If dy/dt = ky and k is a nonzero constant, y could be

• Thread starter lude1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Constant
In summary: Look at the derivative of e^kt and see how that relates to e^kt.The 'correct' thing to do would be dy/dt = ky∫ dy/y = ∫ k dtBut since you have a multiple choice, you could quickly differentiate each one if you wanted to.Hm.. this is what I got when I did ∫ dy/y = ∫ k dtlny = kty = e^ktWhere does the 2 come from? I guessed it would have to be from a square, but when you do the integral of a number (since k is a nonzero constant) you multiply the constant
lude1

Homework Statement

If dy/dt = ky and k is a nonzero constant, than y could be

a. 2e^kty
b. 2e^kt
c. e^kt + 3
d. kty + 5
e. .5ky^2 + .5

Correct answer is b. 2e^kt

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't really know what I should be doing. I have a feeling I have to work backwards, therefore do the integral of ky? But if that is the case, I have no idea how e^kt is created through that integral. 2e^kt reminded me of Ce^kt, but that doesn't have anything to do with this problem either.

Physics news on Phys.org
Look at the derivative of e^kt and see how that relates to e^kt.

The 'correct' thing to do would be

dy/dt = ky

∫ dy/y = ∫ k dt

But since you have a multiple choice, you could quickly differentiate each one if you wanted to.

Hm.. this is what I got when I did ∫ dy/y = ∫ k dt

lny = kt
y = e^kt

Where does the 2 come from? I guessed it would have to be from a square, but when you do the integral of a number (since k is a nonzero constant) you multiply the constant with a variable with an exponent of 1, not 2.

lude1 said:
Hm.. this is what I got when I did ∫ dy/y = ∫ k dt

lny = kt
y = e^kt

Where does the 2 come from? I guessed it would have to be from a square, but when you do the integral of a number (since k is a nonzero constant) you multiply the constant with a variable with an exponent of 1, not 2.

you'd get

ln y = kt+A such that y=ekt+A=Bekt where B is a constant. So B can be any number, such as '2'.

Ah, I forgot about that. Thanks!

lude1 said:

Homework Statement

If dy/dt = ky and k is a nonzero constant, than y could be

a. 2e^kty
If this means y=-2e^(kty) then its derivative is dy/dt= 2ke^(kty)(ky+ kt(dy/dt)).
dy/dt(1- 2kt e^(kty)= 2k^y e^(kty). No, that differential equation is not satisfied.

b. 2e^kt
If y= 2e^(kt), then dy/dt= 2(ke^(kt))= k(2e^(kt))= ky and satisfies the equation.
(I am assuming the parentheses combine these as you wanted- that you did not intend 2(e^k)t.)

c. e^kt + 3
If y= e^(kt)+ 3, then y'= ke^(kt) which is not ky= k(e^(kt)+ 3)

d. kty + 5
If y= kty+ 5, then dy/dt= ky+ kt dy/dt so dy/dt(1- kt)= ky and dy/dt= (k/(1-kt) y. That does not satisfy the given equation.

e. .5ky^2 + .5
If y= .5y^2+ .5, then dy/dt= 1.0 y dy/dt so dy/dt(1- y)= 0. Either dy/dt= 0 or y= 1. That does not satisfy the given equation.

Correct answer is b. 2e^kt

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't really know what I should be doing. I have a feeling I have to work backwards, therefore do the integral of ky? But if that is the case, I have no idea how e^kt is created through that integral. 2e^kt reminded me of Ce^kt, but that doesn't have anything to do with this problem either.

1. What is the general solution for dy/dt = ky?

The general solution for dy/dt = ky is y = Ce^(kt), where C is a constant.

2. What does the constant k represent in dy/dt = ky?

The constant k represents the rate of change or growth/decay rate of the variable y.

3. Can the value of k be negative in dy/dt = ky?

Yes, the value of k can be negative in dy/dt = ky. A negative value for k indicates a decay rate, while a positive value indicates a growth rate.

4. How does the initial value affect the solution for dy/dt = ky?

The initial value, represented by the constant C, determines the starting point for the solution. It affects the value of y at t=0 and can shift the graph of the solution up or down.

5. What are some real-life applications of the equation dy/dt = ky?

The equation dy/dt = ky can be used to model population growth, radioactive decay, and the spread of infectious diseases. It is also commonly used in finance to model compound interest and in physics to describe exponential decay of energy or particles.