Problem calculating speed at the top of a loop-the-loop

• Thread starter mr_miyagi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Speed
In summary, the conversation discusses a physics problem involving a box sliding down a ramp and doing a loop-the-loop. Part A asks for the speed at the top of the loop and Part B asks for the normal force on the box. The solution is calculated using the equations for potential and kinetic energy, as well as the centripetal force. After a mistake is corrected, the final answer for Part B is determined to be 147N.
mr_miyagi
This is the problem:
A 15.0 kg box is slid down a 6.00 meter high ramp to pick up speed to do a vertical loop-the-loop whose radius is 2.00 meters. All surfaces are conveniently frictionless.

Part A) asks to find the Speed at the top of the loop-the-loop.
Part B) asks to find the Normal force on the box at the top of it's motion.

I'm just not sure I've solved it correctly.
Here's what I did it:
A)
PEi + KEi = PEf + KEf
(1/2)*m*vi2 + m*hi*g = (1/2)*m*vf2 + m*hf*g
0 + 6mg = (1/2)*m*vf2 + 4*m*g
6g = vf2/2 + 4g
vf = sqrt(4g) = 6.26m/s

B) Normal = Centripedal Force - mg = m*v2/r - mg = 15*(6.262/2) - 15*9.8 = 117.6 N

Physics news on Phys.org
The work in part (a) and (b) is good! Can you check your calculator result in part (b) though? I calculate a different number: [itex]\frac{(15kg)(6.26\frac{m}{s})^2}{(2m)}-(15kg)(9.8\frac{m}{s^2}) = 147N[/itex]

gordon831 said:
The work in part (a) and (b) is good! Can you check your calculator result in part (b) though? I calculate a different number: [itex]\frac{(15kg)(6.26\frac{m}{s})^2}{(2m)}-(15kg)(9.8\frac{m}{s^2}) = 147N[/itex]

I see my mistake. I've divided in the wrong place.
B) Normal = Centripedal Force - mg = m*v2/r - mg = 15*(6.262/2) - 15*9.8 = 117.6 N
Redoing it made get to 147N :D
Thanks for the help!

1. What is a loop-the-loop and how does it work?

A loop-the-loop is a type of roller coaster or amusement ride where the track forms a complete loop, usually with a circular or oval shape. The ride works by using the laws of physics, particularly centripetal force, to keep the train moving in a circular motion and prevent it from falling off the track.

2. Why is it difficult to calculate the speed at the top of a loop-the-loop?

Calculating the speed at the top of a loop-the-loop can be difficult because it involves multiple factors such as the height of the loop, the radius of the loop, and the acceleration due to gravity. Additionally, the train's speed will vary throughout the loop as it experiences changes in centripetal force and acceleration, making it a complex calculation.

3. How is the speed at the top of a loop-the-loop calculated?

The speed at the top of a loop-the-loop can be calculated using the formula v = √(rg), where v is the speed, r is the radius of the loop, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. This formula takes into account the minimum speed required to keep the train on the track at the top of the loop.

4. What factors can affect the speed at the top of a loop-the-loop?

Several factors can affect the speed at the top of a loop-the-loop, including the height and radius of the loop, the acceleration due to gravity, and the initial speed of the train. Other factors such as friction, air resistance, and the weight of the train can also play a role in determining the speed at the top of the loop.

5. Why is it important to calculate the speed at the top of a loop-the-loop?

Calculating the speed at the top of a loop-the-loop is important for ensuring the safety and comfort of passengers on the ride. If the train is traveling too slowly, it may not have enough speed to make it through the loop and could potentially get stuck. On the other hand, if the train is traveling too fast, it could put excessive strain on the track and cause discomfort for riders. By calculating the speed at the top of the loop, engineers can design and operate rides that provide an enjoyable and safe experience for all passengers.