At what times are the velocity and acceleration perpendicular?

In summary: I'm not so sure. On the one hand, it would be nice to not have to worry about making careless mistakes; on the other hand, I think it's important to learn how to do calculations properly in the first place.In summary, this student is trying to solve for a particle's velocity and acceleration, but is having trouble doing so because the acceleration is not always zero.
Daniel Luo

Homework Statement

The coordinates of the particle is given by:

x(t)=(1.2 m/s)t
y(t)=15m-(0.5m/s2)t2

a) At what times is the particle's velocity perpendicular to its acceleration
b) At what times is the particle's speed instantaneously not changing (I get that the acceleration is zero).
c) At what times is the particle's position perpendicular to its velocity.
d) What is the particle's minimum distance from the origin.

Homework Equations

r=xi+yj (i and j are the corresponding unit vectors)
vx=dx/dt
vy=dy/dt
a=dv/dt.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to differentiate the particle position r with respect to time getting velocity, and then taking the derivative of the velocity with respect to time getting acceleration.
When I had the acceleration as function of time, I got: a=(-2*0.5 m/s2)j. But how can I then solve for t, when it is not in the equation? What have I done wrong? Please help me with all the questions.

Physics news on Phys.org
I got: a=(-2*0.5 m/s2)j
j is the y-direction? Okay.
So now you can insert the requirement "acceleration is orthogonal to the velocity". If the acceleration points in y-direction, which direction do you need for the velocity?
This will lead to an equation with time inside.

For part a, use the dot product. For part b, think about centripetal acceleration, the speed can be constant even though there is acceleration. The condition you want is, the velocity and acceleration are orthogonal (perpendicular with the addition that the zero vector is orthogonal to every vector). The rest I'll leave to you.

Got beat by mfb but I think both replies are useful.

Daniel Luo said:

Homework Statement

x(t)=(1.2 m/s)t
y(t)=15m-(0.5m/s2)t2

b) At what times is the particle's speed instantaneously not changing (I get that the acceleration is zero).

Homework Equations

vx=dx/dt
vy=dy/dt
a=dv/dt.

I tried to differentiate the particle position r with respect to time getting velocity, and then taking the derivative of the velocity with respect to time getting acceleration.
When I had the acceleration as function of time, I got: a=(-2*0.5 m/s2)j. But how can I then solve for t, when it is not in the equation? What have I done wrong? Please help me with all the questions.

Are you unable to simplify -2*.05? Just asking..

So the object has constant, nonzero, acceleration. There is no time t where the acceleration is zero, so that's why you can't make it work.

If you want help on the other parts, you need so show your work and explain where you are stuck.

Daniel Luo said:

Homework Statement

x(t)=(1.2 m/s)t
y(t)=15m-(0.5m/s2)t2

Homework Equations

vx=dx/dt
vy=dy/dt
a=dv/dt.

Never, never include units like that in your equations; just write
x(t) = 1.2*t and y(t) = 15 -.5*t2 (in m/sec). For example, if you tried to submit your equations---exactly as written---to a computer algebra package, the computer would choke, or else would severely misinterpret your formulas.

Ray Vickson said:
Never, never include units like that in your equations; just write
x(t) = 1.2*t and y(t) = 15 -.5*t2 (in m/sec). For example, if you tried to submit your equations---exactly as written---to a computer algebra package, the computer would choke, or else would severely misinterpret your formulas.

Some books teach that as a way to catch errors, it seems. Mistakes in calculations are pernicious, so it may be a useful investment of time in tests where one is usually under stress anyway.

1. What does it mean for the velocity and acceleration to be perpendicular?

Perpendicular means that the two vectors are at a 90-degree angle to each other. In this case, it means that the direction of the velocity and acceleration are perpendicular to each other.

2. Can velocity and acceleration be perpendicular at any time?

No, velocity and acceleration can only be perpendicular at specific times when the direction of their vectors are at a 90-degree angle to each other. This typically occurs when the object is changing direction.

3. How can I determine when the velocity and acceleration are perpendicular?

You can determine when the velocity and acceleration are perpendicular by using vector analysis. This involves finding the magnitude and direction of both vectors and then determining if they are at a 90-degree angle to each other.

4. What is the significance of velocity and acceleration being perpendicular?

When velocity and acceleration are perpendicular, it means that the object is changing direction but not changing speed. This can be useful in understanding the motion of an object and predicting its future movement.

5. Are there any real-life examples of velocity and acceleration being perpendicular?

Yes, a common example is a projectile motion where the initial velocity and acceleration due to gravity are perpendicular to each other. Another example is a car making a turn, where the velocity and centripetal acceleration are perpendicular.