Improving Performance of HP.115 Simulator Model: Challenges and Solutions

In summary, the conversation is about a project to rebuild the Handley Page HP.115 aircraft using a simulator. The aircraft was used for testing during the development of the Concorde and the model is currently not performing well. The speaker has tried adjusting various factors but is still experiencing poor performance. They are seeking advice on how to improve the aircraft's performance.
Babb
Hi everyone,

In my project work, I have to "rebuild" the Handley Page HP.115 aircraft, using the simulator in my university. It is a Merlin MP521 and I am using the Excalibur II model editor. The aircraft was used to test the slender delta wing planform at low speeds as part of the Concorde development program. So my model flies, but the overall performance is very bad. I can barely reach the maximum speed of about 180 knots, the vertical speed is maximum 800ft/min without loosing speed and it is not possible to recap the flight profile of the original: High angles of attack at low speeds. I got my Cl, Cd, Cm over alpha data from a student who made a CFD analysis of the wing. I already converted the 3D data to 2D airfoil data and corrected the induced drag but the performance is still bad.

Are there a possiblity to approach the correct Cd values? I guess the drag is still far to high.
Or any other assumptions which could fix these problems.

Thanks and Cheers
Babb

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm sorry you are not generating any responses at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us? Any new findings?

1. What is the "HP.115 simulator model"?

The "HP.115 simulator model" is a computer software that simulates the behavior and functions of the HP.115 machine. It is used as a tool for training and testing purposes, allowing users to gain practical experience without using the actual machine.

2. How does the "HP.115 simulator model" work?

The "HP.115 simulator model" works by replicating the functions and operations of the actual HP.115 machine through computer code. Users can interact with the simulated machine through a user-friendly interface and perform tasks as they would on the actual machine.

3. What are the benefits of using the "HP.115 simulator model"?

The "HP.115 simulator model" offers numerous benefits, such as cost-effectiveness, convenience, and safety. It eliminates the need for expensive and time-consuming training on the actual machine, can be accessed anytime and anywhere, and reduces the risk of accidents during training.

4. Is the "HP.115 simulator model" accurate?

Yes, the "HP.115 simulator model" is designed to be as accurate as possible in replicating the functions and behavior of the actual machine. It undergoes rigorous testing and updates to ensure its accuracy and reliability for training and testing purposes.

5. Who can benefit from using the "HP.115 simulator model"?

The "HP.115 simulator model" can benefit anyone who needs to learn and practice using the HP.115 machine, such as technicians, engineers, and students. It can also be useful for companies that want to train their employees on the machine or for individuals who want to improve their skills on the machine.