How electrons are excited in direct transitions?

In summary, an electron in the conduction band decaying back to the valence band can emit a photon. The recoil momentum is once again taken up by the crystal lattice.
hokhani
When a photon is radiated to a direct gap semiconductor and an electron is excited from valence band minimum to conduction band maximum, the applied force on the electron is zero (because k isn't changed) but the electron acquires energy. What is the source of the energy obtained by the electron in this transition?

Physics news on Phys.org
it's from valence band "max" to conduction band min.

Think of it in terms of excitation in an atom. You're going from quantum number n to n+1. There's an increase in energy associated with that. It corresponds with being "further" away from the nucleus.

This is the same story in bands. The valence band is "closer" to the nucleus and the conduction band is "farther" from the nucleus.

hokhani said:
the applied force on the electron is zero (because k isn't changed) but the electron acquires energy. What is the source of the energy obtained by the electron in this transition?

The energy stems from the photon. I wouldn't say that the applied force is zero, as k isn't true momentum. The momentum of the photon is taken up by the lattice as a hole.

DrDu said:
I wouldn't say that the applied force is zero, as k isn't true momentum.
I can not give exactly any idea about photon force, But I know that in an electric field:
[itex]Fexternal=d(\hbar k)/dt[/itex]

hokhani said:
I can not give exactly any idea about photon force, But I know that in an electric field:

Not sure what that has anything to do with this. We clearly know that a photon has momentum, so when it is absorbed, there has to be a momentum transfer. But as DrDu has stated, this is taken up by the lattice of the solids as a whole, and it is not manifested in the energy transition of the electron. This is not just an isolated electron encountering a photon.

The reverse is also true. An electron in the conduction band decaying back to the valence band can emit a photon. While the electron may not have change any of its crystal momentum, clearly a photon that is emitted has a momentum. The recoil momentum is once again taken up by the crystal lattice.

Zz.

Likes 1 person
hokhani said:

You can't use BBcodes inside latex, you should use " _ " for the sub scripts. :smile:

adjacent said:
You can't use BBcodes inside latex, you should use " _ " for the sub scripts. :smile:
Thank you. But using "_" I can only write one letter (for example: e) in the subscript and not more than one (for example: external).

hokhani said:
Thank you. But using "_" I can only write one letter (for example: e) in the subscript and not more than one (for example: external).

Use _{Whatever you want} .
See,
[itex]F_{external}=\frac{\text{d}(\hbar k)}{\text{d}t}[/itex]

What I wrote is:
Code:
[itex]F_{external}=\frac{\text{d}(\hbar k)}{\text{d}t}[/itex]

You can also right-click on my latex> show math as> Tex commands

Likes 1 person
hokhani said:

Enclose them in curly brackets or use _\mathrm{ext} if you want them roman style.

I assume that your question has been satisfactorily answered (please acknowledge if it is, rather than let it hang) considering that we are now discussing how to do LaTex in this thread.

Zz.

hokhani said:
[itex]F_\mathrm{external}=d(\hbar k)/dt[/itex]

This holds for the motion of wavepackets in one band, not for interband transitions.

Likes 1 person
You can imagine the interband transition like an elastic collision, for example, with a photon and the electron. As the photon has momentum p=h/λ, the momentum of the electron also has to change. But the momentum of the photon is much less than that of the crystal momentum at the Brillouin zone boundary so the transition looks almost vertical. Exactly vertical transition can happen by the assistance of an other particle, with a phonon.

ehild

Likes 1 person

1. How are electrons excited in direct transitions?

Electrons are excited in direct transitions when they absorb energy from an external source, such as light or heat. This energy boosts the electrons to a higher energy level, and when they return to their original state, they release the excess energy in the form of light.

2. What is the difference between direct and indirect transitions?

In direct transitions, the energy absorbed by the electrons is equal to the energy released, resulting in a more efficient emission of light. In indirect transitions, the energy absorbed by the electrons is not equal to the energy released, leading to a less efficient emission of light.

3. Can any material undergo direct transitions?

No, not all materials can undergo direct transitions. The material must have a band gap, which is the energy difference between the valence and conduction bands. Only materials with a direct band gap can undergo direct transitions.

4. How are direct transitions important in optoelectronic devices?

Direct transitions are crucial in optoelectronic devices, such as solar cells and LEDs, as they are responsible for the emission of light. The efficiency of these devices depends on the ability of the material to undergo direct transitions.

5. What factors affect the efficiency of direct transitions?

The efficiency of direct transitions can be affected by the material's band gap, the strength of the external energy source, and the presence of defects or impurities in the material. Additionally, the crystal structure and temperature can also impact the efficiency of direct transitions.