Buoyancy: Can Force Be Greater Than Mass?

• Thread starter kaweezah
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Buoyancy
In summary: In other words, the object is being pushed down by the added mass of the balloon, rather than pulled down by the weight of the ship.
kaweezah
Is it be possible for the buoyancy force be greater than the object's mass? when can it be?

Physics news on Phys.org
This sounds like homework. Do you have any thoughts? Further, I don't think you mean "mass" since one cannot compare objects with different dimensions.

kaweezah said:
Is it be possible for the buoyancy force be greater than the object's mass? when can it be?

Think about boats, ships etc.. they all float !

hey cristo...i meant WEIGHT...

kaweezah said:

Of course. Whenever the volume of the object in question displaces more mass of the substance it is immersed in than it's own mass.

Edit: Whoops. Sorry stewartcs, yep that link just about sums it up!:approve:

as far as i know
well in the big boats they keep some type of air at the bottom of the boat so that there is more bouncy so in other words i think so

The potential buoyancy of an object is completely unrelated to its weight. The actual buoyant force on an object that is floating is exactly equal to its weight. The buoyant force on a submerged object depends on its volume and the weight density of the fluid only.

noagname said:
as far as i know
well in the big boats they keep some type of air at the bottom of the boat so that there is more bouncy so in other words i think so
As a matter of fact, at the very bottom of big boats is where the heaviest equipment and fuel are kept, for stability. Otherwise, anywhere below the water line of a boat, where there is nothing but air (ie, in the middle of a corridor or room), that air is where water could have been, so it contributes to buoyancy.

ok so i am taking it that i am half right and half wrong
just like a glass of water

I asked this question because I've read sources always stopping if their weights are EQUAL..never saying if the boat was lighter that it could still be possible then...why is it that those sources never mention the lighter thing/part...

Because boats don't get pulled down - In order to submerge an object that has enough buoyancy to float, you have to use another force to force it underwater.

You can raise shipwrecks from the sea-bottom by attaching inflatable balloons, or floaters to them.

The point about doing this is to increase the volume of displaced water, so that the ship+balloon system will experience a buoyancy force greater than its weight.

1. What is buoyancy?

Buoyancy is the upward force experienced by an object when it is submerged in a fluid, such as water or air. This force is equal to the weight of the displaced fluid and helps objects float or sink in the fluid.

2. How is buoyancy related to force and mass?

Buoyancy is directly related to the force and mass of an object. The greater the force applied to an object, the greater its mass and therefore its buoyancy. However, buoyancy can also be affected by the density and shape of an object.

3. Can force be greater than mass in terms of buoyancy?

No, force cannot be greater than mass in terms of buoyancy. This is because the buoyant force is determined by the weight of the displaced fluid, which is equal to the weight of the object. Therefore, the force cannot be greater than the mass of the object.

4. How does the density of an object affect its buoyancy?

The density of an object is a key factor in determining its buoyancy. Objects with lower densities than the fluid they are submerged in will experience a greater buoyant force and float, while objects with higher densities will sink. This is why objects made of lighter materials, like wood or plastic, tend to float in water.

5. What is the principle behind Archimedes' principle?

Archimedes' principle states that the buoyant force acting on an object is equal to the weight of the fluid it displaces. This means that the more fluid an object displaces, the greater its buoyant force will be. This principle helps to explain why some objects float while others sink, based on their densities and the amount of fluid they displace.