Improving Fly Ash Deposition in Horizontal Circular Ducting

In summary: Flame and CombustionIn summary, according to the conversation, the fly ash may collect in the horizontal ducting and eventually cause the duct to be partially clogged. This problem has led to several impacts to the plant operation.
cucu_datoonn
Hi all..

Currently I'm mess up myself with a study of an improvement of incineration fly ash deposition in horizontal circular ducting hapen in my incineration plant. This plant treated the hazardous industrial waste as a fuel using fludised bed reactor and silica sand as an innert material. As a product of combustion process, the fly ash flows together with the flue gas to the next chamber (gas cooler) via the circular ducting. The flow initially in vertical direction before enter the horizontal ducting. The was an induced draft by IDF fan which maintain the plant in negative gauge pressure.

Due to some reason, the fly ash inside the flue gas tends to settle down at the floor of circular ducting (horizontal) and eventually will caused the ducting will partially clogged. This problem lead to several impact to the plant operation.

My question here is:
i) Did anyone here can help me with the litrature study of this problem.
ii) Did anyone here can help me to do some knowledge mapping regarding this phenomenon.
ii) I intend to use CFD Fluent to do some analysis on the flow pattern. Can anyone here help me with this stuff?
iv) Did anyone can help me about the particle transport theory?

Thanks in advance

Engineering news on Phys.org
To my knowledge particular matter modeling in FLUENT is not an easy job and getting reliable solutions for soot/ash deposition in the duct isn't either.

To my knowledge particular matter modeling in FLUENT is not an easy job and getting reliable solutions for soot/ash deposition in the duct isn't either.

Dear jaap de vries,
Thanks for your comment, since then, do u have any idea about this particular problem? If you can guide me for a knowledge mapping it's very good enough in the mean time and i'll really appreciate that. Looking foward for your next comment. Thanks in advance.

Well what solutions are you looking for from your CFD? It could still be used to predict pressure loss ones you 'obstruct the flow'

This is not necessarily my expertise but I would assume that that are standard soot/ash traps available for the furnace industry.

So for highly academic results you might want to look in
Combustion and Flame
Proceedings of the combustion institute
Combustion Science and Technology

1. What is fly ash deposition and why is it a problem in horizontal circular ducting?

Fly ash deposition is the accumulation of fine particles, primarily composed of silica and alumina, on the walls of horizontal circular ducts. These particles are byproducts of coal combustion and can cause blockages or reduced airflow, leading to decreased efficiency and increased maintenance costs.

2. How can fly ash deposition be improved in horizontal circular ducting?

There are several methods that can be used to improve fly ash deposition in horizontal circular ducting. These include controlling the particle size and composition of the fly ash, increasing the velocity of the air flowing through the duct, and utilizing anti-deposition coatings on the duct walls.

3. What are the benefits of improving fly ash deposition in horizontal circular ducting?

Improving fly ash deposition in horizontal circular ducting can lead to increased efficiency and reduced maintenance costs. It can also improve the overall air quality and reduce the risk of equipment failure due to blockages.

4. Are there any potential drawbacks to improving fly ash deposition in horizontal circular ducting?

While improving fly ash deposition can have numerous benefits, there are also potential drawbacks to consider. Some methods, such as increasing air velocity, may require additional energy consumption. There may also be a higher upfront cost for implementing anti-deposition coatings.

5. What other factors should be considered when trying to improve fly ash deposition in horizontal circular ducting?

In addition to the methods mentioned above, other factors that should be considered include the design and layout of the ducting system, the type of fuel being burned, and the operating conditions. It is important to analyze all of these factors in order to determine the most effective solution for improving fly ash deposition in a specific system.