Is x equal to the 4th root of y in the equation y=x^4?

• Thread starter Jhenrique
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Root
In summary: The inverse of the function f(z) = z4 can be written as f-1(z) = ##\pm\sqrt[4]{z}##. This is because for any complex number z, there are four fourth roots of z, and the inverse function will give us one of those roots. This can be verified by plugging in a complex number for z and seeing that the output is one of the fourth roots of that number. However, plotting a complex graph is not necessary to verify this.
Jhenrique
If ##y=x^4##, so x is equal to ##\pm \sqrt[4]{y}## or x is equal to ##\pm \sqrt[2]{\pm \sqrt[2]{y}}## ?

Well, I think that x is qual to ##\pm \sqrt[4]{y}## because

##
\\y=x^4
\\\sqrt[4]{y} = \sqrt[4]{x^4} = \sqrt[2]{\sqrt[2]{(x^2)^2}} = \sqrt[2]{|x^2|} = \sqrt[2]{|x|^2} = ||x|| = |x|
\\ \pm \sqrt[4]{y}=x
##

Right!?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
If y is non-negative, this is indeed the real solutions for x.

Jhenrique said:
If ##y=x^4##, so x is equal to ##\pm \sqrt[4]{y}## or x is equal to ##\pm \sqrt[2]{\pm \sqrt[2]{y}}## ?

Well, I think that x is qual to ##\pm \sqrt[4]{y}## because

##
\\y=x^4
\\\sqrt[4]{y} = \sqrt[4]{x^4} = \sqrt[2]{\sqrt[2]{(x^2)^2}} = \sqrt[2]{|x^2|} = \sqrt[2]{|x|^2} = ||x|| = |x|
\\ \pm \sqrt[4]{y}=x
##

Right!?
This is a basic algebra question that you should be able to answer for yourself.

If y = 16 = 24, then y = ##\pm##2. These are the only real fourth roots of 16. The other two roots are imaginary.

Some of what you wrote above is unnecessary, such as replacing x2 by |x2|. If x is real, then x2 ≥ 0, so x2 and |x2| represent the same number.

This notation -- ||x|| -- means the norm of x, in which the context is usually that x is a vector or something in a vector space. It's overkill to use ||x|| when all you mean is the absolute value, |x|.

Note that people are saying "the real roots". If y is a positive real number then it has 2 real fourth roots and two imaginary roots. If y is not a positive real number then all four fourth roots are complex numbers.

A) ||x|| isn't the norm of, is the abs of abs of x.

B) I didn't omit the abs in |x|² for efect of step-by-step.

C) All roots of equation ##y = x^4## is given by ##x=\pm\sqrt[2]{\pm\sqrt[2]{y}}##. But, if ##f(x) = x^4##, the inverse function is given simply ##f^{-1}(x) = \pm \sqrt[4]{x}##. Also, if ##f(z) = z^4##, thus maybe the inverse function is probably given by ##f^{-1}(z) = \pm\sqrt[2]{\pm\sqrt[2]{z}}## and not by ##f^{-1}(z) = \pm \sqrt[4]{z}##. But, I don't know how to verify this, cause I don't know how and where I can plot a complex graphic.

Jhenrique said:
A) ||x|| isn't the norm of, is the abs of abs of x.
Why do this? The absolute value of a real number is nonnegative, so there's no point in taking the absolute value again.
Jhenrique said:
B) I didn't omit the abs in |x|² for efect of step-by-step.
Then you're adding extra, unnecessary steps. All you need to say is that ##\sqrt{x^2} = |x|##. And as I mentioned in another thread, including the index of 2 on your square root is completely unnecessary. This is one of a number of shortcuts that we take in mathematics. For example, we rarely write 1x in place of x, or y1 when we mean y.
Jhenrique said:
C) All roots of equation ##y = x^4## is given by ##x=\pm\sqrt[2]{\pm\sqrt[2]{y}}##. But, if ##f(x) = x^4##, the inverse function is given simply ##f^{-1}(x) = \pm \sqrt[4]{x}##.
No.
What you wrote for the inverse is not a function. f is not a one-to-one function, so it doesn't have an inverse. However, if we restrict the domain to x ≥ 0, then f is now one-to-one, and its inverse is f-1(x) = ##\sqrt[4]{x}##. No ##\pm##.
Jhenrique said:
Also, if ##f(z) = z^4##, thus maybe the inverse function is probably given by ##f^{-1}(z) = \pm\sqrt[2]{\pm\sqrt[2]{z}}## and not by ##f^{-1}(z) = \pm \sqrt[4]{z}##. But, I don't know how to verify this, cause I don't know how and where I can plot a complex graphic.

1. What does "x equal to the 4th root of y" mean in the equation y=x^4?

In this equation, x is being raised to the power of 4, which is represented by the superscript 4. This means that x is being multiplied by itself 4 times. The 4th root of y means the number that, when multiplied by itself 4 times, will result in y. So essentially, the equation is saying that x is equal to the number that, when raised to the 4th power, will result in y.

2. How do I solve for x in the equation y=x^4?

To solve for x in this equation, you need to take the 4th root of both sides. This means finding the number that, when multiplied by itself 4 times, will result in y. This can be done using a calculator or by using the inverse operation of raising a number to the 4th power, which is taking the 4th root.

3. Can x and y be any real numbers in this equation?

Yes, in this equation, x and y can be any real numbers. The 4th root of a number can be both positive and negative, so both x and y can take on positive or negative values.

4. Are there any restrictions on the values of x and y in this equation?

There are no restrictions on the values of x and y in this equation. However, it is important to keep in mind that when taking the 4th root of a negative number, the result will be a complex number. So if either x or y is a negative number, the solution for x will be a complex number.

5. How can I graph this equation on a coordinate plane?

To graph this equation, you can plot points by choosing different values for x and then finding the corresponding value for y using the equation. Once you have a few points, you can connect them to create a smooth curve. Keep in mind that the graph may include both positive and negative values on both the x and y axes, since x and y can both be positive or negative in this equation.