What is the proof for the distance formula from a point to a plane?

In summary, the distance 'D' of a point (x0,y0,z0) from a plane ax + by + cz + d = 0 is given by the formula: D = \left|\frac{ax_0 + by_0 + cz_0 + d}{a^2 + b^2 + c^2}\right|. This can be derived by finding the projection of the line from any point on the plane to the point outside the plane onto the normal vector of the plane.
Reshma
The distance 'D' of a point (x0,y0,z0) from a plane ax + by +cz + d = 0 is given by the formula:

[tex]D = \left|\frac{ax_0 + by_0 + cz_0 + d}{a^2 + b^2 + c^2}\right|[/tex]

Could someone give me some explanation\links on the proof\derivation of this formula? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
First, do NOT use "d" in two distinct meanings! :grumpy:

I'll call the distance D hereafter.

Now, what should we mean by D?

Please answer the following question:
What is a meaningful definition of the distance from a plane to a point?

Arildno, as often as I have complained about people using capital letters ("D") and small letters ("d") to mean the same thing, I have no problem with using "D" and "d" to mean different things!

Reshma, there are two ways to do that:

1. For any point (x,y,z) in the plane, the square of the distance from that point to (x0, y0, z0) is
(x- x0)2+ (y- y0)2+ (z- z0)2). You can minimize that subject to the condition that ax+ by+ cz+ d= 0 by using Lagrange multipliers or by replacing z in the distance formula by z= (-ax-by-d)/c and then setting partial derivatives to 0.

2. (Simpler) Argue that, geometrically, the line from (x0,y0,z0) to the nearest point on the plane is perpendicular to the plane (any other line would be the hypotenuse of a right triangle and so longer than a leg). Find the equation of the line through (x0, y0, z0) in the direction of a normal vector to the plane (which is ai+ bj+ ck). Determine where that intersects the plane.

If you look at Reshma's edit, that was made while I wrote my post!
I agree, Reshma did correct his usage of small "d" to mean two different things (for distance AND for the constant term).

Thanks HallsofIvy and arildno. I will follow the technique that you have suggested and post my proof soon.

arildno said:
If you look at Reshma's edit, that was made while I wrote my post!
I agree, Reshma did correct his usage of small "d" to mean two different things (for distance AND for the constant term).
It is "her". :cry: Never mind, not your fault. :tongue2:

The vector normal to the plane ax + by + cz + d = 0 is:
[tex]\vec n = a\hat i + b\hat j + c\hat k[/tex]
The line from any point (x, y, z) on the plane to a point P(x0,y0,z0) lying outside the plane is:
[tex]\vec m = (x - x_0)\hat i + (y - y_0)\hat j + (z - z_0)\hat k[/tex]

So distance 'D' of P(x0,y0,z0) from the plane is equal to the projection of [itex]\vec m[/itex] on [itex]\vec n[/itex].

[tex]D = \frac{\left |\vec m \cdot \vec n\right|}{|\vec n|}[/tex]
[tex]D = \frac{a(x - x_0) + b(y - y_0) + c(z - z_0)}{\sqrt{a^2 + b^2 + c^2}}[/tex]

[tex]D = \left|\frac{ax_0 + by_0 + cz_0 + d}{\sqrt{a^2 + b^2 + c^2}\right|}[/tex]

considering the absolute values...

Last edited:

1. What is the distance formula?

The distance formula is a mathematical equation used to calculate the distance between two points in a coordinate plane. It is derived from the Pythagorean theorem and is represented as d = √((x2-x1)^2 + (y2-y1)^2), where (x1, y1) and (x2, y2) are the coordinates of the two points.

2. How is the distance formula used in real life?

The distance formula has many practical applications, such as finding the shortest distance between two locations on a map, calculating the distance traveled by a moving object, and determining the length of a line or segment in geometry problems.

3. What is the proof for the distance formula?

The proof for the distance formula involves using the Pythagorean theorem, which states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse (the side opposite the right angle) is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides. By applying this theorem to a right triangle formed by the two points and the distance between them, the distance formula can be derived.

4. Can the distance formula be used in any coordinate plane?

Yes, the distance formula can be used in any coordinate plane, as long as the coordinates of the two points are known. It is a universal equation that can be applied to any two points in a two-dimensional space.

5. Are there any other ways to calculate distance besides using the distance formula?

Yes, there are other methods for calculating distance, such as using the formula for slope to find the distance between two points on a line, or using trigonometric functions to find the distance between two points on a curved path. However, the distance formula is the most commonly used and efficient method for finding the distance between two points in a coordinate plane.