Movie Making Software Similar to Windows Movie Maker XP but for 7?

In summary, the conversation is about finding a movie maker program for Windows 7 and a netbook that offers more features than the standard Windows Movie Maker. The user has tried other recommended programs, but they have not been successful due to compatibility issues or being detected as a threat by their anti-virus. They prefer a program that allows for manual trimming and specifying video length in minutes rather than seconds. One suggestion is Adobe After Effects, but it is not suitable for their netbook's specs. The user also expresses frustration with the time-consuming process of figuring out video length in seconds and the difficulties encountered when using Windows Movie Maker.
PhysicStragler
Does anyone know of a movie maker program that`s similar to the one on windows XP but that can work for Windows 7 and on a netbook?

I tried making movies with the new windows movie maker, but it trims in seconds and it`s to much of a hassle to make more then one using it.

I`ve downloaded some recommended ones but can`t get on with them,or they`ve been detected as a threat by my anti virus program.

I preferable want it to either let you trim it manually or allow you to specify how long the video is in minutes not seconds.

Thanks for any recommendations.

P.S:Would the XP one work in compatibility mode for 7?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Try Adobe After Effects. You can do whatever you want with movies. It offers much more than what Movie Maker can offer!

Likes 1 person
adjacent said:
Try Adobe After Effects. You can do whatever you want with movies. It offers much more than what Movie Maker can offer!

Thanks, but no good for my little netbook.My CPU is N570 @ 1.66GHz, way to low to run After Effects.
Thanks tho.

PhysicStragler said:
I preferable want it to either let you trim it manually or allow you to specify how long the video is in minutes not seconds.
1 minute=60 seconds. What's so unsatisfying about that?

1)Takes to long to figure out for anything that isn`t whole i.e i can`t always think clearly,and get muddled up.
2)When i found the correct time,and entered it in WMM it didn`t do the specified time,it when over,and when i tried to trim the film,it deleted it.

1. What is the best movie making software for Windows 7?

There are several movie making software options available for Windows 7, including Adobe Premiere Pro, Corel VideoStudio, and CyberLink PowerDirector. Each of these software programs offers different features and capabilities, so it ultimately depends on your specific needs and preferences.

2. Is there a free alternative to Windows Movie Maker for Windows 7?

Yes, there are several free movie making software options for Windows 7, such as OpenShot, Shotcut, and Windows Movie Maker 2012. These programs may have different interfaces and features compared to Windows Movie Maker, so it's worth trying out a few to see which one works best for you.

3. Can I import my projects from Windows Movie Maker XP to a different movie making software for Windows 7?

It depends on the software you choose to use. Some programs may have a feature that allows you to import projects from Windows Movie Maker, while others may not be compatible. It's best to check the specific software's website for more information.

4. Are there any movie making software options for Windows 7 that are specifically designed for beginners?

Yes, there are several movie making software programs that are beginner-friendly and easy to use. Some examples include Filmora, Movavi Video Editor, and Pinnacle Studio. These programs often have user-friendly interfaces and tutorials to help beginners get started.

5. Can I add special effects and transitions to my videos with movie making software for Windows 7?

Yes, many movie making software programs for Windows 7 offer a variety of special effects and transitions to enhance your videos. Some programs may have more advanced features than others, so it's important to research and compare different options to find the one that best fits your needs.