Compressible air flow thorugh pipe

In summary: This is where numerical analysis can come in handy. Using software like Fluent, you can create a model of the system and accurately determine the discharge velocity.
munni
Hi guys:

I am wondering with issue regarding high speed (subsonic) compressible air flow thorugh a pipe exit to atmosphere. So here is detail:

Air coming from a reservoir and flowing thorugh an adiabatic constant area pipe and exit to atmosphere at the end of the pipe. Due to high velocity (M>0.3) we have to use compressible flow.
Now my question is:

1. from physical point of view will the flow reach M =1 at the exit always? I mean regardless of the pipe length. Since the air discharging to the atmosphere, I found from some forum they are saying it will be sonic velocity all the time.

2. from numerical analysis point: I did some simulation and i found no matter what pipe lentgh I use, the flow is choke at the exit (M = 1). If this is not right from physical point of view, how can overcome this issue. I am using atmosphereic pressure (0 gauge) at the outlet of the pipe as my boundary condition.

Comments are welcome.

Munni

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi munni,
This question comes up fairly often regarding vent headers on industrial processes, especially for example, relief valve outlets.

Whether or not a shock wave exists at the exit of a pipe is dependant on the flow rate. The flow rate may depend on the pressure drop throughout the piping system, but eventually you need to determine both pressure drop and flow rate through the pipe. Whether or not a shock wave is found at the pipe discharge is an integral part of that flow calculation.

In the case of a relief valve discharging through a vent header system to atmosphere, the flow rate is determined by the flow through the RV. Knowing this flow, you can determine if the exit velocity must exceed mach 1 or not. If the velocity doesn't need to exceed mach 1, there won't be a shock wave at the pipe exit.

In other cases, such as if you only have a pressure drop through the piping system, the flow rate and discharge velocity must be determined together.

Hi Munni,

To answer your first question, the flow will not always reach M=1 at the exit of the pipe regardless of the pipe length. The Mach number at the exit depends on various factors such as the initial conditions, pipe length, and pressure conditions at the exit. If the pipe length is long enough and the pressure conditions at the exit are favorable, the flow may not reach M=1. However, if the pipe length is short and the pressure conditions at the exit are not favorable, the flow may reach M=1. The key factor here is the pressure conditions at the exit, which can greatly affect the Mach number of the flow.

Regarding your second question, numerical analysis can provide a good approximation of the flow behavior, but it is important to validate the results with experimental data. If your simulation consistently shows a choked flow at the exit, it could be due to the boundary conditions you are using. Atmospheric pressure at the outlet may not accurately represent the actual pressure conditions at the exit, which can affect the Mach number of the flow. It would be beneficial to compare your simulation results with experimental data or use more accurate boundary conditions to improve the accuracy of your results.

I hope this helps. Best of luck with your project!

1. What is compressible air flow?

Compressible air flow refers to the movement of air through a pipe or channel in which the air undergoes changes in pressure and density due to the effects of compression and expansion.

2. How is compressible air flow different from incompressible flow?

Incompressible flow occurs when the density of the fluid remains constant throughout the flow, while compressible flow involves changes in density due to compression or expansion.

3. What factors affect compressible air flow through a pipe?

The key factors that affect compressible air flow through a pipe include the pipe diameter, air velocity, temperature, and pressure gradients along the pipe.

4. What is the significance of Mach number in compressible air flow?

Mach number is a dimensionless quantity that represents the ratio of the air flow velocity to the speed of sound. It is an important parameter in compressible air flow as it determines whether the flow is subsonic, sonic, or supersonic.

5. How is compressible air flow through a pipe calculated?

The compressible air flow through a pipe can be calculated using various equations, such as the continuity equation, Bernoulli's equation, and the isentropic flow equation. These equations take into account the factors that affect compressible air flow and can be solved using numerical methods or software programs.