analysis can be used to make informed decisions about the design and setup of the car's engine. By optimizing the heat transfer in the oil tank, the car's performance can be improved, resulting in better lap times and overall success in competitions.