What software should I consider for my physics lab?

In summary: Thanks for your input! In summary, Tito Smooth and Tio recommend that students should have exposure to MATLAB, Mathmatica, and a C/C++ compiler. They also suggest that a LaTex installation be included in the curriculum.
Gamma
Hello,

Once again I am here to consult with you. I am a new assistant professor at a community college and have gotten the privilege of updating the physics lab. Just yesterday, I competed a list of laboratory items that totaled up to 40 K! Hope the school will pass the funding :)

We are also going to purchase laptops and I want to decide the specs for the computer . This means I need to know what software might be installed in the future. Currently I am only using MS office products and LogoPro from Vernier. But this could change. What do you think about the following programs? If you are in education or industry, please give me your feedback. Are you using these? Would they be beneficial to my students, especially the Engineering students?

Labview
Matlab
Mathematica
Any other suggestions?

Thank you for help!

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Science news on Phys.org
Gamma said:
Hello,

Once again I am here to consult with you. I am a new assistant professor at a community college and have gotten the privilege of updating the physics lab. Just yesterday, I competed a list of laboratory items that totaled up to 40 K! Hope the school will pass the funding :)

We are also going to purchase laptops and I want to decide the specs for the computer . This means I need to know what software might be installed in the future. Currently I am only using MS office products and LogoPro from Vernier. But this could change. What do you think about the following programs? If you are in education or industry, please give me your feedback. Are yoou using these? Would they be beneficial to my students, especially the Engineering students?

Labview
Matlab
Mathematica
Any other suggestions?

Thank you for help!

i am a student and some of my math Proffesor offer extra credit by giving us mathematica assignments. Other professors at different schools are also implementing this. Newer math grads who had extensive use of mathematica is their graduates program are finding that the tool is extremely useful.

Matlab is also a strong choice for its use in the engineering field along with CAD.

I would also add Python and C++ on the list.

Likes 1 person
A lot of my engineer colleagues, as well as several of our industry partners, use a MATLAB plugin called "simulink".

Likes 1 person
Although the tools are great to have. They are useless if the instructor s are not giving coursework to use such tools.

A be try to bring it up in the next meeting of how f teachers implemented some of these tools into their curriculum it can help student success at four year institutions.

Likes 1 person
Thanks Tito Smooth and Tio for your input! Matlab seems to be a good one to have. I agree that there is no point in having any of these if they are not used for course work. I want to give my students some exposure to our students so that when they go out to 4 year colleges, they will be more confortable with dealing with such tools.

I think matlab, mathmatica, and a C/C++ compiler are almost essential.

After that I would discuss with the faculty what programs will be used (as others have previously stated).

A complete LaTex installation would be nice as well.

1. What is the role of software in physics computers?

Software plays a crucial role in physics computers by allowing scientists to perform complex calculations, simulate experiments, and visualize data. It enables researchers to analyze data and make predictions about physical phenomena.

2. What types of software are commonly used in physics computers?

Some commonly used software in physics computers include programming languages such as Python, simulation software like MATLAB or COMSOL, data analysis tools like Excel or Origin, and visualization software such as VMD or ParaView.

3. How do physicists use software to model and simulate physical systems?

Physicists use software to create mathematical models of physical systems, which are then simulated using algorithms and equations. This allows them to study and predict the behavior of complex systems that may be difficult or impossible to observe in the real world.

4. Can software be used to analyze experimental data in physics?

Yes, software is often used to analyze and interpret experimental data in physics. It can help researchers to identify patterns, trends, and correlations in the data, as well as make predictions and draw conclusions from the results.

5. How important is the use of software in modern physics research?

The use of software in modern physics research is essential. It enables scientists to tackle increasingly complex problems, perform advanced calculations, and analyze vast amounts of data. Without software, many breakthroughs in physics would not have been possible.