Logic and Set Theory Book Suggestions: A Guide for Beginners

In summary, the conversation was about a person looking for suggestions on books about Logic and Set Theory. They specified that they were looking for not very advanced books and had questions about axioms, theorems, and methods of proving. Some suggestions were given, such as "Axiomatic Set Theory" by Patrick Suppes and "Theory of Sets" by Kamke. It was also mentioned that these books can be found on the website "dogbert.abebooks.com" and that "Principles of Mathematics" by Allendoerfer and Oakley was a book that helped someone in high school. Another recommendation was "Introduction to Modern Algebra" by John L. Kelley.
C0nfused
Book suggestions- Moved in Science book reviews

Hi everybody,
I am looking for books about Logic and Set Theory. In particular, I am looking for not very advanced books. What are axioms, how do theorems connect to the axioms, how are we sure that some methods of proving give always correct and general results-these are some of the questions that I am looking for answers (i think this is part of mathematical logic, isn't it?). Any help would be appreciated
Thanks

P.S: I don't live in the U.S.A or U.K. so as you understand, only really well-known books might be found in my country. So I would prefer you to suggest some of the "classics" that can probably be found everywhere

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
'axiomatic set theory' by patrick suppes & 'theory of sets' by kamke is are the best ones. kamke's doesn't have any problems in it though. they're both available from dover, which isn't some obscure publishing company. they'll be cheap books too.

halmos' naive set theory is also a classic.

you can search here:
http://dogbert.abebooks.com

I found copies in germany, australia, england, and denmark, but for the price of some of them, you could probably afford to order from iowa and pay shipping.

i read some of kamke's book in high school, and enjoyed it as far as i got.

kamke was a dover book even then and hence very cheap.

these are mopre set theory than logic though.

i myself learned about all the logic i have ever needed from principles of mathematics, by allendoerfer and oakley, (in high school).

It was a big advantage to enter college aftyer reading this book. the basic logic stuff in there is not taught to students at the university where i work until junior year, if then. ludicrous.

here is another basic book with some easy logic in it:

Introduction to Modern Algebra
John L. Kelley
Price: US$ 4.49 [Convert Currency]
Book Description: D. Van Nostrand Company, 1960. Trade Paperback. Good. "Official Textbook for the Continental Classroom". Bookseller Inventory #512660

Bookseller: North State Books (Lincolnton, NC, U.S.A.)

Last edited:
Thanks for your answers

1. What are some good books to read?

There are countless good books to read, as it depends on personal preferences and interests. However, some popular and highly recommended books include "To Kill a Mockingbird" by Harper Lee, "1984" by George Orwell, "Pride and Prejudice" by Jane Austen, "The Great Gatsby" by F. Scott Fitzgerald, and "The Catcher in the Rye" by J.D. Salinger.

2. How can I find book recommendations?

There are several ways to find book recommendations. You can ask friends and family for their favorite books, join book clubs or online reading communities, read book reviews from trusted sources, or use online book recommendation tools such as Goodreads or BookBub.

3. What genre of books should I read?

The genre of books you should read depends on your personal interests and preferences. Some popular genres include fiction, non-fiction, romance, mystery, sci-fi, fantasy, and self-help. It's always good to try reading different genres to explore new topics and styles of writing.

4. How do I know if a book is good?

There is no definitive answer to this question as opinions on what makes a book "good" can vary. However, some factors to consider when determining if a book is good include the plot, character development, writing style, and overall enjoyment while reading. Reading reviews and recommendations from others can also help gauge a book's quality.

5. Can you suggest a book for beginners?

There are many great books for beginners, depending on the genre they are interested in. Some popular books for beginners include "The Alchemist" by Paulo Coelho, "The Little Prince" by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, "The Diary of a Young Girl" by Anne Frank, and "The Hunger Games" by Suzanne Collins. It's always a good idea to start with well-written and engaging books to develop a love for reading.