Register to reply

Modulus of a tensor

by Jhenrique
Tags: modulus, tensor
Share this thread:
Jhenrique
Mar10-14, 02:53 AM
P: 686
I was thinking... if the modulus of a vector can be calculated by ##\sqrt{\vec{v} \cdot \vec{v}}##, thus the modulus of a tensor (of rank 2) wouldn't be ##\sqrt{\mathbf{T}:\mathbf{T}}## ?
Phys.Org News Partner Mathematics news on Phys.org
'Moral victories' might spare you from losing again
Fair cake cutting gets its own algorithm
Effort to model Facebook yields key to famous math problem (and a prize)
DrewD
Mar10-14, 06:10 PM
P: 445
Using ##\sqrt{\vec{v}\cdot\vec{v}}## for the magnitude of a vector makes sense because the Euclidean norm (which that is) relates to our world. I am definitely not the most well versed in tensors in general, but my understanding is that there is no particular idea of a magnitude that makes similar physical sense.

The most common norms that I recall were the trace (which is only a norm if you take the magnitude of the diagonal elements?) and the Euclidean norm using the diagonal elements. I think that might be the what you wrote, but I'm not very familiar with that notation. I think that there are many others too, but those are the only ones that I ever used.

Register to reply