Another question on Angular diameter

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of angular diameter and how it is measured. Actual measurements can be done with telescopes, regardless of the magnification, but space probes are able to measure the diameter and shape more accurately. The angle formed between two lines from the observer to opposite sides of the object is the standard measurement for angular diameter.
aldool
I read a post here on PF about angular diameter, https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=91704
I *THINK* I understand the math, my question is the actual measurement of Jupiter. Is it done at zero magnification (how?!) or 100x or ??x
And with what piece of equipment?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Actual measurements can be done with telescopes, but the magnification does not matter, you just have to take it into account in the calculation.
Space probes there can measure the diameter (and shape) more accurately.

What I believe that mfb is trying to say is that angular diameter, unless otherwise stated, is taken to be the angle formed between two lines whose meeting point is at the observer and whose ends fall on opposite sides of the object being measured.

1. What is Angular Diameter?

The angular diameter is a measure of the size of an object as seen from a particular point in space. It is typically measured in units of degrees or arcminutes and is used to describe the apparent size of stars, planets, and other objects in the sky.

2. How is Angular Diameter calculated?

The angular diameter is calculated by dividing the actual diameter of an object by its distance from the observer. This value can then be converted into degrees or arcminutes depending on the desired unit of measurement.

3. Why is Angular Diameter important in astronomy?

Angular diameter is important in astronomy because it allows us to accurately describe and compare the sizes of objects in the sky. This is especially useful when studying distant objects such as stars and galaxies.

4. What is the difference between Angular Diameter and Linear Diameter?

Angular diameter is a measure of the apparent size of an object, while linear diameter is a measure of the actual physical size of an object. Angular diameter takes into account the distance between the observer and the object, while linear diameter does not.

5. Can Angular Diameter change?

Yes, the angular diameter of an object can change depending on the distance between the observer and the object. For example, the angular diameter of the moon appears larger when it is closer to the Earth compared to when it is further away.