Voltage in a Circuit: Calculate with Current Divider

In summary: R1+1/R2)In summary, the conversation is about finding the equivalent resistance in a circuit to calculate the voltage across a specific branch. The approach involves using current divider and converting the equivalent resistance into conductance. There is some confusion about the value of the equivalent resistance, but it is eventually resolved.
-EquinoX-

Homework Statement

http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/7609/circuit.jpg [Broken]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the answer of the question below is D, but how do I get to that answer?

My guess would be to use current divider to find the current going through v0 then we can calculate v0 then divide by is.

When I do that I got a very complicated result...

My calculations for the current divider is to find the equivalent resistance in the circuit, which is:

R1R2/R1+R2 || R1R2/R1+R2
which is R1R2/2R1+2R2

Then after calculating the v0/is I got R1R2/2(R1+R2). This doesn't seem to match the answers above
is this approach correct so far?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Vo/Is is the resistance. It does not depend on the branch current. The current in the circuit is Is. Vo is the same for R1 and R2.
So what is Vo across that branch? Convert the equivalent resistance into G to get the required answer.

rl.bhat said:
Vo/Is is the resistance. It does not depend on the branch current. The current in the circuit is Is. Vo is the same for R1 and R2.
So what is Vo across that branch? Convert the equivalent resistance into G to get the required answer.

the equivalent resistance is this:

R1R2/2R1+2R2

-EquinoX- said:
the equivalent resistance is this:

R1R2/2R1+2R2
From where did you get 2?
The resistance of desired branch is [tex]\frac{1}{G_{}1+G_{}2}[/tex]

1. What is voltage in a circuit?

Voltage, also known as electrical potential difference, is the measurement of the potential energy difference between two points in a circuit. It is measured in volts (V) and is the driving force that pushes electric charges through a circuit.

2. How is voltage calculated in a circuit?

Voltage can be calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that voltage (V) is equal to the product of current (I) and resistance (R). This can be represented by the equation V=IR. In a series circuit, the total voltage is equal to the sum of the individual voltage drops across each component. In a parallel circuit, the voltage is the same across all branches.

3. What is the purpose of a current divider in a circuit?

A current divider is a circuit that divides a single current into multiple branches, allowing different amounts of current to flow through each branch. This can be useful in controlling the amount of current flowing through different components in a circuit.

4. How is current divided in a circuit?

Current is divided in a circuit using Kirchhoff's Current Law, which states that the total current entering a junction is equal to the total current leaving the junction. The current through each branch is inversely proportional to the resistance of that branch, meaning that higher resistance branches will have less current flowing through them.

5. How do you calculate voltage in a circuit using current divider?

To calculate voltage using current divider, you first need to find the total resistance of the circuit. Then, use Ohm's Law (V=IR) to calculate the voltage drop across each branch. The total voltage of the circuit can then be found by summing the voltage drops across each branch.