Inequalities and Rearranging equations

In summary, an inequality is a mathematical statement that compares two quantities using symbols such as <b><</b> (less than), <b>></b> (greater than), <b><=</b> (less than or equal to), or <b>>=</b> (greater than or equal to). It differs from an equation, which shows equality between two quantities. To solve an inequality, you need to isolate the variable on one side of the inequality sign using inverse operations, but if you multiply or divide by a negative number, you must flip the inequality sign. Inequalities can be graphed on a number line, with open circles for <b><</b> or <b>></b> symbols
cooev769
So i have an equation to calculate the impossibility of pair production during photon decay into two electrons and I'm having to do some momentum conservation, can't quite do it but a colleague of mine has suggested this which I don't particularly agree with some help would be appreciated.

So we have some numbers which are constants and one we know is < 0 because its a square negative. He suggests using something like the simple example below which clearly doesn't work if you could suggest why that would be great.

-100+3=-97<0

Rearrange to

3=3<0

He did the same thing but with energies, where k is a constant:

k -Ea^2/c^2 - Eb^2/c^2 - 2EaEb/c^2 = -Ei^2/c^2 < 0

Just rearranged to:

Ea^2/c^2 + Eb^2/c^2 + 2EaEb/c^2 -Ei^2/c^2 < 0

Ea^2/c^2 + Eb^2/c^2 + 2EaEb/c^2 < Ei^2/c^2

I'm not happy with this proof.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
cooev769 said:
So i have an equation to calculate the impossibility of pair production during photon decay into two electrons and I'm having to do some momentum conservation, can't quite do it but a colleague of mine has suggested this which I don't particularly agree with some help would be appreciated.

So we have some numbers which are constants and one we know is < 0 because its a square negative. He suggests using something like the simple example below which clearly doesn't work if you could suggest why that would be great.

-100+3=-97<0
Yes, -100+ 3 is equivalent to -97 which is negative.

Rearrange to

3=3<0
No. You don't say how you rearranged this but this incorrect. I suspect that you got "3= 3" by adding 100 to both sides of -100+ 3= -97 but the result is no longer "< 0". You would have to add 100 to each part to arrive at "3= 3< 100".

He did the same thing but with energies, where k is a constant:

k -Ea^2/c^2 - Eb^2/c^2 - 2EaEb/c^2 = -Ei^2/c^2 < 0

Just rearranged to:

Ea^2/c^2 + Eb^2/c^2 + 2EaEb/c^2 -Ei^2/c^2 < 0

Ea^2/c^2 + Eb^2/c^2 + 2EaEb/c^2 < Ei^2/c^2
"He" appears to have done two things to the first inequality:
First, multiply by -1. But multiplying by a negative number reverses the inequality:
-k+ Ea^2/c^3+ Eb^2/c^2+ 2EaEb/c^2= Ei^2/c^2> 0

then add k to each part:
Ea^2/c^3+ Eb^2/c^3+ 2EaEb/c^2= Ei^2/c^2+ k> k.

I'm not happy with this proof.
I don't mean to be harsh but shouldn't two people who are working with "pair production" and "photon decay" be able to do basic, elementary school algebra?

What is an inequality?

An inequality is a mathematical statement that compares two quantities using symbols such as < (less than), > (greater than), <= (less than or equal to), or >= (greater than or equal to).

What is the difference between an equation and an inequality?

An equation is a mathematical statement that shows that two quantities are equal, while an inequality shows a relationship between two quantities that may or may not be equal.

How do you solve an inequality?

To solve an inequality, you need to isolate the variable on one side of the inequality sign by using inverse operations, just like solving an equation. However, if you multiply or divide by a negative number, you must flip the inequality sign.

Can you graph inequalities on a number line?

Yes, you can graph inequalities on a number line by using an open circle for < or > symbols, and a closed circle for <= or >= symbols. Then, shade the area representing the solution.

What does it mean to rearrange an equation?

Rearranging an equation means to manipulate the terms and variables in an equation in order to isolate a specific variable or simplify the equation. This is done by using inverse operations and following the rules of algebra.