Aerospace Engineering vs Engineering Physics

In summary, if you are interested in flight and propulsion, you may want to consider studying aircraft maintenance engineering. This field requires a solid knowledge of physics, but simply studying physics and math will not necessarily lead to a career in this industry. Aircraft engineering is a specialty field and often involves traceability for safety purposes.
Warr
I'm having a hard choice on what to aim for. I am really interested in flight/propulsion/etc, but also would like a general knowledge so that I keep my options open. I am intent on working as hard as possible, so difficulty or application is not of concern to me. What are some of the advantages/disadvantages of each major? I'm not even completely clear on what an engineering physics program has to offer and what kinds of things it would lead to in terms of careers. Any information or insight would be helpful. Thanks :)

Physics news on Phys.org
You are the best, whatever...You are welcome :)

The field you would aim at if you eventually wanted to build neat new airplanes
would be Aircraft Maintenance Engineering .
This does require a solid knowledge of physics , but studying physics and
math will not , by itself , lead you anywhere .
Aircraft Enginering is a specialty field .
The industry relies on everything being traceable to who built it , in case
anything fails .

1. What is the difference between Aerospace Engineering and Engineering Physics?

Aerospace Engineering is a specialized field of engineering that focuses on the design, development, and construction of aircraft and spacecraft. On the other hand, Engineering Physics is a branch of physics which applies principles of physics to solve engineering problems.

2. Which field has better job prospects - Aerospace Engineering or Engineering Physics?

Both Aerospace Engineering and Engineering Physics offer good job prospects. However, Aerospace Engineering has a more specialized focus and is in high demand in the aerospace industry. Engineering Physics, on the other hand, offers a broader range of job opportunities in various fields such as research, development, and consulting.

3. Can I study both Aerospace Engineering and Engineering Physics?

Yes, it is possible to study both Aerospace Engineering and Engineering Physics. Some universities offer dual degree programs that allow students to pursue both fields simultaneously. However, this may require an additional year of study.

4. What are the key skills required for a career in Aerospace Engineering or Engineering Physics?

Some key skills required for a career in Aerospace Engineering include strong problem-solving abilities, analytical thinking, and attention to detail. For Engineering Physics, key skills include a strong foundation in physics principles, critical thinking, and mathematical proficiency.

5. Which field offers better opportunities for research and innovation?

Both Aerospace Engineering and Engineering Physics offer opportunities for research and innovation. Aerospace Engineering focuses on developing new technologies and designs for aircraft and spacecraft, while Engineering Physics focuses on applying physics principles to develop new technologies and solve complex engineering problems.