Nucleophilicity of Acetylide ion

• Thread starter hooli
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ion
In summary, acetylene (HCCH) is the strongest acid and weakest base among the listed compounds due to its low energy sp orbital. This results in the acetylide anion being highly basic and a strong nucleophile. While ethylene and ethane are also highly nucleophilic, acetylene's full negative charge and lack of steric hindrance make it a more effective nucleophile. It's important to note that nucleophilicity and basicity are not the same concepts.
hooli
I'm trying to understand the nucleophilicity of alkynes, my book lists the pKa's of acetylene (HCCH), ethylene (CH2CH2), and methane (CH3CH3) as 25, 44, and 50 respectively. This leads to the conclusion that HCCH -acetylene- is the strongest acid and hence the weakest base. The book then goes on to say that acetylide anions are highly basic (compared to ethyl anion and methyl anion assumably) and is thus the strongest nucleophile.
This seems to me to be a contradiction, the book clearly states that methyl anion is more basic than vinyl anion which is in turn more basic than acetylide anion. Then proceeds to say that actylide ion is highly nucleophilic. How does this work?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Hello,

It is possibly because of the fact that pi system in vinyl and extended pi system in acetylide causes the basicity to be lower than that of methyl. Pi bonds tend to love electron pairs, so basicity is lowered.

However, please let me inform you that nucleophility is not the same thing as basicity. Nucleophility is rather the desire to pull electrons to produce a negatively (or more partially negatively) charged species. Basicity is, very briefly, the desire for protons.

I hope I could be of some help.

Acetylene is more acidic because the lone pair that you are left with after deprotonation resides is in a low energy sp orbital, so the anion is more stabilized. This stabilization is less for ethylene (sp2 orbital) and ethane (sp3 orbital) because these are higher energy orbitals (they contain more p-character).

I think you are misreading the statement about nucleophilicity, however. Certainly the ethylene anion and ethyl anion are also highly nucleophilic, but acetylene is also a good nucleophile relative to your run-of-the-mill nucleophiles (e.g. primary amines, hydroxide, enolates) because it has a full negative charge and is relatively unhindered by sterics since there aren't any groups around. It's kind of like a spear while other nucleophiles are like a club.

And remember what Chem_tr said, nucleophilicty is not the same as basicity!

1. What is the definition of nucleophilicity?

Nucleophilicity is the ability of a molecule or ion to donate a pair of electrons to form a new covalent bond.

2. How does the acetylide ion exhibit nucleophilic behavior?

The acetylide ion has a negative charge, making it a strong nucleophile. The carbon atom in the ion has a high electron density, making it highly reactive and able to attack electrophiles.

3. What factors affect the nucleophilicity of the acetylide ion?

The nucleophilicity of the acetylide ion can be affected by steric hindrance, solvent effects, and the presence of other functional groups on the molecule. In general, a less bulky acetylide ion will have higher nucleophilicity.

4. How does the solvent affect the nucleophilicity of the acetylide ion?

Protic solvents, such as water or alcohols, can decrease the nucleophilicity of the acetylide ion by solvating the negative charge and making it less available for attack. Aprotic solvents, such as DMSO or DMF, have less of an effect on the nucleophilicity of the acetylide ion.

5. What are some common reactions involving the acetylide ion?

The acetylide ion is commonly used in reactions such as the addition of a terminal alkyne to a carbonyl compound to form an alcohol, known as the Alder-Ene reaction. It is also used in the synthesis of alkynes from alkyl halides in a dehydrohalogenation reaction.