Position Vectors in Physics: r=(x,y,z) to r=xi+yj+zk

In summary, the position vector in a higher-level physics formalism like Lagrangian is not just based on the x,y,z coordinate system, but also on the e1,e2,e3 Cartesian basis vectors.
Bim
For describing position of a particle we need vector coordinates r=(x,y,z). But when you go to higher physics like lagrangian formalism also basis vectors are introduced. The position vector then becomes r=xi+yj+zk, where i,j,k are basis vectors. Why do we have do do that? Why is not enough just to use the r=x+y+z?

Physics news on Phys.org
One doesn't need to lagrangian mech. to enounter, xi+yj+zk, Newtonian would do. x+y+z is just a number, which is different from (x,y,z), an ordered triplet. The i,j,k specify the directions.

It's merely a notational preference.

I did not mean it so simply. It has to do with equations of motion, that they are independent of basis. So any elaboration in this regard would be very much appreciated. Why do the equations of motion become independent of basis when we introduce the i,j,k vectors?

erg... xi+yj+zk is not independent of basis, the standard basis is being used here. i,j,k are e1,e2,e3.
xi+yi+zk=x(1,0,0)+y(0,1,0)+z(0,0,1)=(x,y,z)

or maybe I am wrong, though this is how this things were shown in some books i have at home(30 years old or so, from uni of california)

It's because i,j,k are Cartesian rectangular co-ordiantes: the preferred basis for Newtonian mechanics. Newton's eqns. look ugly in anything other than Cartesian coordinates. So when doing Newton's physics in a Cartesian basis, the vectors themselves don't feature in the equations, so it appears as if they're not really there.

When doing physics in other co-ordinate systems, the basis vectors also appear in the equations. If you tried doing non-Lagrangian (i.e. simpler Newtonian mechanics) in a non-Cartesian basis the basis vectors would still feature. e.g. try finding the equations of motion in planar polar co-ordinates using just Newton and differentiating vectors: you'll (obviously) get the same result that Lagrangian mechanics would give you.

note: I've made the simple association with basis vectors and co-ordinate systems using the notion of the co-ordinate basis.

Thanks Masudr!

1. What is a position vector in physics?

A position vector in physics is a mathematical representation of the location of a point in space. It is typically denoted by the symbol r and is defined as the distance and direction from an origin point to the point in question. In other words, it describes the position of an object relative to a fixed point.

2. How is a position vector represented in physics?

A position vector is represented using Cartesian coordinates, which consist of three values: x, y, and z. These values represent the distances along the x, y, and z axes, respectively. The position vector can be written as r=(x,y,z) or in component form as r=xi+yj+zk, where i, j, and k are unit vectors in the x, y, and z directions.

3. What is the significance of a position vector in physics?

The position vector is a fundamental concept in physics as it allows us to define the position of an object in space and study its motion. It is used in various equations and concepts, such as displacement, velocity, and acceleration. It also helps in determining the distance between two points in space and the direction in which an object is moving.

4. How is the magnitude of a position vector calculated?

The magnitude of a position vector is calculated using the Pythagorean theorem. It is the square root of the sum of the squares of the components of the vector. In other words, it is the distance between the origin point and the point in question, given by the formula |r| = √(x²+y²+z²).

5. Can a position vector have negative components?

Yes, a position vector can have negative components. The negative sign indicates the direction of the vector. For example, if the x component is negative, it means the point is located to the left of the origin along the x-axis. Similarly, a negative y component indicates the point is below the origin along the y-axis, and a negative z component indicates the point is behind the origin along the z-axis.