Paper Tower Challenge: Build a Stable Tower Using 1 Sheet & 3 Feet of Tape!

• Thread starter whateverr151
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Paper Tower
In summary, for a technology assignment, the task is to create a paper tower using only one 8 1/2 by 11 sheet of paper and 3 feet of tape. The tower must be able to stand for 5 minutes and must be secure using the provided materials. The original idea was to create an Eiffel Tower shape, but the middle part is proving difficult. Suggestions were given to consider using strong shapes and gusset plates to reinforce the structure. The method of attaching the paper, whether through glue or other means, was also mentioned.
whateverr151
technology assignment= PAPER TOWER

you can only use one 8 1/2 by 11 sheet of paper and 3 feet of tape
you can tape it to the floor
has to stand for 5 minutes

there are other threads about paper towers but none of them are specific enough to understand.

i was going to do the eiffel tower approach but i can't seem to figure out an idea for the middle part:

//||\\
________ <------------
// || \\

any ideasss?:confused: :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
Thread moved to homework forums -- Intro Physics.

Welcome to the PF, whateverr151. For lower-division homework (even projects like this), the posts should be in the homework forums. And on homework problems and questions, you should show some of your own work so far, as well as state any relevant principles that you think are involved.

So your Eiffel Tower approach sounds interesting. Does the tower have to support some amount of weight while it is standing "for 5 minutes"?

What do you think are the strongest shapes? This should help both in your overall design shape, and also the shape you make you "columns". Also, consider making some sort of gusset plates for each seam.

What are you using to attach paper to paper(glue?)?

1. What is the purpose of the Paper Tower Challenge?

The purpose of the Paper Tower Challenge is to test your engineering and problem-solving skills by building a stable tower using only one sheet of paper and three feet of tape.

2. What materials do I need for the Paper Tower Challenge?

You will need one sheet of paper (standard size) and three feet of tape (any kind). You may also use scissors if needed, but they are not required.

3. How do I begin building my tower?

Start by folding or rolling the paper into a cylindrical shape. Use the tape to secure the edges and create a base for your tower. From there, you can continue to add layers and use the tape to stabilize the structure.

4. What are some tips for building a stable tower?

Some tips for building a stable tower include making sure the base is wide and sturdy, using tape to create support beams and cross-bracing, and balancing the weight of the tower by evenly distributing the paper and tape.

5. How will my tower be judged?

Your tower will be judged based on its stability - how long it can stand without collapsing. The tallest tower does not necessarily mean it is the most stable, so focus on creating a sturdy and balanced structure.