Why do we need to apply a force to lift an object against gravity?

In summary: THighly appreciated question. In summary, a force of 80 N is needed to lift an object of 80 N weight (mg =80 N) upto 1m height (h). If the object is not going to move, then 80 J work is done.
Mr Virtual
Hi all

The question I am going to ask is such that, had I asked it from my friends, they would have laughed at me. Instead I am asking you (atleast I won't have to see you laughing, whether you reply or not ).

We all learned in junior classes that work done in lifting an object of mass m against gravity, to a height h = mgh
In higher standards, we learned that opposite forces cancel each other.

Accordingly, if you have to lift an object of 80 N weight (mg =80 N) upto 1m height (h), you will have to apply a force of 80 N, thus doing 80 J work (=mgh).
But the thing I do not understand is, if 80 N applied by me is canceled by
80 N weight of the object, how is it going to move. And if it is not going to move, how can we do 80 J work.

Where am I wrong? I know textbooks cannot be wrong. But where am I missing it?
So keep laughing, but do answer my question if it is worth it (or even if it is not !).

Thanks
Mr V

Physics news on Phys.org
THe key is understanding that the "net work" done over the move is zero.

When first starting to lift the object, you have to exert a force that is equal to the weight of the object PLUS a little more force to accelerate it slightly. Then, as you continue to lift the object at (more or less) a constant speed, the net force must be zero. Then as the object comes to a stop at the top, you decrease your force so that gravity is slightly more and the net force is now downward; again the net force causes an acceleration that decreases the speed, and the object stops.

Integrated over the entire move, the work done by you exactly equals the negative work done by gravity.

And sometimes textbooks are wrong. And this is a very good question, one that shows an acute appreciation of this concept. Look into the proper definition of the "Work-Energy Theorem" which says the net work done on an object equals the change in KE of the object.

In the case you mentioned, work done by gravity = -80 J
Work done by you = 80 J
If you consider both forces, consider the net work, which as expected, is 0

Thanks a lot to all of you for your helpful answers. So you didn't laugh after all. Thank god !

regards
Mr V

What is work done against gravity?

Work done against gravity is the amount of energy expended to move an object against the force of gravity. It is a measure of the force required to lift an object to a certain height.

How is work done against gravity calculated?

The formula for calculating work done against gravity is: W = mgh, where W is the work done, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height the object is lifted to.

What is the relationship between work done against gravity and potential energy?

Work done against gravity is directly related to potential energy. As an object is lifted against the force of gravity, its potential energy increases. The work done against gravity is equal to the change in potential energy.

Does the weight of an object affect the work done against gravity?

Yes, the weight of an object does affect the work done against gravity. The greater the weight of an object, the more work is required to lift it to a certain height. This is because the weight is a factor in the formula for calculating work done against gravity.

Can work be done against gravity in a horizontal direction?

No, work can only be done against gravity in a vertical direction. This is because the force of gravity acts in a downward direction, and work is defined as force multiplied by distance in the direction of the force.