Phone Number riddle: Solve & Remember

• Thread starter tribdog
  • Start date
In summary: OH I almost forgot there is also a three digit extension and the first digit equals the second but not the third and the sum of the digits of the product of the sum and the product of the digits of the extension is equal to the sum of the digits of the extension itself.Sum of digits of ext itself=1+1+4=6Sum=6, product=4 =>product of (sum and product)=6*4=24 => sum of digits of (product of (sum and product))=2+4=6
tribdog
It's not a toll free call, but if you dial it I'll answer. Here's an easy way to remember my phone number, you just break it into pieces:

the three digit area code:
the first digit is half the second digit and while the product of all 3 is a single digit their sum has two.

the prefix:
three digits, exactly two of which are the same. The difference between the first and the single digit sum of the other two is twice as big as the first is smaller than the single digit product of the other two.

the suffix:
the first two digits and the last two digits (in order) of a ten digit string of single digit numbers popular with both NASA and bomb exploders.

See how easy that was? OH I almost forgot there is also a three digit extension and the first digit equals the second but not the third and the sum of the digits of the product of the sum and the product of the digits of the extension is equal to the sum of the digits of the extension itself.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Oh that is cruel. I was going over how in the hell I could find three digits that multiplied to a single digit but also had one digit twice as large as the other for a good 10 minutes before I remembered 0.

Wait, is 0 considered a single digit number? Is it a single digit number? How is single digit defined? "6" is single digit so "06" is single digit, even though we used two digits. Wait, did I go off on a tangent? :rolleyes:

Alkatran said:
Oh that is cruel. I was going over how in the hell I could find three digits that multiplied to a single digit but also had one digit twice as large as the other for a good 10 minutes before I remembered 0.

Wait, is 0 considered a single digit number? Is it a single digit number? How is single digit defined? "6" is single digit so "06" is single digit, even though we used two digits. Wait, did I go off on a tangent? :rolleyes:

I already have the area code, but I have mutliple solutions for the prefix that work, so I gave up.

Don't know about the NASA stuff, but here's one solution for the rest:

(480) 833-abcd, ext:114

and that ext # doesn't work. try again

tribdog said:
OH I almost forgot there is also a three digit extension and the first digit equals the second but not the third and the sum of the digits of the product of the sum and the product of the digits of the extension is equal to the sum of the digits of the extension itself.
Sum of digits of ext itself = 1+1+4=6

Sum=6, product=4 =>product of (sum and product)=6*4=24 => sum of digits of (product of (sum and product))=2+4=6

I don't see the error. Or are you saying there isn't an error, but that's not the number to your phone?

my extension is 117

1. What is the "Phone Number riddle"?

The "Phone Number riddle" is a common puzzle that requires the solver to remember and solve a phone number based on a series of clues.

2. How do you solve the "Phone Number riddle"?

The "Phone Number riddle" can be solved by paying attention to the clues given and using deductive reasoning to determine the correct numbers for each digit in the phone number.

3. Can anyone solve the "Phone Number riddle"?

Yes, anyone can solve the "Phone Number riddle" with the right approach and attention to detail. It may take some time and critical thinking, but it is possible for anyone to solve it.

4. Are there any tips for solving the "Phone Number riddle"?

Some tips for solving the "Phone Number riddle" include writing down the clues, breaking down the number into smaller parts, and using the process of elimination to narrow down the possible combinations.

5. What skills does solving the "Phone Number riddle" require?

Solving the "Phone Number riddle" requires skills such as critical thinking, deductive reasoning, attention to detail, and the ability to think outside the box. It also requires good memory and the ability to recall information accurately.