Kinetic and potential energy of harmonic oscillator

In summary, using ladder operator methods, the kinetic and potential energy of eigenstates of the harmonic oscillator can be determined. By substituting the squared value of x into the expression for potential energy and using the virial theorem, it was found that the potential energy is equal to one half of the energy expectation. This means that the kinetic energy must also be the same. Without any external references, it can be confirmed that the result is correct.
masudr

Homework Statement

Use ladder operator methods to determine the kinetic and potential energy of eigenstates of the harmonic oscillator.

Homework Equations

[tex]H=\frac{p^2}{2m} + \frac{1}{2}m\omega x^2[/tex]
[tex]x=\sqrt{\frac{\hbar}{2m \omega}}(a+a^{\dagger})[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So I squared x, and then substituted it in the expression for V:

[tex]\langle n | V | n \rangle[/tex]

I ended up getting [itex]V=\frac{1}{2}(n+\frac{1}{2})\hbar \omega[/itex]. This is one half of the energy expectation, so KE must be the same.

I just don't have any references with me to confirm if this is right. Can anyone tell me? Thanks in advance. I could write out what I got V as, if someone wants, but if the answer is right, there may not be much point.

Physics news on Phys.org
It is correct. You can verify your calculations independently using the virial theorem.

1. What is a harmonic oscillator?

A harmonic oscillator is a physical system that exhibits oscillatory motion around an equilibrium point. It can be described by a potential energy function that follows a specific mathematical form, known as a harmonic potential.

2. What is the relationship between kinetic and potential energy in a harmonic oscillator?

In a harmonic oscillator, the kinetic energy and potential energy are constantly interchanging. As the oscillator moves away from the equilibrium point, its potential energy increases and its kinetic energy decreases. As it moves back towards the equilibrium point, the opposite happens.

3. How does the amplitude of a harmonic oscillator affect its energy?

The amplitude of a harmonic oscillator, which is the maximum displacement from the equilibrium point, does not affect its energy. The total energy of a harmonic oscillator is determined by its frequency and mass, not its amplitude.

4. Can the energy of a harmonic oscillator ever be negative?

No, the energy of a harmonic oscillator is always positive. This is because the potential energy function for a harmonic oscillator is always positive and the total energy is the sum of the kinetic and potential energy.

5. How is the energy of a harmonic oscillator related to its frequency?

The energy of a harmonic oscillator is directly proportional to its frequency. This means that as the frequency increases, so does the energy. This relationship is described by the equation: E = (n + 1/2)hf, where n is the quantum number, h is Planck's constant, and f is the frequency.