Proposed Bill Would Outlaw Facebook Account Access As Employment Requirement

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Employment
In summary: But you're not an employee yet at the job interview, which this action is suppose to be for :). And I think most people realize that the details of your personal life CAN affect ones job performance. That's why you won't be surprised to see anyone who works with money having their credit checked,...I think you're misunderstanding the purpose of this law. It's not meant to be used against employees, it's meant to protect them from being unfairly screened. If an employer wants to see your Facebook profile, they should at least have the decency to ask you directly.I think you're misunderstanding the purpose of this law. It's not meant to be used against employees, it's meant to protect them from being
Last night in class, as we were discussing privacy issues, which is always a hot topic. Someone raised the very disturbing news that employers have begun to demand access to applicants’ Facebook profiles as a condition of considering them for … Continue reading →http://stats.wordpress.com/b.gif?host=virtualnavigator.wordpress.com&blog=11498882&post=894&subd=virtualnavigator&ref=&feed=1

Read More...

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't post stupid stuff online.

Anything you post in social sites such as Facebook is no longer your property. It says so on the Terms you agree when you open the account. This is why the best you can do is to avoid any social networking sites.

Ban the Facebook - Its a complete waste of time. Physicsforums is way better.

Kholdstare said:
Ban the Facebook - Its a complete waste of time. Physicsforums is way better.

Lol.
I would disagree with point that facebook is a waste of time.

I met so many of my childhood friends whom I had totally lost contact with.
Its an amazing privilege to know them after years.Facebook has several merits but has its downsides too.
Like employers asking for access to account is like insane. Its employers fault not facebook's :P

Agreed. Facebook should be banned.

@Evo: I wrote that article (it's from my blog). What specifically about the post is stupid? How could I make it less so?

@Pyrrhus: That's not exactly true. If you read it closely, you don't give up ALL intellectual property rights to your content when you post it, you just give Facebook a worldwide license to use your content so they can display it to people who want to see it. It's really more about the technicalities of providing the service they do than a malevolent scheme to steal your ideas. Furthermore, your suggestion for avoiding social networking sites also implies that people should avoid sites like PF, a place where you've posted >2,000 times. You clearly like the idea of a site where people can share ideas about physics, science and other topics, so why hate on Facebook just because it caters to an audience that isn't so specific?

Aziraphale said:
@Evo: I wrote that article (it's from my blog). What specifically about the post is stupid? How could I make it less so?

I'm pretty sure she was making a general statement about people posting stuff that reflects poorly on them, and not referring to you at all.

You clearly like the idea of a site where people can share ideas about physics, science and other topics, so why hate on Facebook just because it caters to an audience that isn't so specific?

A big difference between Facebook and PF is that we don't require people to identify themselves with their real names, addresses and other personal information.

jtbell said:
I'm pretty sure she was making a general statement about people posting stuff that reflects poorly on them, and not referring to you at all.

For a second I though she was referring to Greg's post. Only a second!

jtbell said:

A big difference between Facebook and PF is that we don't require people to identify themselves with their real names, addresses and other personal information.

Of course. I see it now. [wipes egg off face]

The last thing we need are more laws. Isn't this what unions are supposed to be for (or used to be), to protect employers from unfair employees? The job interviewee should just have the courage to say, "the details of my personal life will not effect my job performance, so it is none of your business." A good employer will like that kind of a response.

Aziraphale said:
Oh no, sorry, I was referring to people posting stupid personal stuff online, like FB. I've been telling people for years that even if you delete it, you have no idea where it could be copied. Nothing against you. I have a bad habit of being WAY too brief with my posts, after all, *I* know what I mean. :redface:

chrisbaird said:
The last thing we need are more laws. Isn't this what unions are supposed to be for (or used to be), to protect employers from unfair employees? The job interviewee should just have the courage to say, "the details of my personal life will not effect my job performance, so it is none of your business." A good employer will like that kind of a response.

But you're not an employee yet at the job interview, which this action is suppose to be for :). And I think most people realize that the details of your personal life CAN affect ones job performance. That's why you won't be surprised to see anyone who works with money having their credit checked, people who work with kids or in important government jobs getting a background check, and tons of jobs have drug tests.

Evo said:
Oh no, sorry, I was referring to people posting stupid personal stuff online, like FB. I've been telling people for years that even if you delete it, you have no idea where it could be copied. Nothing against you. I have a bad habit of being WAY too brief with my posts, after all, *I* know what I mean. :redface:

Going along these lines a little, without hopefully going too far off topic. I had a friend who got fired for posting something on facebook after a hard day at work. It was copied by a customer and sent to corporate, she was terminated the next day.

JonDE said:
Going along these lines a little, without hopefully going too far off topic. I had a friend who got fired for posting something on facebook after a hard day at work. It was copied by a customer and sent to corporate, she was terminated the next day.

imagine if she had gone into the lunch room and said the same things very loudly in conversation with some people

it's the same exact thing, Facebook is as public as private as you make it. If the person has friends that she doesn't trust... then she should be more careful with what she says on facebook, since lots of people can see it.

IMO: facebook is pretty dumb, I mostly think this because I'm not really a socializing type of dude and am the opposite of interested in meeting old friends that... I am no longer friends with.

A young woman at my wife's place of employment ranted on Facebook about how "stupid" her co-workers are and how they "couldn't even manage to get jobs at WalMart". No contest - she was gone the next day.

The problem is more the evidence rather than what you say. It is worse reading it rather than hearing it. Sound is gone without a trace, but words written are always there. It is a perception issue.

In my opinion, laws will continue to change and the concept of privacy as we get too close with each other through the internet. Frankly, I like to keep my distance.

http://winecountrymom.blogs.santarosamom.com/13037/teacher-facebook-photo/ [Broken]

This is what is happening with Privacy.

Employers perceptions on privacy.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the proposed bill regarding Facebook account access as an employment requirement?

The proposed bill aims to make it illegal for employers to require job applicants or employees to provide access to their personal social media accounts, specifically Facebook, as a condition of employment.

2. Why is this bill being proposed?

This bill is being proposed in response to growing concerns over privacy and discrimination in the workplace. Many individuals feel that being forced to provide access to their personal social media accounts is an invasion of privacy and can also lead to discrimination based on personal beliefs, political views, and other private information.

3. How will this bill affect employers?

If this bill is passed, employers will no longer be able to ask for access to personal social media accounts as part of the hiring process or during employment. They will also not be allowed to retaliate against employees or applicants who refuse to provide access to their accounts.

4. Are there any exceptions to this proposed bill?

Yes, there are some exceptions. Employers may still be able to access social media accounts in certain situations, such as for investigations of illegal activity or to protect the company's confidential information.

5. What is the current status of this proposed bill?

As of now, this bill is still being debated and has not been passed into law. It is important to stay informed about any developments and changes in the bill's status.