Principal Virtual Work Theories - Cylindrical Pipe Application

In summary, the conversation is about the Principle of Virtual Work and its application in pipeline engineering. The original poster is seeking guidance on how to use this theory for analyzing the behavior of individual layers in a multi-layer pipe, specifically for collapse and buckling. Some resources on the topic are suggested, but it is noted that API Bulletin 5C3 is more commonly used for determining pipe collapse resistance.
akmalhisham75
Dear All,

I did post this issues in the physics forum, however there is somebody ask me to post it in the engineering forum. With this I re-post it here.

Does anyone here familiar with a theory called Principal Virtual Work (Equilibrium theory) ?
I read somewhere that with this theory, i could relate(for pipeline application - collapse & buckling) the components for ovalisation, external pressure and hoop strain.
Appreciate if somebody could guide me on this matter.

Thank you

Regards

-Akmal-

Engineering news on Phys.org
akmalhisham75 said:
Dear All,

I did post this issues in the physics forum, however there is somebody ask me to post it in the engineering forum. With this I re-post it here.

Does anyone here familiar with a theory called Principal Virtual Work (Equilibrium theory) ?
I read somewhere that with this theory, i could relate(for pipeline application - collapse & buckling) the components for ovalisation, external pressure and hoop strain.
Appreciate if somebody could guide me on this matter.

Thank you

Regards

-Akmal-

Principle of Virtual Work: http://www.public.iastate.edu/~e_m.274h/deformable body virtual work.pdf

I've never used this principle for determining collapse or bucking of pipe. API Bulletin 5C3 gives lots of guidance on how to determine pipe collapse resistance.

Buckling is normally determined based on Euler Buckling.

CS

CS,

yes agreed in general...and it works well for a single layer pipe...however for a multi-layer pipe I'm trying to analyse the behaviour of each individual layer (which have different E and Yield) properties. So each individual layer has its own allowable strain value...so this where i want to have the relation between the properties I've mentioned earlier.

thanx anyway.

1. What is the principle of virtual work?

The principle of virtual work states that the work done by all external forces acting on a body is equal to the work done by the virtual displacements of the body under the same set of external forces.

2. How is the principle of virtual work applied in cylindrical pipe applications?

In cylindrical pipe applications, the principle of virtual work is used to calculate the stresses and strains in the pipe caused by external forces such as pressure and temperature changes. It is also used to determine the displacements and deformations of the pipe under these external forces.

3. What are the advantages of using the principle of virtual work in cylindrical pipe applications?

Using the principle of virtual work in cylindrical pipe applications allows for a simplified and more accurate analysis of the stresses and displacements in the pipe. It also eliminates the need for complex equations and calculations, making the analysis process more efficient.

4. Are there any limitations to using the principle of virtual work in cylindrical pipe applications?

Yes, there are some limitations to using the principle of virtual work in cylindrical pipe applications. It assumes that the material of the pipe is homogeneous and isotropic, and that the pipe is under static equilibrium. It also does not account for dynamic effects such as vibrations or fluid flow.

5. How does the principle of virtual work compare to other methods of analysis in cylindrical pipe applications?

The principle of virtual work is often preferred over other methods of analysis, such as the method of joints or method of sections, because it allows for a more comprehensive and accurate analysis of the stresses and displacements in the pipe. It also provides a more intuitive understanding of the behavior of the pipe under external forces.