How to develop a RAM Pump with a 300m delivery head?

In summary: It is possible to configure a RAM Pump to deliver up to a height of 300m (984 ft), as seen with commercial options from companies like Green and Carter. However, these can be expensive, with prices starting at 5000 GBP. It may be possible to create a homemade version using galvanized parts, but it would require strong materials and good seals to handle the high discharge pressure. Additionally, staging the pumps can help reduce costs, but it would require more pumps and tanks. In summary, while it is possible to achieve a 300m lift with a RAM Pump, it may be more feasible and cost-effective to consider alternative options.
P. Akpata
Hey there,

I was just wondering if its actually possible to configure a RAM Pump to deliver up to a height of 300m (984 ft)

I've made a ram that has a delivery head of 35m (115ft) for personal use; however a family friend wants me to set up a RAM for them that goes up to 250m and delivers usable pressure (hence I rounded up to 300m).

I have checked online and found that Green and Carter do RAMs with 300m + delivery head, but the asking price is 5000 GBP and up. Which needless to say is way out of my friends price range.

So can it be done using galvanized parts as a "home-made' project so to speak?

To give some further background information.

- I have scouted the pump area and I expect to be able to get between a 6m and 10m drop for the drive pipe.

- The drive pipe, swing check valve, and spring check valve will be either 2" or 3" galvanized steel.

- The source water will be a raised canal running from a sizable river (previously the canal fed a mill in a citrus, lime, crushing plant). I need to clean out the canal first before I can accurately measure the flow rate, but right now I estimate that I can get at least a 60gpm flow rate.

Thank you very much for your responses.

Engineering news on Phys.org
300 meters gives you a discharge pressure of around 430 psi, local internal pressures are probably a bit higher. That means you need strong materials, good seals, etc. hence the price. For what it's worth, 5000 bucks for 300 meters of lift is pretty darn good.

Also, that extra 50 meters of lift provides around 70 psi, are you sure you need that much usable pressure?

5000 GBP is roughly US $7500.00

Still a decent price for a pump with 300 m of head...

Staging ram pumps works well. You can use far cheaper materials if you break the lift into stages. But you need more pumps and a few staging tanks which pushes costs up. I got 80m of usable head from a basic single stage pump.
The target of 300m is very ambitious.

1. How does a RAM pump work?

A RAM pump works by using the power of flowing water to pump a smaller amount of water to a higher elevation. It consists of a drive pipe, a delivery pipe, and a valve mechanism. As water flows through the drive pipe, it creates pressure that opens and closes the valve, causing water to be pushed up the delivery pipe.

2. What materials are needed to develop a RAM pump with a 300m delivery head?

The materials needed for a RAM pump with a 300m delivery head will depend on the specific design and size of the pump. However, in general, you will need a drive pipe, a delivery pipe, a valve mechanism, and materials for constructing a sturdy frame to hold the pump in place. These materials can include PVC pipes, valves, fittings, and steel or aluminum for the frame.

3. How do I calculate the delivery head of a RAM pump?

The delivery head of a RAM pump can be calculated by multiplying the velocity of the water in the drive pipe by the height difference between the drive pipe and the outlet of the delivery pipe. This value can also be affected by the flow rate and the efficiency of the pump. It is important to properly size and design the pump to achieve the desired delivery head.

4. Can a RAM pump be used for irrigation purposes?

Yes, a RAM pump can be used for irrigation purposes as it can pump water to a higher elevation without the need for electricity or fuel. However, it is important to consider the flow rate and delivery head of the pump to ensure it can meet the irrigation needs of your specific system.

5. Are there any environmental concerns with using a RAM pump?

RAM pumps are generally considered to be environmentally friendly as they use the power of flowing water instead of electricity or fuel. However, it is important to ensure that the pump is installed and operated properly to prevent any potential negative impacts on the environment, such as erosion or water waste.