What is the range of the function g: ZxZ --> ZxZ given by g(m,n)=(m-n,m+n)?

Can you find a pair (m,n) such that (m,n) maps to (p,q)?In summary, the range of the function g is all pairs (p,q) such that p and q are integers and p+q is even. This is because for any pair (p,q) with both p and q odd, there exists a pair (m,n) of integers such that g(m,n)=(p,q) by solving the equations m=(p+q)/2 and n=(p-q)/2. Therefore, the range satisfies both requirements of being a subset of Range(g) and Range(g) being a subset of it, making it equal to Range(g).
geskekj

Homework Statement

Find the range of the function g: ZxZ --> ZxZ given by g(m,n)=(m-n,m+n). Hints: First recall that if f: A ---> B then Range (f)={b e B such that there exists an A in A with b=f(a). Second, if you claim that some set C is the range, then you must show that i) C is a subset Range(f) and ii) range (f) is a subset of C. Both i and ii are required to conclude that C=range(f).

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

I am think that the range is all integers from -infinity to +infinity.

I know that:
* ZxZ denotes a set of ordered pairs.
* m,n exist in Z
* range (g) exists in Z

I don't know where to go with this!

Physics news on Phys.org
The range is all pairs (p,q) such that (p,q)=(m+n,m-n) for integers m and n. Solve for m and n in terms of p and q. Now rethink your guess that the range is all integer pairs. E.g. is (1,2) in the range?

So we figured out that p=q. So our new guess for the range is all integers such that p=q for the ordered pair (p,q). If we say that, is that enough to justify our answer?

How did you figure out p=q? p=m+n, q=m-n for the domain value (m,n) and ask yourself when m and n are both integers. That's two equations in two unknowns. Solve them. Your new guess is worse than the last.

Actually, let's go back. You never answered my question. Is (1,2) in the range? If you answer that it will give you a big clue in a non-abstract sense.

(1,2) is not in the range. When substituted in the equations for p and q the results for m and n are not integers.
After looking at your first response to our terrible answer, we looked that problem and decided that the range is (p,q) when p and q are any even integers.
**I am working on this a group of people and the more we talk about it, the more confused we get.**

If you solved those equations you should have gotten m=(p+q)/2 and n=(p-q)/2. Now think about pairs (p,q) where both p and q are odd.

1. What is discrete mathematics?

Discrete mathematics is a branch of mathematics that deals with discrete structures and objects, rather than continuous ones. It involves topics such as logic, set theory, graph theory, combinatorics, and algorithms.

2. Why is discrete mathematics important?

Discrete mathematics is important because it provides the foundation for many other areas of mathematics and computer science. It is used to model and solve real-world problems in various fields such as computer science, engineering, and economics.

3. What are some applications of discrete mathematics?

Discrete mathematics has many applications in different fields. For example, it is used in computer science for designing algorithms, in cryptography for creating secure communication systems, in genetics for analyzing DNA sequences, and in economics for modeling market behavior.

4. Is discrete mathematics difficult to learn?

Discrete mathematics can be challenging for some people, as it involves abstract concepts and rigorous proofs. However, with practice and dedication, anyone can learn and understand the fundamentals of discrete mathematics.

5. How can I improve my understanding of discrete mathematics?

To improve your understanding of discrete mathematics, it is important to practice solving problems and exercises, as well as studying and reviewing the key concepts. It can also be helpful to work with a teacher or tutor who can provide guidance and support.