Spaceship entering mars

In summary, the conversation discussed the calculations and equations needed to determine the semi-minor axis, focal length, orbit, and time for a spaceship entering Mars. The calculations involved using the major axis of 530km, dividing it by 2 to get the semi-minor axis of 265km, and subtracting the Earth's distance to the sun of 150km to get the focal length of 115km. The vis-viva equation was also used to calculate the orbital speed of 7.625km/s and the time it would take for the spaceship to enter Mars, which was determined to be 30.095 minutes based on the distance of 230km from Earth to Mars.
rsyodoom2005
Spaceship entering mars!

okay guys so you have to open this file to read the question accuretely.. i have done some calculations but not sure if they are correct.

So just this as best as i can, fist i figure out my semi-minor axis = a
by 150km +150 KM +230 km =530km (major axis) now to get me semi minor axis i will just divide it by 2 . Giving me 265km!

Focal lenght= 265km - Earth's disntace to the sun (150 km) =115 km

Now to get my semi minor axis i use the equation b2=(a2-f2)
(530Km-300km)=b2
b=150km

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Now to calculate my orbit i will use the vis-viva equation V2=GM(2/r-1/a)Where GM is the gravitational parameter of the sun and a and r are the major and minor axis of the elliptical orbit.V2 = (6.67408*10^-11)(2/150-1/265)V2 = 5.834*10^-10V = 7.625km/sNow that i have my orbital speed i can calculate the time it will take for the spaceship to enter mars. I will use this equation to do so: Time = Distance / SpeedDistance from Earth to Mars : 230Km Time= 230KM/7.625km/s Time = 30.095 minutes

Thank you for sharing your calculations with us. Based on your calculations, it seems like you have determined the semi-major axis and semi-minor axis of the spaceship's orbit around Mars. However, I believe there may be some confusion with the units. Typically, the semi-major axis and semi-minor axis are measured in astronomical units (AU) or meters (m), not kilometers (km). Additionally, the focal length is usually measured in meters (m) or kilometers (km), not in kilometers squared (km2).

Furthermore, your calculations seem to be based on the assumption that the spaceship is orbiting Mars, rather than entering it. Entering Mars would require a different set of calculations, such as determining the velocity and trajectory needed to enter the planet's atmosphere.

In terms of the question at hand, entering Mars could have significant implications for space exploration and scientific discovery. It would allow us to study the planet's surface in more detail and potentially search for signs of past or present life. It could also open up possibilities for future colonization efforts. However, it would also present challenges such as navigating through the planet's atmosphere and ensuring the safety of the spacecraft and its crew. Overall, the successful entry of a spacecraft into Mars would be a significant milestone in space exploration and could bring us closer to understanding the mysteries of our neighboring planet.

1. How long does it take for a spaceship to reach Mars?

The time it takes for a spaceship to reach Mars depends on the distance between Earth and Mars at the time of launch. On average, it takes about 7 months for a spaceship to reach Mars.

2. How do scientists ensure a successful landing on Mars?

Scientists use a variety of advanced technologies and techniques to ensure a successful landing on Mars. This includes precise calculations of the spacecraft's trajectory, using thrusters to slow down the spacecraft's speed, and deploying a parachute for a soft landing.

3. What are the main challenges of entering Mars's atmosphere?

The main challenges of entering Mars's atmosphere include the high speeds at which the spaceship is travelling, the thin atmosphere of Mars, and the potential for strong winds and dust storms during descent.

4. How does a spaceship protect itself from the harsh conditions on Mars?

Spaceships have specialized heat shields that protect them from the intense heat and friction during atmospheric entry. They are also equipped with advanced systems to withstand the thin atmosphere and extreme temperatures on Mars.

5. What is the first thing a spaceship does upon entering Mars's atmosphere?

The first thing a spaceship does upon entering Mars's atmosphere is deploy its heat shield. This protects the spacecraft from extreme heat and friction as it enters the atmosphere at high speeds.