Finding a spring constant of a spring holding a mass

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a vertical hoop with a spring attached to a block of mass m. The goal is to find the spring constant k. The conversation mentions using the equations for spring force and potential, as well as for energy, to solve for k. The conversation also suggests using the harmonic oscillation equation to define k.
boardbox

Homework Statement

I have a vertical hoop of radius R. A spring with spring constant k and relaxed length 0 is attached to the top of the hoop. A block of mass m is attached to the spring and dropped. Assuming the motion is a linear vertical oscillation between the top and bottom of the hoop, what is k?

Homework Equations

Spring force = -kx

Potential = -Integral(force) from a reference point to x

E = KE + PE

The Attempt at a Solution

Set x = 0 to the bottom of the hoop and let x positive point up.
This gives me F = -kx + 2Rk for the force exerted by the spring on my mass.
This gives me a spring potential:

V(x) = .5kx2 - 2Rkx + 2R2k

Gives me energy:

E = .5mv2 + V(x) + mgx

I know that x(0) = 2R and v(0) = 0, so I have an initial energy in terms of known variables but I can't think of anything to compare it with. I've written out the equation of motion for the mass to try to find some other functional x(t), v(t) values, but I'd like to know if there's some simpler method of solution that I'm just missing.

Looking for a value for k.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi there,

If the block is going up and down in a regular motion, then you can define the k constant through the harmonic oscillation equation.

Cheers

What is a spring constant and why is it important?

A spring constant, also known as the force constant, is a measure of how stiff a spring is. It determines the relationship between the force applied to a spring and the resulting displacement. It is important because it allows us to predict the behavior of a spring under different conditions and to compare different springs.

How do you find the spring constant of a spring holding a mass?

The spring constant can be found by using the equation F = kx, where F is the force applied to the spring, x is the resulting displacement, and k is the spring constant. To find the spring constant, you will need to measure the force applied and the resulting displacement, and then use these values in the equation.

What tools are needed to find the spring constant?

To find the spring constant, you will need a spring, a mass, a ruler or measuring tape to measure displacement, and a force meter or scale to measure the force applied to the spring. You may also need a calculator to perform calculations.

Are there any factors that can affect the accuracy of the spring constant measurement?

Yes, there are several factors that can affect the accuracy of the spring constant measurement. These include the accuracy of the measuring tools, the precision of the measurements, and external factors such as air resistance or friction. It is important to minimize these factors as much as possible to obtain an accurate measurement.

Can the spring constant change over time?

Yes, the spring constant can change over time due to factors such as wear and tear, temperature changes, or stretching of the spring. It is important to regularly check and recalibrate the spring constant to ensure accurate results in experiments or calculations.