What Do Mosquitoes Eat Other Than Blood?

• Thread starter Ian
  • Start date
In summary, female anopheles mosquitoes need a high protein blood meal to develop their eggs. They may also produce a first batch of eggs without this meal. The male mosquito does not take a blood meal and may feed on plant nectar. Baby snakes, depending on the species, may feed on insects, worms, slugs, salamanders, or other small prey. They are capable of catching and consuming prey at a very young age. Some snake species may eat the shells of their eggs or consume dead young for energy compensation. Rift Valley virus, spread by mosquitoes, is more dangerous to human health than West Nile virus. Several other dangerous diseases are also carried by mosquitoes.
Ian
When the female anopheles mosquito does not need a high protien blood meal from a mammal, what does she eat?
I read somewhere that they feed on plant sap, but has anyone any deeper info on what kind of plants they feed on or prefer.

Thanks,
Ian.

Biology news on Phys.org
Here's a whole site about mosquitoes. I'm providing the link to the page the quote below comes from (general biology of mosquitoes), but you can go to the top of that page to get back to their mosquito home page with even more information. http://www-rci.rutgers.edu/~insects/moslife.htm

Only the Female Can Bite: When adult mosquitoes emerge from the aquatic stages, they mate, and the female seeks a blood meal to obtain the protein necessary for the development of her eggs. The females of a few species may produce a first batch of eggs without this first blood meal. After a blood meal is digested and the eggs are laid, the female mosquito again seeks a blood meal to produce a second batch of eggs. Depending on her stamina and the weather, she may repeat this process many times without mating again. The male mosquito does not take a blood meal, but may feed on plant nectar. He lives for only a short time after mating.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have always wondered what baby snakes eat. Surely the mother does not bring food to them. But when they are tiny and slow, how can they catch any prey on their own?

Janitor said:
I have always wondered what baby snakes eat. Surely the mother does not bring food to them. But when they are tiny and slow, how can they catch any prey on their own?

I'm not sure about the live born snakes, but with oviparous snakes, they'll retain a bit of a yolk sac from the egg that keeps them nourished until they are big enough to start catching their own food. What that food is would probably depend on the species and habitat.

Janitor said:

You are correct that maternal care is rather minimal in snake species, especially after hatching/birth, however just because they are small does not mean that baby snakes are slow. Neonatal snakes are very good at catching and consuming appropriately-sized prey items and the venomous species can bite and inject very early.

As far as what food they eat, Moonbear is right that it depends on the species. If they are large enough they will tackle small frogs, rodents, birds, etc. Some of the very small species that I'm familiar with like the red-bellied snake, Storeria occipitomaculata, and the ringneck snake, Diadophis punctatus, are close to three inches at birth and eat smaller individuals of what the parents typically eat- insects, worms, slugs, salamanders. This is probably pretty common fare for most small snakes and might also include other small snakes and lizards as the local food web dictates. Most captive-bred baby snakes are raised on pinkie mice or rats since they are easily bred as food or readily obtained (both fresh and frozen!) from numerous sources.

Don't snakes eat the egg from which they hatch?

I haven't run across any reports of the neonates eating the shells, but with certain live-bearing snake species, typically large constrictors, the mother will consume any dead young or unfertilized ova that are cast with the brood. This is presumed to be a means of energy compensation for her investment in the offspring, but it could also cut down on attraction of predators since some young snakes stay with the mother in the brooding den for some time after birth.

Thanks for the info on skeeter-feeding Moonbear, just what I needed.

Thanks for the snake replies. What with email notification not working, I hadn't seen those posts until now.

By the way, I heard today that there is something called Rift Valley virus that is spread by mosquitoes, and it is much more damaging to human health than West Nile.

Janitor said:
By the way, I heard today that there is something called Rift Valley virus that is spread by mosquitoes, and it is much more damaging to human health than West Nile.

Several disease vector that are more dangerous than West nile viruse are carry by mosquito and other insect.

http://www.aboutbugsbugsbugs.com/mosquitoes/health.htm

This is just a quick list:
African Trypanosomiasis
Babesiosis
Chagas Disease
Dengue Fever
Ehrlichiosis
Encephalitis which includes several different type
Insect Bites and Stings
Leishmaniasis
Lyme Disease
Lymphatic Filariasis
Malaria
Onchocerciasis
Plague
Q Fever
Relapsing Fever
Rickettsialpox
Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever
Southern Tick-Associated Rash Illness
Infectious Diseases/Zoonoses
Trachoma
Tularemia
Typhus
Yellow Fever

Last edited by a moderator:
And also you forgot, Bancroftian Filariasis caused by Wuchereria bancrofti vectored by Culex sp. or Anopheles sp. this causes Elephantiasis.

What do mosquitoes eat?

Mosquitoes primarily feed on the blood of animals, including humans. This blood serves as a source of protein for the female mosquito to produce eggs.

Do all mosquitoes feed on blood?

No, only female mosquitoes feed on blood. Male mosquitoes primarily feed on nectar and other plant-based sources of sugar.

What types of animals do mosquitoes typically feed on?

Mosquitoes have a wide range of hosts, including birds, mammals, reptiles, and amphibians. They are opportunistic feeders and will feed on whatever warm-blooded animal is available in their habitat.

Do mosquitoes have any other sources of food besides blood?

Yes, in addition to blood, mosquitoes also feed on plant nectar and other sources of sugar. This is the main source of food for male mosquitoes, and is also consumed by female mosquitoes when they are not reproducing.

What attracts mosquitoes to humans?

Mosquitoes are attracted to humans by the carbon dioxide we exhale, body heat, and certain chemicals and scents that we emit through our skin. They are also more attracted to some individuals over others, possibly due to genetic factors or certain dietary preferences.