What do you think my bike is worth?

• Thread starter ArcanaNoir
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bike
In summary, the person is looking to sell their 2006 Ninja 650R with 12,500 miles on it to help pay for a new car. They are trying to determine a fair price for the bike, which has some damage from being laid down but has sliders to minimize it. The bike also has several custom features and upgrades. They have not been able to find a comparable bike with similar damage on Craigslist or blue book. Suggestions are given to research market value and consider the cost of repairs when setting a price. The person is emotionally attached to the bike but is advised to start planning for their next one.
ArcanaNoir
I need to sell my bike to help pay for a new car. I'm trying to get an idea for what it's worth. It's a 2006 Ninja 650R with 12,500 miles on it. I laid it down once a few years ago, but I have sliders on it so the damage is minimal. The pictures are an accurate reflection of the damage. The full side view is the damaged side. Its got a custom tail, LED tail lights, a two-brothers muffler, custom paint on the lower half (these bikes were originally two-tone..yuck..), new tires, and red led accessory lights.

What do you guys think I should ask for it?

25hlc8h.jpg

10xdmjs.jpg

fu761k.jpg

2qbd5xx.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
use blue book and craigslist

Bluebook doesn't account for damage to motorcycles. I have not been able to find a bike on craigslist that is close to mine in age and miles and cc's with damage of a similar extent. Most laid-down bikes have more serious damage; cracked plastic, bent frame, stuff like that, or they have been repaired.

That's when you add "or best offer" to the ad and disclose the history so the buyer knows what they're getting. The only answer is it's worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it. You may have a number in mind that you won't go below or it's not worth selling to you, but if you're married, you may also have the "Just get that thing out of the garage or you'll be sleeping with it" factor to consider.

ArcanaNoir said:
Bluebook doesn't account for damage to motorcycles. I have not been able to find a bike on craigslist that is close to mine in age and miles and cc's with damage of a similar extent. Most laid-down bikes have more serious damage; cracked plastic, bent frame, stuff like that, or they have been repaired.

I guess I meant to look in a pricing guide that lists the expected price as a function of the condition of the book. I meant look in a "bluebook", not to use the bluebook (mint condition) value.

Well that's a nice bike. I think 6K is fair for me.

Arcana,

It's too bad you didn't live up here my friend is a great painter, and for a reasonable price could fix/paint the tank and plastics like new for a reasonable price. They are off today, shop is closed I will ask about a price tomorrow and a price to repair to give you some idea.

Rhody...

Look up the book value for the bike, then reference similar bikes on craigslist or auto-trader or whatever and see what they are "realistically" selling for. I noticed that kbb.com (among others) post a fairly inflated price (since you know, they're selling you ads and want you to check their as often as possible). Dealers don't even use any public service like that, that's free at least.

Once you know what it can reasonably sell for, you might think about the cost to fix the damage and subtract that the estimated mean value for the bike. Then add on 10 (or some) percent and place it for sale "for x obo".

I just talked to my sales guy at the bike shop, and with the specs you said in your original post, had quoted $3100 retail, and take $200 - $300 of for the paint/fiberglass repair damage. This is a realistic figure if you want to sell it in a reasonable timeframe, like 30 days.

Good luck...

Rhody...

Rhody's numbers look good to me. If you are friends with a local "shooter" that can touch up and buff the paint for less money, go for it. (if you have seen his/her work and have some confidence in it) Then, try to get fair market value, and be up-front about the repairs.

After I sold my heavily-tweaked Wide-Glide, the buyer called me in the spring-time to rave, saying "It's everything you said it was!". His cute GF was a Goth sporting a rather large knife, and she was carrying the cash. Kind of an odd transaction - it can be hard to sell a Harley in the winter, anyway. I started right from the front to the back of the back, describing modifications to the suspension, engine, fuel system, etc. Obviously the custom paint and some cosmetic mods were self-evident, but when I told him that bike would absolutely run away from any stock Evo, he was a bit skeptical. When he got a chance to try that in the spring, he had to call me and thank me. So sad to have sold off that monster after spending countless hours modding it.

My wife is a saint. Sometimes she would come home to find me tearing down and tweaking that S&S Super E carb on the kitchen table (on a nice layer of newspaper, of course) and just go about her business. Lots of women would have not had that patience.

Thanks for your thoughts and input guys. I hope I can get over my emotional attachment to it and make a good deal.

ArcanaNoir said:
Thanks for your thoughts and input guys. I hope I can get over my emotional attachment to it and make a good deal.
If you price it in the neighborhood we suggested you should be able to sell it soon, especially after people start filing income taxes and those who are getting refunds will be looking for used bikes.

As soon as you can Arcana, after you have a good reliable "cage" ride, start planning your next one, they are great for your mental health. I just paid for and picked up the black/lime green 2009 Kawasaki ZX6 from the shop today, it was high 50's here. Nice bike, but the brakes are a bit wooden compared to the monster as is the suspension, getting some front end chatter while hard on the front brakes. Don't have to worry about 90 mph second gear power wheelies either :tongue2:. I can practice smoothness with this bike, set it up with a quick shifter and I like that. The rear brake is more powerful than the BMW so have to be careful with that, no ABS either. I know I am torturing you, I am sorry.

Rhody...

Do you still have your motorbike?

'cause it would really be a shame to let such a beautiful piece of machinery go... :redface:

I sold it a couple days ago for $2,600. I might have gotten slightly more, but only maybe, and I sold it to a girl a few years younger than I as her first bike. Her excitedness made it a little less painful. Trying to focus on my new car now. Pictures forthcoming when the clouds let up. Probably monday.

ArcanaNoir said:
I sold it a couple days ago for $2,600. I might have gotten slightly more, but only maybe, and I sold it to a girl a few years younger than I as her first bike. Her excitedness made it a little less painful. Trying to focus on my new car now. Pictures forthcoming when the clouds let up. Probably monday.
Arcana,

She got a good deal. You shouldn't feel cheated, just sad, that is normal. I am wrestling with front end chatter (not stiff enough springs front, valving), rear sets too high, seat too low, and handlebars too low, on my 2009 Kawi ZX6. I have to get the ergo's right and the front end chatter fixed or my track days could get ugly in a hurry. No doubt I will, time, patience, perseverance, money and testing will fix the problems, one by one. I bought Woodcraft rearsets sight unseen, shame on me and they are too high and not adjustable, who ever heard of high rearsets and more important, ones that are not adjustable ! I should have checked before ordering them.

Rhody...

Last edited:
Here's the new car:
13z4bhs.jpg

I named it Small.

Smart! ;D

ArcanaNoir said:
Here's the new car:
13z4bhs.jpg

I named it Small.
Good for you congrats...

It even has the color scheme of your bike, red/black. Be careful stopped with the thing, do like you do with your bike. Someone who worked in this building was creamed by a car in your model car, 20 mph crash after slamming on the brakes and suffered no injuries. She was told if the crash had been at 35 or 40 mph, she may have been injured or worse. Since you have the mindset of biker, it will serve you well with your new "Small" transport. Drive safe and defensively.

Rhody...

Small?? I'm sure that's smart :biggrin:

You might feel better if you resprayed it like this:
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/EDITORIAL/editorial_images/non_imported/www_smart_car_paintjob.jpg

(but not like this)
http://blogue.us/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/Hello-Kitty-Smart-Car-Happy-Pink-583x367.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
rhody said:
Good for you congrats...

It even has the color scheme of your bike, red/black. Be careful stopped with the thing, do like you do with your bike. Someone who worked in this building was creamed by a car in your model car, 20 mph crash after slamming on the brakes and suffered no injuries. She was told if the crash had been at 35 or 40 mph, she may have been injured or worse. Since you have the mindset of biker, it will serve you well with your new "Small" transport. Drive safe and defensively.

Rhody...

Definitely driving defensively. I got tapped by a hummer once while stopped on my bike. That was just irritating. How freakin close did he need to get? Apparently just close enough to shove me over.
A good part of being super short is there is less car for someone to hit.

AlephZero said:
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/EDITORIAL/editorial_images/non_imported/www_smart_car_paintjob.jpg

(but not like this)
http://blogue.us/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/Hello-Kitty-Smart-Car-Happy-Pink-583x367.jpg [Broken]

lol!

AlephZero said:

(but not like this)

The image of the bike on the car inspires the soul, like this...

The second one, well, not so much.

Rhody...

What factors determine the value of a bike?

The value of a bike is determined by several factors such as the brand, age, condition, and features of the bike. Additionally, the current market demand for the bike and its availability also play a role in determining its value.

How can I accurately determine the value of my bike?

The most accurate way to determine the value of your bike is by researching similar bikes that have been sold recently. You can also consult with a professional bike appraiser or use online tools that take into account the bike's specifications and current market trends.

Why can the same bike have different values?

The value of a bike can vary due to factors such as its condition, any modifications or upgrades, and the location where it is being sold. Additionally, the perceived value of a bike can also differ among potential buyers.

Will the value of my bike increase over time?

The value of a bike may increase over time depending on its rarity, popularity, and any historical significance it may have. However, the value can also decrease if it becomes outdated or if a newer model with better features is released.

Can I negotiate the value of my bike?

Yes, you can negotiate the value of your bike with potential buyers. Keep in mind that the final value will depend on the agreement between you and the buyer, as well as the current market demand for your bike.